I started out playing guitar but bought a bass a few months ago and have been having a lot of fun learning that..the only thing is I try to play it like I do with a guitar (pentatonic box, bends, etc) and it just doesn't sound bass-y.
What are some basic bass techniques I can learn to be able to improvise and lay down some decent bass lines? I know the notes on the fretboard and all having played guitar, but I dunno...it just hasn't gotten me as far as I thought.
5-stringer btw.
Learn some groove based styles like funk or hip hop stuff.
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Why don't you start trying to learn walking bass lines? What about chromatic passing tones? Octaves?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Learn to slap, that'll incorporate lots of techniques like octaves and mutes too.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by watchingmefall
Learn everything you can about the groove.

Also, make the pocket your new home. Eat, sleep, bathe, and everything else it is that you do in the pocket.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Fingerstyle, that starts your tone in the right direction, and like they said, walking bass lines.