to play with your pinky instead of your 3rd finger?
I try and try to play with my 3rd finger to form power chords, but It hurts after a while, because I need to strerch my fingers alot. I'm more comfortable with my pinky, and some people said i was wrong. Is it?
It's not wrong to do anything. If that's how you feel most comfortable and it's not making your technique worse, then do it.
in fact i think it might be better since most people are reluctant to use their pinky.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
its much better to use your pinky imo because it also helps you with bar major chords as well, because you use your 3rd finger for the 3rd interval.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Yeah ive been playing for a few years and use my pinkey for them usually. Easier and works your pinkey alot.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
You should also practice stretching with your third finger though cause you'll need it eventually. but as long as you can do both it doesn't matter. I play octave chord with my pinky.
I use my pinky for the power chords below the tenth fret or so.
It really depends on your hand structure.
Using the third finger is uncomfortable for some people.
The Whale Of Woe of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
I as well prefer using my pinky instead of my ring finger. Just feels a whole lot more comfortable to me. Though I have developed strength on my ring finger jsut in case. Jusy play however the hell you want to play.

And for those who say that your technique is bad... Tony Iommi would like to have a word with them.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975
To be completely honest i think thats not a bad thing at all. personally i had a lot of difficulty getting my pinky finger to cooperate and yours is working for you then more power to yah! Do what feels right for you
Ask Tommi Iommi. The pinky isnt the strongest finger so many just dont use it as much. Ive done alot of fret board exercises to get my pinky stronger. As for a right and wrong way to play guitar, thats news to me. They said the same thing to clapton when he wanted to turn his amps up in the studio. Im sure they told hendrix he couldnt hook up 2 fuzz pedals in series. Whatever works for you.