Alright so some of the fx dont rival EHX or moog but because you dont have to use 10 patch cables, it has 2 12ax7 tubes and some great presets..is it better than seperates?
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
No, single effects offer more versatility as they're more tweakable.

eh you can tweak fx in a mfx anyway?!?
Not usually as much as you can on single effects. Eg, tone dist. and volume etc... Also you can mod single effects easily and they can be true bypass so they don't suck tone.
Multi effects pedals will suck your tone dry because of all the digital processing thats going on, I find that whenever I plug into a multi that my tone gets really compressed and sterile. On top of that analogue single pedals sound so damn good.

If you want to sound gimmicky then multi effects are good, they are really good as backup 'amps' and recording units as well, but for the best sound through a conventional setup I would always recommend single pedals.
Ibanez SA2020FM Prestige
Ernie Ball Musicman Albert Lee 07 LE
Fender roadworn telecaster
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Homebrew Electronics THC chorus
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
Quote by Lbrooks
Multi effects pedals will suck your tone dry because of all the digital processing thats going on, I find that whenever I plug into a multi that my tone gets really compressed and sterile. On top of that analogue single pedals sound so damn good.

If you want to sound gimmicky then multi effects are good, they are really good as backup 'amps' and recording units as well, but for the best sound through a conventional setup I would always recommend single pedals.

I find the exact opposite...the GT-8 was a great effects unit when combined with either my Fender HRD or Mesa Roadster.

As far as the Zoom, the tubes are just simple compressor/booster circuits and don't do anything except cause digital distortion (overloading the DACs and causing fizz). The Zoom has hardware comparable to TC Electronics, but their samples are horrible. You'd be better off with a Boss GT-8 or POD XTL (the X3s are XTLs with a new case and updated firmware, but they have a factory defect that is causing them to short out and die).
Last edited by TwoString at Dec 14, 2007,
Quote by dsubstanceuk
No, never. Single Pedals are always better than Multi-FX.

Danelectro Fish n Chips vs TC Electronic G-Force...do the math.

High quality multi effects vs just about any stompbox, and the multi will win. But it all depends on what you're looking for. If your entire experience with multi effects centers around toys like the Digitech RP series and Zoom units, then you just don't have enough experience to make statements like that.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
High Quality Single Pedal vs High Quality Multi-FX Effect. The Single Pedal would win.

It's opinion...to me, no matter what single pedal you stated, it would get chewed up by something like an Eventide H8000.

EDIT - not looking to start an argument...we're really talking about two different planets here. Whatever is good for you is good for you, but I really have problems with blanket statements like all singles are better than multi effects, which just isn't true.
Last edited by TwoString at Dec 14, 2007,
Quote by dsubstanceuk
If you take any effect on a high end multi effects pedal. There is a single pedal out there which can produce tone ten times better than that.

Give me names

(Sorry this thread has been super-hijacked)
Quote by dsubstanceuk
I think you misunderstood my post.

I meant:

If you take for example a chorus effect on a mutli-effects. There will be a stomp box style chorus pedal which will be much better. You can't fit thousands of pounds worth of amazing stomp boxes into a digital effects processor. You'll never get that perfect tone.

Try the TC Electronic G-Force, Eventide H8000 and Alesis Quadraverb.

And define "perfect." I can assure you your definition will not match my own.
twostring, i have to agree and disagree with you.

i think, conceptually, "single effects" have more versatility. there are many individual say, delay, stompboxes out there, and each is tweakable, which (probably) provides a much wider array of delay effects compared to the amount of delays on a g-force, an eventide, etc. however, one-on-one, of course the single effect isn't going to win. it's a single effect. if you take an ibanez ad80 and compare it to an xtl...the xtl has many more delay models out there and is, thus, far more versatile and tweakable. of course. that's basically the "multi-" in "multi-effects"...it has multiple effects (and multiples of each effect).

what other category is there for judgment? of course, the all-encompassing question of tone. once again, a single effect can never win -- nor can a multi-effect -- because tone is entirely subjective. entirely. now i'll say right now i have no experience with the eventide or the alesis and only limited experience with the g-force; as such, all of my multi-effect judgment is coming off of such processors as the pod xtl which i owned for a while and loved, the boss gt-8, me50, etc. that being said, my favorite delay, to date, is an 80's ibanez ad80. it sounds amazing. and i have yet to find a delay in any multi-effect i've tried that i've liked more. but tone is entirely subjective. it is different for each person, and, thus, there can never be a "best tone". even when comparing the difference between an fm212 and a super reverb...that's just a bunch of people, individually, feeling the same way -- that one sounds better.

ergo, multi-effects and single effects can't even really be judged against each other. and they shouldn't be. who cares what is supposedly "better" or not? it's music. let's stop making all of these "This wins" statements and, instead, say "I prefer..." "In my opinion..." etc. because there can't be a clear-cut winner so long as music remains a subjective art. teach, don't preach.

edit: to the ts...i personally don't care for any of the zoom effects that i've tried.
a flurry of pedals without true bypass may "suck" tone just as much as a high quality MFX.

but i'm willing to bet, most wouldn't be able to tell any audible differences between having 5 boss pedals chained, to 5 boutique pedals chained, to a decent mfx.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
no multifx is as good single stompboxes. strangely with todays technologies we are not yet able to emulate vintage effects.

multifx are not as good as the effects they try to EMULATE. with single effects you get the real thing! the tube in the zoom multifx will not help to better the tone, is just a gimmik in my opinion and from what ive heard
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
climhazzard...agreed, and well stated on your part. I'm hunting for an Ibanez AD-9 at the moment. My moods change, and right now I'm getting a kick out of changing resistor and cap values in certain pedals to see where I can take the tone. I've written on several forums about the virtues of modeling that kind of flexibility, but I doubt I'll ever see it actually done.

As far as modeling effects, yes, you won't be able to nail the real thing, but you can get very close. As far as effects categories, delay is delay, chorus is chorus, etc. What is it about certain effects that vibes with certain players? So you have a little extra high end loss in the EHX MM on the repeats, or a little less regeneration in the Ibanez CS-9...it's those little things that add up to a player. I prefer pristine clarity on my chorus, flange, delay and other time based effects and analog (in my experience) cannot provide this. Also, I get a huge kick out of making one effect respond dynamically to another...again, something an analog or even stand-alone digital cannot do. It's all give and take. The only point I wanted to make is against blanket statements like "all single pedals are better than multi" and so on, because it's misleading to those that don't have the experience to know the difference, or even the experience to know what they're looking for in the first place. I guess this is another reason why it's a bad idea to ask a bunch of guitar players what is the best choice for another player...we will all most likely disagree.

It goes back to that joke...how many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? At least 193...you need one to actually do it, and 73 to say that the wrong brand light bulb is being used, another 24 to tell him that he would get better results standing on a chair instead of a stool, and another 95 to stand around and say they could do it better. We all fit into that joke somehow.

TS, either way you decide to go, I still vote against the Zoom for the reasons stated.