Alright, I've pretty much decided on selling my Boogie Mark IV medium head. It's just too expensive for me at this point (going to college next year) so I'd like to get something cheaper to replace it with - and use the extra cash to get a decent acoustic + have a few hundred left over. It's not that I don't like it, I love it actually, and will buy another one eventually.

So far I'm thinking a cheap Peavey 5150 or 5150 II (or 6505/6505+) would do well for me. I'll be keeping the Mesa 1x12 3/4 back cab. Something cheaper would be nice though - any suggestions? I play a lot of prog and prog metal, and my own brand of mildly shreddy lead in no particular style. great cleans aren't necessary, I always find myself worrying about them but it never really bothers me to have only OK cleans. They should be passable though.
Unless your Mark IV is brand new and still has warranty I don't think you'll be able to get an acoustic guitar and a couple hundred by trading it for a 5150.

5150 will run you $600-$800 depending on condition.

5150 II will tack on another $150 to either end of the price scale...

Most Mesa Mark IV are having a hard time selling for anything over $1200, even in great shape. I know a couple guys who are having a hard time getting $1000 or $1,100 out of em. Some are going for even less on eBay right now.

So unless the $200-$400 difference is enough to net you an acoustic and satisfaction.. I don't think it's worth it. Most Mark IV owners love their amps too much to downgrade like that for a couple hundred bucks.

EDIT:

Annnd you say that about cleans now, but once you get rid of your Mark IV I have a feeling you'll be missing them quite a bit. the Mark has amazing cleans in comparison to anything you'll be affording after taking $400+ out of your Mark IV sale.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Dec 13, 2007,
Ah, that sucks.. when I bought it back in September they were all going for $1200+.. I got mine for $1300. For some reason I was under the impression that 5150's were only around $400-$500.

In that case I guess it's not worth it - I'll just suck it up and shell out more for an acoustic My main reason for wanting to sell was that I didn't think I would bring the amp to school. Does anyone know if anyone really brings their amps to dorms and plays? Do people get pissed off?

edit: It was easy to talk me out of that one !
Quote by REPOMAN
Ah, that sucks.. when I bought it back in September they were all going for $1200+.. I got mine for $1300. For some reason I was under the impression that 5150's were only around $400-$500.

The combos are around that price.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by REPOMAN

In that case I guess it's not worth it - I'll just suck it up and shell out more for an acoustic My main reason for wanting to sell was that I didn't think I would bring the amp to school. Does anyone know if anyone really brings their amps to dorms and plays? Do people get pissed off?

edit: It was easy to talk me out of that one !

Peaveys are cheap but it's hard to get one in good shape with good tubes for $500. You could probably pick up a beat up old 5150 for that price, but you'd want to re tube it. a 5150 II at it's cheapest is gonna be abour $700-$750... Still quite a bit.

The Mark IV prices are going downhill, too. I might actually buy one which is why I know. It's unfortunate that alot of people spent so much on the marks and then the price dropped like that. You can still maybe get what you paid for it, but I'd guess only if it's absolutely mint and you know how to work ebay (or know someone willing to pay for it..)

Basically if you sold high ($1300) and bought low ($500+tubes) it would be possible. but a 5150 II (with 2 EQs, which is actually really nice..) would be more expensive.

I know a bassist who has two GK bass cabs and a head under his bed in his dorm ... I'd imagine you could just switch your mark over to 30w mode and run an attenuator into a 1x12 cab. I'm sure that as long as you play during decent hours nobody will care. My friend plays his hollowbody ibanez all the time and his roommates don't mind.

and think of it this way.. We didn't talk you OUT of selling your mark. We talked you into keeping it you'll probably be happier with it anyway.

Edit: The mark would actually make a pretty good practice rig with a 1x12 cab.. it's what I had planned for one if I bought it. Except i was thinking of running a rocktron ?? piranha preamp into it thru the loop. would be pretty wicked.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Dec 13, 2007,
Well it's sure as hell not mint - it's probably 15 years old, kind of dirty, and I broke the fan as soon as I got it It was vibrating against the chassis so I unplugged it and took it out, when I put it back in it didn't work. It's been fine for three months without it, and doesn't get too hot.. early models didn't even have it so I hope to not have to buy a new one.

And yeah I had no idea that Mark IV prices dropped like they did! I'm still thinking if I really did choose to sell it I could get a $1250 buy it now if I retubed and took the fan out completely. I am good at ebay, mainly because I always allow international shipping on computer stuff which is like 2x as much in Europe.

Either way i still have to check out the Penn State dorms and campus.. so I'll see if it might be possible. I'm hoping at a school that size that there will be plenty of musicians to play/jam with!

edit: I've just been using it by itself for practice and playing with my band - no effects or anything else. On the 30w setting it sounds just "OK" at practice volume levels (which is now even quieter since we moved into an apartment from a house ). It gets way better as it's turned up, and the 30w with the master at 10 and lead at 3-4 is good enough for band practice. using the 3/4 back Mesa cab 1x12
Last edited by REPOMAN at Dec 13, 2007,
Yeah I have no doubt that a competent eBayer could get a bit of money out of one. I was just trying to be as realistic as possible. The marks are certainly getting cheaper now. There was a short head w/ full retube that went for less than $975 earlier this week. That's the lowest I've ever seen a Mark IV go for in the last few years. A well represented Mark IV with tubes should fetch a good price if it works..

I can't speak for Penn State etc but I know that at U of O and UW they don't care about it. I think it's basically as long as you aren't making alot of noise during sleep or study time it doesn't matter much. They certainly won't say you can't have it.. More than likely you'll just have a restricted time schedule or be told not to play it loudly at all.

I know some schools even have practice/rehearsal rooms open. Some 24/7 University of Washington does IIRC.

Have you looked into power attenuators? It could drop the volume of the amp even further as they're still loud as hell even in 30w mode. Perhaps a speaker which breaks up easier and an attenuator would help get a good tone at a lower volume?
i have my mark iv in my dorm room. the quarter stack is bigger than my mini fridge + microwave hahaha
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce