I'm in the studio for all of this weekend recording an EP and need some guidence on my EQ settings. Normally I'd just **** about with them until I get a nice tone, but I don't have that much time to.

Basically, I'd just like some recommendations of which bands I should boost/cut on a 10 band EQ to produce a nice metal tone, and then I'll customise from there.
I want to cut through the mix, but not to be too muddy, or too trebley.

Help me please, Comrades
i don't know about a ten band EQ, but my amp has a 4 band and for metal I boost the lows a tad, I have the low mids about 2 o'clock, the high mids about half past 2, and the highs at one o'clock. Hope I helped
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
What kind of sound are you going for? Alot of different tones are found in metal.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Something that sounds like the bass on The Sound of Perseverance, Individual Thought Patterns or Symbolic by Death.

Cuts through nicely, but isn't too much to muddy the other tracks
Quote by Chimpy101
Something that sounds like the bass on The Sound of Perseverance, Individual Thought Patterns or Symbolic by Death.

Cuts through nicely, but isn't too much to muddy the other tracks

That's fretless bass isn't it?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
That's fretless bass isn't it?

Yep, but I think he likes to boost his mids and we all know he plays with his fingers...Haven't listened in a while though.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Chimpy101

Help me please, Comrades

comrades??

EQ adjust you!!!

to be on topic, i'd say boost the bass and treble bands and scoop the mids a bit. thats how i like it. nice and rumbly, but still crisp.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
First, start off with your EQ at 0.

Most people will think I'm nuts for saying this, but if you want a clear, agressive tone that's thick but not boomy, you need to cut 150-180Hz (whatever it is on your EQ) by about 3db. That's where all the muck is. That's where all the volume is, too, but that's one of the reasons bass amps are so powerful.

Now, you'll definitely want to boost the bands below the one you cut to compensate for lost bottom (no more than 3db). If the tone sounds clear but hollow, boost 250-350Hz a little, or until the life comes back.

Now, people say scoop "the mids" (whatever the hell they are), but I say if you scoop out 500Hz, you're missing something. I like a slight boost at 500Hz - it makes the sound really agressive and in-your face without clouding the signal up, and most importantly, not making your tone brittle. Don't go crazy though, as that frequency makes you sound like a car horn if you boost it to much.

Now, I personally ignore from 600 - 1500 Hz, or at least on a graphic EQ, I boost or cut them to make a smooth curve with the bands below and above it. However, from 1kHz to 10kHz, this is where YOU carve out your sonic signature. You can fiddle around (again, not making more than +/-3db adjustments) here until you get your sound. Personally, I boost at around 2kHz (that's where THE attack is) and at 8-10kHz for some air.

Tada, the best bass tone ever (providing your gear can do justice to it).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I think one of the key things to keep in mind here is what Fitz said in his last statement. Make sure your gear can do the tone justice. If you're using a small combo with an EQ pedal, it won't sound anywhere near as good as an SVT stack. EQ will point you in the right direction, but it also depends on your pickups, the woods your bass is made of, your amp, your attack style, etc. There are really a lot of factors. Personally, I have found that in almost all metal situations a boost at 450Hz does a world of good. It really improves your presence in the mix, and adds some "growl" to your tone; perfect for Death.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Ah, Fitz, you legendary incarnation of some holy bass god, thank you very much.

Cheers to everyone. You've all made me feel happy and confident now