I am thinking of getting one (this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=43545&doy=14m12 ) and I was wondering if anyone knew if each track on the mixer can correspond with a different track on the software on the computer? For example, i could have vocals on channel 1 of the mixer and record them onto track 1 in the software and a guitar on channel 2 of the mixer and record that onto a seperate track in the software? It now looks as if the signals are combined and sent as a single stereo track but that seems to me to almost defeat the purpose of having one?

If anyone who has one or has used one or something similar could shed some light on this I'd be grateful
Yes.

That's the advantage of using a USB or Firewire mixer as opposed to an analog one.
so it can be done? people keep telling me that it's just stereo out that;s all. I could assign all 8 channels to different tracks in the software and have all 8 individual audio tracks come through on 8 seperate channels?
I have a Tascam DP01, and it has the option to export the master or export each individual track to a .wav file.

EDIT: the Tascam doubles as a hard disk recorder though...so im not too sure