I see alot of people suggesting the Epiphone Valve Junior for home practice. What I find confusing is that I hear other people talk about MODing them so that they are quieter. So I'm confused about how loud these really are.

Are the people trying to quiet them down looking to drive the tubes to get Overdrive/Distortion at lower volume? or is the 5watts just too loud for bedroom/apartment practice.

Lets say your playing when people are sleeping and they are on the second floor while your in the basement? I'm wondering if you can use the EVJ at low volumes for that.
Sure, lower volume mods are just for getting that raw chrunchyness out of the power valve.

But its easy to use and still sounds great on low volumes. Ive cranked one myself, and it does get pretty loud.
Let me go about this a slightly different way, how low is the lowest volume of the EVJ? Does it go from barely louder then the guitar itself? or does it start at higher volume?

The thing is I really like the idea of a simple amp that I can expand on, but most of my playing will be while others are sleeping for now.
you should just get one of the pocket pods and a pair of headphones if you're worried about waking people up.
Quote by sowhat360
you should just get one of the pocket pods and a pair of headphones if you're worried about waking people up.

Yeah I'm thinking about that, I'm also thinking that I might just play unplugged if I need to.

The only problem with the pocket pod is that if I want to play for someone then its through headphones so I'd still need some sort of speaker set or amp as well.
I don't have any experience with this specific amp, but if it's only 5 watts, then I would think it wouldn't be TOO loud... Plus, you could always use headphones with it (although that's not the best solution ever).

Then again, I could be wrong.
No you cant use headphones with it, my point was that its pretty loud for a 5 watter. But it's still quiet as a mouse when you want it to be. THats why the invented volume controls. Most of the time you can get any amp to suitable practicing levels in the middle of the night...
Quote by beckyjc
No you cant use headphones with it, my point was that its pretty loud for a 5 watter. But it's still quiet as a mouse when you want it to be. THats why the invented volume controls. Most of the time you can get any amp to suitable practicing levels in the middle of the night...

See thats exactly what I was confused about I was getting the impression that because people call it a TONE knob and not a Volume knob that it wouldn't really get quiet, but rather it would just give it some crunch by pushing the tubes.

So right now I'm sort of looking at the EVJ and maybe a pedal to play with the sound at lower volumes, or Peavy Valveking Royal 8 (because its Tubes but has a headphone jack, and master volume)

Or I might just go with a VOX of some sort (Valvetronix or something with the modeling options)
Who calls it a tone knob? Its volume and alwasy has been. If youre in EUR the harley benton GA5 is worth a look, same amp with an actual extra tone knob.

IMO the vj plus a pedal board is a better option. If you ever decide to pick up a bigger amp you allready have a good rig to use with it but its a superb amp by itself. The vox is good and all, but IMO it just doesnt get that depth.
Quote by Turt99
Let me go about this a slightly different way, how low is the lowest volume of the EVJ? Does it go from barely louder then the guitar itself? or does it start at higher volume?

The thing is I really like the idea of a simple amp that I can expand on, but most of my playing will be while others are sleeping for now.

at full volume in a normal-sized room, you can't shout over it. it's loud, and if you live in an appartment, i'd wager it's "too loud". get something with a master volume, even if it's higher wattage. Unless you can get something that's about a quarter of a watt, anything with valves in it will likely be too loud for your situation, assuming you want overdrive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Horlicks
Maybe a DA5?

Yeah actually the DA5 is up there on the list, I'm sort of stuck wondering which way to go..

Do I go with the tiny AMP like the DA5, and know that I'll probably still like it when I have a bigger amp?

Or do I go for something more then a portable practice amp?

I like the DA5 for the options and sounds that I could play with, but I like the idea of the EVJ because its simple and from all accounts I've heard sounds awesome.

Now I'm super new to guitar so I need to sort of trust others with the tone of amps because I don't know the difference yet. Ohh and I'm looking to play stuff from Metallica and Ozzy to maybe even soft rock, or Christian Rock.
Quote by Dave_Mc
at full volume in a normal-sized room, you can't shout over it. it's loud, and if you live in an appartment, i'd wager it's "too loud". get something with a master volume, even if it's higher wattage. Unless you can get something that's about a quarter of a watt, anything with valves in it will likely be too loud for your situation, assuming you want overdrive.

You mean the natural tube overdrive right?

Part of me is thinking I should just reserve the amp for when I don't have to worry about volume so much and I should play unplugged at night.

Or get something like the TonePort/PocketPod or some really inexpensive amp for latenight and something different for CRANKING!
Quote by Turt99
Yeah actually the DA5 is up there on the list, I'm sort of stuck wondering which way to go..

Do I go with the tiny AMP like the DA5, and know that I'll probably still like it when I have a bigger amp?

Or do I go for something more then a portable practice amp?

I like the DA5 for the options and sounds that I could play with, but I like the idea of the EVJ because its simple and from all accounts I've heard sounds awesome.

Now I'm super new to guitar so I need to sort of trust others with the tone of amps because I don't know the difference yet. Ohh and I'm looking to play stuff from Metallica and Ozzy to maybe even soft rock, or Christian Rock.

I think if you aren't gigging it should be fine, as long as you test it out and like the sound, I use a Laney VC15 at home, and it's only loud when I want it to be, maybe look into that?
Quote by beckyjc
metaalica? ozzy? roland microcube then...

End of story? No other choice?
Quote by Turt99
End of story? No other choice?

Just trying stuff out is your best bet now
No, its prolly just a better choice than the VJ/vox, the best metal tone will always come from an amps natural dist, and theres no sense in getting a valve amp now that doesnt quite do that.

Actually the sound cities Mark 6s are worth a good look.
Quote by Horlicks
Just trying stuff out is your best bet now

Yeah I need to do that for sure, the other issue that I have is that each store seems to have different stuff, so its a lot of running around and like I said everything seems to sound decent to me

Horlicks - what do you think of the Orange Crush you have? is that something I should look at?
Quote by Turt99
Yeah I need to do that for sure, the other issue that I have is that each store seems to have different stuff, so its a lot of running around and like I said everything seems to sound decent to me

Horlicks - what do you think of the Orange Crush you have? is that something I should look at?

it's pretty average, I wouldn't recommend it, was my first amp though
Quote by Turt99
You mean the natural tube overdrive right?

Part of me is thinking I should just reserve the amp for when I don't have to worry about volume so much and I should play unplugged at night.

Or get something like the TonePort/PocketPod or some really inexpensive amp for latenight and something different for CRANKING!

yeah, the natural tube overdrive. it doesn't have a master volume so you have to crank it to get overdrive.

i also don't think it has enough gain for ozzy etc... i definitely think you'd be better off with something with at least a master volume, maybe even a modeller...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Horlicks
I think if you aren't gigging it should be fine, as long as you test it out and like the sound, I use a Laney VC15 at home, and it's only loud when I want it to be, maybe look into that?

yeah, that's what i mean. if being quiet is a priority, but i still wanted tube tone, i'd rather have a 15 watt tube amp with a master volume, than a 5 watt tube amp without.

5 watts is quiet enough to crank in your room if you live alone and have no neighbours. while 15 watts is probably a bit loud without earplugs (don't get me wrong, even 5 watts is almost loud enough to need earplugs)... but if you have neighbours in close proximity, that 5 watts will be too loud to crank too, while with the 15 watter with master volume, you can get overdrive at lower levels too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ooh and my Budget is really low so I would be able to afford that Laney
vk royal 8 isn't bad, but the one i tried might have been broken, as i still had to crank it reasonably high to get much overdrive (or else it was the strat i was trying it with)...

you've probably answered this already, but are you in the US? if so, the crate palomino might be worth a look. I haven't tried it (can't get it in europe), but i hear generally good things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
vk royal 8 isn't bad, but the one i tried might have been broken, as i still had to crank it reasonably high to get much overdrive (or else it was the strat i was trying it with)...

you've probably answered this already, but are you in the US? if so, the crate palomino might be worth a look. I haven't tried it (can't get it in europe), but i hear generally good things.

I'm in Canada, I'm not sure if I could get the Crate.
ah... i dunno to be honest- i'd say the vk royal 8 is worth a try, at very least.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you're looking for a decent amp that you can play with headphones I'd say go for the valvetronix like you mentioned. I have the 30 watt and it's great

It has a headphone output so you can listen with headphones but it's also 30 watts AND has modeling. It's a really neat amp. you can purchase a pedal after the fact and set up two separate effects channels.

It also gets just loud enough to play a small gig. it's worth a shot, at least try it out in store.
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
I have the Peavey Royal 8, and it's a great amp, but still very loud. I live in an apartment too, and since I have thin walls, I usually use the amp with headphones. With headphones (mine are a decent pair of studio monitor headphones by Sony, cost around $70) it sounds good, but for sure it sounds better playing normally through the speaker.

At first I wasn't too impressed with the Peavey Royal 8 with headphones (it's OK though, don't get me wrong), but I discovered that an EQ pedal makes it sound 100% better! I got a Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ pedal for about $30, and with headphones, this amp sounds amazing. I always practice in my apartment, and with an EQ pedal and headphones, the Peavey Royal 8 is perfect. That is of course if you're willing to spend the extra cash, but IMO it's worth it for sure. I love this amp.