what is the worst wood to have ur guitar body made of?

i heard some people saying that agathis sucks!

is indian cedro any good?

thanks in advance dudes
its all preference.ive never heard of indian cedro.mahogany is heavy, hard and gives a deeper fuller sound. and then alder gives a bright tone.all preference like i said
yeh ohk dude! i love the sound of mahogany! but i love the bright sound of my strat so like as you said probs comes down to preferance!
agathis
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I've got a strat laying about somewhere that's made with Indian cedro, it's... alright. Not great, but it's not the worst I've ever experienced.

The worst bodies are made with plywood, offcuts, and so on. No sustain, always have a horrible tone, etc. The only except are the Epiphone LP Juniors, which, despite being made of some cut-up god knows what ****ty wood, somehow have the most amazing sustain (still bad tone though).

I think the worst bodies I've ever personally come across, have been on Gibson Studio and faded guitars. Made up of hacked-up off-cuts of much lower grade mahogany than the Classics and Standards, awful tone, awful sustain, awful feel to them overall. The Epiphone Studios aren't any better, but then they're half the price, so with them it's almost justified.

All that said, it does seem to be Les Pauls that suffer from dodgy body woods more than others. I've played strats that have been cedro, alder, maple, agathis, basswood, and there's never been that much of a huge difference between them. Since the OP asked about agathis and cedro in particular, I'm assuming he's wanting to know before buying a Squier Strat, as several of the Squier models are made using those two woods. To that end, I can honestly say, although I do notice some difference, strats don't seem to be effected by different body woods quite so much as other guitar types are.

Last thing to bear in mind; wood grade. Just because something is made with mahogany, doesn't mean it's going to be good. It could be hacked-up, low grade mahogany like the Gibson Faded series, or it could be perfect, solid slab B Select grade mahogany like Gibson Custom Shop VOS series guitars. There is more to wood than just it's name.
agathis/basswood = crap

i think indian cedro is a variety of mahogany? not sure tho.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
umm. no. ^ basswood = many ibanez. and agathis is a real wood.

the worst wood is listed as laminate, or "hardwood"

those are plywood.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Teh GIR
agathis

Agathis is not a bad wood, it's just used in cheaper guitars and like basswood, it has good and bad strains. Alder and mahogany comparitively have better avergae quality than agathis and basswood as in your more likely to find a good strain.

the worst wood, if it can be called that, is plywood.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
It's all preference really, but everyone says "agathis is crap" or "plywood is crap" because other people do. And it's not true.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
i wonder if balsa wood has ever been used, at least you could do some crazy show off moves with it
Quote by 5kuzgib
It's all preference really, but everyone says "agathis is crap" or "plywood is crap" because other people do. And it's not true.

Plywood is crap, actually. I don't think there is a guitar player on Gods green Earth who actually prefers plywood, so saying it's all about preference is a bit silly.
Quote by 5kuzgib

plywoods don't resonate well by construction. They are not a natural formation and are built for strength not quality hence they will usually have crap sound. But your right, I'm sure somewhere out there there must be someone who likes plywood
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
meh, I prefer mahogany, but I wouldn't lump basswood in with agathis, it can be a very good sounding wood. There are plenty of high end guitars that use basswood, EB MM, Parker, Ibanez JEM, etc..
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
agathis/basswood = crap

i think indian cedro is a variety of mahogany? not sure tho.

No. Be quiet.
Basswood can be good or bad. Agathis may have better cuts that sound ok, but in general avoid it. Plywood is totally another issues. I suppose everyone knows that the Gibson 335's are made from maple plywood.
The truth is that with the right methods and construction you can make a good sounding guitar out of almost anything, including plastics, carbon fiber, aluminum and probably a good dense hunk of compressed blue glacial ice, though it might not last long.
So here's the deal. Know what wood and construction methods are used. For the time being avoid Agathis. The ultimate test is sound and feel.
Umm, any of you guys know what nato is? How good is it?
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.