Rawr! Dinosaurs!
896 22%
Voters: 4069.
Page 345 of 345
soulflyV
Oh so unprofessional!
491 IQ
Quote by punkforlife93
People who think like this are almost as arrogant as the people they hate. I've known plenty of Christians who think that, if anything, the belief in a higher power and the belief in science (aka Big Bang, evolution, stereotypical theories here) are not completely mutually exclusive.

I should have specified; when I said religious folk I meant fundies.
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
Quote by willT08
Stupid atheist.

You think all of this universe could just happen by chance? Haha, you must be smoking some crazy shit.

Cliché but I'm going to just throw regression at you:

Did God just appear by chance then? If so then what caused him? And if not then why does God not need a cause when the universe apparently does?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 8, 2012,
Tigar
21 IQ
It seems like a lot of people should give Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion and see if they are still strong to their faith. The first few chapters alone are probably enough to instill seeds of doubt for a fundie. Unless they are completely ignorant then there's probably no hope.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
^ I see where that post is coming from. But it also speaks against evolution.

If we supposedly evolved this way, there must be a good explanation. And, with enough discussion, I'm sure a good answer could be found for all those questions. But I don't think that image favors or rejects intelligent design, or even evolution.

That being said, I freakin' love Tyson.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Quote by eGraham

If we supposedly evolved this way, there must be a good explanation. And, with enough discussion, I'm sure a good answer could be found for all those questions. But I don't think that image favors or rejects intelligent design, or even evolution.

Evolution doesn't need pictures or soundbites.
It has evidence. Plenty of it.
What creationists need is to be ridiculed at every opportubity.
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
Quote by eGraham

It's saying that any intelligent designer would be ashamed of the work he did making the anatomy of most species, as they're riddled with pointless and even downright dangerous throwbacks and issues. The reason most of the negative points Tyson lists still occur in spite of evolution is that most of them have no negative effect (with regards to the organism surviving long enough to reproduce), and thus aren't going to be removed from the gene pool due to anything more than chance.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 8, 2012,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by willT08
Oh that's convenient....a little too convenient.

er no, it's realistic.

you can't say what proof you'd need to believe evolution, and then refuse to believe it and claim it's "convenient" when said proof doesn't materialise, when even evolution's proponents say it's impossible for that level of evidence to appear.

it'd be like saying that to believe any defendant was guilty, you required video footage of the crime, DNA trace evidence linking the defendant to the crime, a sworn confession from said defendant, and sworn evidence from 1000 independent eyewitnesses that they saw the defendant committing the crime.

and then if the prosecutor said that wasn't going to happen, you'd say, "that's convenient"...

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I bet in 100 or so years evolution will be phased out by a new theory that comes forth that is more probable and realistic.

why 100 years? it's been good for 150 already, and we've discovered tons of things since then.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by willT08
How do you account for the incomplete fossil record then?

That's easy to answer... we haven't found every fossil that exists yet.
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
That's easy to answer... we haven't found every fossil that exists yet.

Also, finding a complete fossil skeleton is pretty damned rare anyway. Very few, if any of the dinosaur skeletons you'd see on display are from a single animal, or even all from the same dig.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Also, finding a complete fossil skeleton is pretty damned rare anyway. Very few, if any of the dinosaur skeletons you'd see on display are from a single animal, or even all from the same dig.

True.

The point I was making though is that just because we don't have every fossil that's ever existed, it doesn't mean that the fossil record itself doesn't exist. Fossils obviously exist, we know this because fossils are found every day, and if fossils exist, then the fossil record also exists.

But many creationists somehow get things a little mixed up, they think that because we don't have every single piece of the entire fossile record then that somehow makes the sections of the fossil record that we do have invalid.

That's essentialy like saying that we cannot possibly tell that this jigsaw puzzle is a picture of the sky because all the pieces are not in place yet.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 9, 2012,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by willT08

You think all of this universe could just happen by chance?

Yes. Anyone who has looked at the question with even a smidgen of honesty will acknowledge that.

But what has that to do with evolution?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Yes. Anyone who has looked at the question with even a smidgen of honesty will acknowledge that.

But what has that to do with evolution?

Well said.
It's also worth pointing out that those who don't think that "all of this universe could just happen by chance" still think that something apparently greater and more complex than the universe (God) did happen to exist by chance.... or at least refuse to get into the question of how God came to exist at all.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Well said.
It's also worth pointing out that those who don't think that "all of this universe could just happen by chance" still think that something apparently greater and more complex than the universe (God) did happen to exist by chance.... or at least refuse to get into the question of how God came to exist at all.

I'm not a big fan of the appeal to ignorance used by so many of the fans of religion since it diminishes those of us who hold our faith as a matter of faith and don't see science as opposed.

As you know, but I'll post for the benefit of others, science doesn't address whether G_D had/has anything to do with the universe or not, (As an untestable hypothesis, science doesn't really address G_D at all...) all it says it that according to our current knowledge, G_D wasn't required.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Guitardude19
UG's Mad Scientist
2,230 IQ
Quote by Todd Hart
This is true, I can't even count the number of people I've killed.

I think I have killed 3x10^15 potential babies, from a conservative estimate...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
hethamulburton
Makes a fool of you.
143 IQ
Nearly Googled a figure to estimate how many times that is roughly equivalent to...

Curse you curiosity, curse you!
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
Quote by Guitardude19
I think I have killed 3x10^15 potential babies, from a conservative estimate...

I've killed a small girl for every year this planet has existed, so about 6000 give or take.
the bartender
UG's biology teacher
429 IQ
God kills people.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
damian_91
246 IQ
Yeah, sorry about that, I'll try not to kill so many people anymore..
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Can't view that on this computer, can someone give me a rundown of what it's about?

Damn Slacker, I know you love ancient stuff, but this is quite the necro-bump.

It's a lot of edit clips of Christians misrepresenting atheists set to music. It's lampooning ignorant Christians.

I liked the looped clip (sounds like a mantra) of Bill O'Rielly saying, "Tide goes in, Tides goes out. Tide goes in, tide goes out."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2
Damn Slacker, I know you love ancient stuff, but this is quite the necro-bump.

I know, and I apologise for that.
It's just that I like to pop back to this thread from time to time to see if anything new has been added, I just hadn't noticed that particular post I referred to last time I was here and was curious about it.
Quote by rockingamer2

It's a lot of edit clips of Christians misrepresenting atheists set to music. It's lampooning ignorant Christians.

Ahh, boring. I thought it might have been someone making a serious allegation against atheism, which of course I would have felt compelled to debate against.

As you were people.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
I'm bored. Necrobump.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
I'm bored. Necrobump.

and I'm hard.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
TheChaz
Other Barry
543 IQ
I said some stupid shit in this thread years ago. But this is also the thread where Craigo convinced me to research to back up my beliefs, and when I couldn't find any evidence that creationism is true, I re-examined my religion and stopped believing in god. So this thread kind of changed my life. Thanks UG/Craigo!