ok well this thread might sound stupid, but i could really use some help. see, i have this band, we're 3 people, and im drumming. We have only been togteher for a short while but we are pretty good according to a lot of other people. we have a couple originals, and one cover remix thing. we would like to record them, but we dont know how. as the drummer, i find it really hard to stay completely in time all the time with the metranome, without playing with any of the music or anything. to make it easier for me, should we record all together and the vox later, or just keep recording seperate tracks? how do i fix the metranome problem? oh and also, we arent planning on this being like a super omg recording. this is in a basement with a laptop and sony acid 5.0 so i mean...
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
either record live or have your guitarist play along with you through an amp with headphone jack. then when the drums are done record the other stuff.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
record all of you together exactly how you would play it in practice.

then have everyone listen to that recording with headphones and play along to it individually. that way you should stay in time since your playing along with the song exactly the same way you want it. multi tracking is the way to go if you want it to sound decent (er, as good as can sound in a basment witha laptop).

yeah but what if we play it off time when we record all together?
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
what my friend does is this, he puts up a click track and has the guitarist record a VERY rough take, really all that matters is that the guitarist stay in time and does his part for the right # of bars (flubbed squelched notes are no biggy as long as it stays in time) so that the drummer and can sit down with the click track and the rough guitars and record until the drums are perfect, then have the guitarist/s go back over and redo their guitar track till its "perfect" then add bass and vocals etc the same way. he does it like this to maintain the structure of the song. if there is a bridge with additional instruments he'll have rough takes of those done too as i said to maintain the structure of the song for the drummer to play to

EDIT: BUT if you have an actual mixer and enough mics to record your whole band you can set everything up to the right levels, lay down a click track and have your drummer put headphones on and play to the click track this way he SHOULD be able to keep perfect time with the click.
Last edited by z4twenny at Dec 14, 2007,
Recording is hard. You want to have the rhythm section (bass and drums) done before you try to record the melodic part (guitar, keyboards, etc) and you should ALL play with a metronome to stay on time. With the bass, drums, and a metronome (all of my buddies who have recorded said the studio provided a metronome) you should be able to stay on time. It still isn't easy, have to nail everything for recording.

If your drummer and bassist are off time though, well, they need to go back to the basics because that's their job.