Hello everyone

I've running through scales like a mad man and can't figure out if there's any bridge to cross between scaling and being able to come up with original riffs that aren't just basic rehashes of the scales I had been practicing. Does anyone have any tips for getting over this bump in the road?
just hit random notes of the scale
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Yeah man, great advice. Now, I think that you should know some amount of theory for composing your own work. Just don't do the same scales all the time. Check this site out:
http://www.freakguitar.com/scales.html

And don't connect practicing scales with writing riffs. Writing should be a special process, secluded from you normal practice routine.
The jazz student
These are guitar scales though - i don't suppose there's a freakbass

i'll try them out all the same, thanks a bunch!
Quote by emeffkay
These are guitar scales though - i don't suppose there's a freakbass

i'll try them out all the same, thanks a bunch!

Well, the scales only are shown on the A, D, and G strings...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by 14shadesofblue
sing something, play it with those notes

IDK, this sounds as good as the advise of hitting random notes in the scale, I'm sorry.

Improv involves knowing scales, chord construction and intervals at the very least. The thing is once you internalize all of that, improv is dead easy. The more theory you know and understand the better your improv skills will become. This is why even if you are a complete metal head, learning some jazz can really, really benefit you playing and improv.

My advise, start with a genre that's easier, like blues. It has an easy scale (Blues pentatonic) and easy format (12 bar) and go from there. Plus blues is the foundation of most rock music, so its a good starting point.