Due to lack of bassits in my area, I'm thinking of becoming a bassist instead. I'm not gonna have a whole lot of money, so any cheap yet good recomendations? I don't mean a 200$ bass+amp pack, I want quality; just not top of the line. I don't have a set budget and like things from metal, rock, hard rock, heavey metal, and Primus type stuff.
^Thunderbirds are cool.

But it's either that or a Fender Jazz Bass. Around $450, and they never fail.
The.
Since I don't know if I will like it, and I'll need an amp, any other suggestions? Amp suggestions?
Don't touch Behringer. Tone sucks.

But then to totally contradict myself, TS, try out basses and amps, please. Don't just buy random stuff on the internet based off of reviews.

And maybe you should start off with a starter. You're just starting out, and for that, starter packs ARE quality. Why spend a shedload on something you might not enjoy doing? Resale values on instruments are shocking.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't touch Behringer. Tone sucks.

But then to totally contradict myself, TS, try out basses and amps, please. Don't just buy random stuff on the internet based off of reviews.

And maybe you should start off with a starter. You're just starting out, and for that, starter packs ARE quality. Why spend a shedload on something you might not enjoy doing? Resale values on instruments are shocking.

I was getting suggestions for things to try out at the store, and usually you can get better than what you pay for with starter packs. So, I was just wondering what all to try.
^Check his price range.

Go with a starter pack, you'll get everything from amp cable to instruction. Along with the bass of course. Squier has a good one, also Ibanez, hartke, and Peavey. I would check them out. But personally I like Squier.

Don't get a thunderbird. They suck. Horrible tone and sound, and a huge neck dive. Steer clear of them.