BreakingBnj
UG Senior Member
929 IQ
My band is going to go into the studio in the summer, and we don't know who to go with.

We plan on making a pros and cons list of different options, so what should I look for in various studios (such as rates, quality, and lesser known stuff)?
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
htsktim91989
184 IQ
1. is the studio digital based or analog based? analog will cost more.
2. equipment the studio is using - high or low quality
3. knowledge of recording engineer
4. live recording, or seperate members at once (ex. track drums first, then guitar leads and rhythms, bass, then vocals)
5. is mixing and mastering an extra charge?
guitarfan93
is guitarfan93
1,690 IQ
know who youre workin with (producers/egineers)
have all songs down flat (don't thin k you'll write the song in the studio)
if possible demo before you go into the studio (get a idea what you songs will sound like)
Don't think you'll record in a song an hour.

REHEARSE!!!! Most important, the less times you have to record something the less you'll spend.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Ask how many individualized monitor mixes they can offer while tracking. If, let's say, the bass player wants to hear more kick, can he get more kick without *everyone* getting more kick. And at the same time, can the singer get *less* kick and a bit more vocal with some reverb on? And can the reverb be added to the monitor mix without actually sending the fx to the recorder?

It's those flexibility options that are a nice touch and add a lot of confidence (and by extension, positive feelings) to the performers when laying down their tracks.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.