Evolutionism
2531 62%
Rawr! Dinosaurs!
900 22%
Voters: 4087.
Page 5 of 351
Quote by Fred1000000
Creationism. Evolution makes no sense.

"The earth was made 160,000,000,000,000 years old. Even though the moo dust on the moon suggests the universe can only possible 3,000 years old. Silly us."

wow, you're quite ill informed aren't you?
Quote by Mutant Corn
It seems that there's nothing that I could possibly say to convince you people of this...so there's no point in causing the mods any more grief by continuing this thread. All I know is that anyone who has truly believed and felt God's power knows without a doubt that he exists. I cannot possibly explain the feeling to someone who has never experienced it...and I'm sorry that you haven't. I will pray for you.

and theres the ever predictable ending from a theist. you dont think other religions "feel" their god? why not zeus? what makes your god right? i was a christian too. i thought i knew but i realized i was jumping to conclusions and making assumptions to keep my belief alive. the sooner you realize this the better. there is no reason at all to believe in a creator.
Quote by Fred1000000

"The earth was made 160,000,000,000,000 years old. Even though the moon dust on the moon suggests the universe can only possible 3,000 years old. Silly us."

evolution doesnt deal with the creation of the earth or the universe or the age of anything.
Quote by Mutant Corn
That's not the Christian way dude.. Thinking that everyone else is going to hell saddens me.

Oh go away and hug your cosmic security blanket a dheargamadán.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Fred1000000

"The earth was made 160,000,000,000,000 years old. Even though the moon dust on the moon suggests the universe can only possible 3,000 years old. Silly us."

Yeah. Evolution makes no sense.

Creationism:

A giant magic man appeared from nothing, made the universe out of nothings, then made people out of dirt. Remember, something can't come from nothing and if something DID come from nothing, it isn't likely to be a perfect, omnipotent being. Oh, and god took time out of his busy schedule to make fossils and stick them in the ground, as well as planting lots of evidence that he didn't actually make the universe.

And moon dust suggests no such thing you jackass.
I just realised if creationism is true then the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve had to have sex, that means we all come from incest

Manchester United
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
and theres the ever predictable ending from a theist. you dont think other religions "feel" their god? why not zeus? what makes your god right? i was a christian too. i thought i knew but i realized i was jumping to conclusions and making assumptions to keep my belief alive. the sooner you realize this the better. there is no reason at all to believe in a creator.

Zeus was a god you could relate to. I mean, he at least tried it and liked it. God not liking it is the only reason i can think of for no second coming of Jebus.
Actually, if what I think holds true, then God must be a woopsy. Or Mary was a crappy lay.
The Big Bang contradicts Dialectics and Newton's Laws, so the origins of evolution are debatable. However, we do know that there have been changes in organisms over time, so the theory cannot be entirely suspect.

I like to think that there is some truth in both theories. However, we also have to suffer the meddling of self-interested human intervention in both theories.
Quote by rizo299
Not necessary

I apologise. The whole going to hell thing tends to annoy me.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Oh go away and hug your cosmic security blanket a dheargamadán.

I'm not talking about the warm fuzzy feeling that people think they feel when they go feed the orphans. That's called happiness. If you honestly think that the Christian faith can be described as a security blanket, then you are very much mistaken...
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Yeah i know. He doesn't believe that though. He's a nice guy, if scientifically misinformed .

The worst part for me is, I used to think people were all going to hell. It was only for my early years mind, as i got older i got a bit wiser. But it still saddens me to think i was like that
Quote by Fred1000000

Yes, creationism makes wayyy more sense.

So lets start off....An invisible man sitting on a cloud in the sky waved his hand and begun the universe, for no particular reason at all. He leaves no evidence of his existence, and all he left us is a book that contradicts itself and time and time again is refuted by science. This leaves us with the impression that the book he made is quite unreliable. This man also leaves behind many fossils which tells us that the world is way more than 6,000 years old. He creates a design where mutations happen leading to lethal consequenses. But hes all perfect with his perfect design.

How the hell does that make more sense?
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Quote by ss311
The Big Bang contradicts Dialectics and Newton's Laws, so the origins of evolution are debatable. However, we do know that there have been changes in organisms over time, so the theory cannot be entirely suspect.

I like to think that there is some truth in both theories. However, we also have to suffer the meddling of self-interested human intervention in both theories.

The Big Bang does no such thing.

The Big Bang CREATED the universe. The various of laws of physics are properties of things in this universe. How could they possibly apply to the Big Bang? It preceded the universe and its laws. In the legal system you cannot retroactively apply laws and you can't here either.

Quote by Mutant Corn
I'm not talking about the warm fuzzy feeling that people think they feel when they go feed the orphans. That's called happiness. If you honestly think that the Christian faith can be described as a security blanket, then you are very much mistaken...

No, it's a fairly accurate description.

It gives you a purpose, a reason to exist, someone looking over you, a belief that there is something for you after death, the prospect of a reward for behaving well etc. It's quite a good security blanket.

Quote by Ur all $h1t

Quote by ss311

well i dont know about the first part but again, it doesnt matter when talking about evolution seeing as it doesnt deal with the creation of the universe.
Quote by Mutant Corn

religion is there to comfort us with death and attempts to explain the unknown. its very much a security blanket. its there to make people feel better.
Creationists, explain this:

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Creationists, explain this:

You know they wont be able to in any way that makes scientific sense.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by rizo299
LOL GOD DID IT DUH

Did he run out of ideas for limbs?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
creationists often say it was a "common blueprint" instead of a "common ancestor". another claim based on nothing though.

So basically God ain't too big on creativity.
See what i did there?
i am the supreme ruler of the universe fools and anyone that says otherwise should go die in a hole in the corner of a circular room

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

Quote by ss311

Biggest misconeption of the mass population:

Evolution says something about the creation of (insert thing that was created some way).

This is wrong. Your founding base of logic is therefore wrong. Evolution takes its role after that which was created existed. In essence, evolution is correct, but does not conflict with religious belief. So yes, it is safe to come out from your shell of ignorance, and bask in actual understanding.

The Big Bang could not contradict that which never existed before, therefore, it does not conflict any law-- for no law existed prior to it. Only some parts are really contestable, and much of it is in the rates of expansion and the shape of our universe, and basically figuring out how the hell we didn't have a universal cataclysm shortly after the explosion itself. Evolution of the cosmos then begins after all was set in place and having already been created.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by rizo299
joking, note my support of evolution continuously through out this thread

I noticed.
I too was attempting humour.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
i don't know if i believe in evolution.

about 2k years ago the entire 'civilized' world was convinced that the world was triangular and held up on the backs of elephants who caused earthquakes when they became disgruntled.

if you can convince 10 million people thats true using their version of 'modern science,' then someone's going to need to give me a few more pieces of evidence before i believe that apes and fish are in my family tree.
Rock is Dead.

Gear:
Epiphone LPC
Vox AD50VT

Whats the meanest you can be,
To the ones you claim to love,
And still smile to your newfound friends?
Quote by blues-guitarist
don't take the bible literally...anyways...It says in the book of Genesis, referring to the creation of animal life that God created first the fish of the sea, followed by the birds of the air, followed by the beasts of the earth, after which finally came man....

I like how you say not to take the bible literally and then proceed to do just that. If you aren't going to take the creation story literally why not take that whole God thing with a grain of salt too? That's all thats really left if you dismissed that rest.

Quote by Mutant Corn
Pseudo-science...like when soil samples from several parts of the world showed evidence of the flood in a time period corresponding to the one mentioned in genesis? Or maybe when one of king Solomon's stables was found by archaeologists that corresponded to the size the kingdom was supposed to be? Or when the story of Jesus was predicted over 800 years before his birth? Or when astronomers found that the "star" over Jesus's birth was actually there near the time when he was supposed to be born?

Tell me this, how does the Kiwi, a small, flightless bird, found only in New Zealand, make it all the way to the middle east to hook up with Noah, then make it all the way back to New Zealand after the flood without leaving a trace of it's existence anywhere else in the world?
Quote by ghettohobbit4

about 2k years ago the entire 'civilized' world was convinced that the world was triangular and held up on the backs of elephants who caused earthquakes when they became disgruntled.

if you can convince 10 million people thats true using their version of 'modern science,' then someone's going to need to give me a few more pieces of evidence before i believe that apes and fish are in my family tree.

The difference is, we have evidence for evolution. The scientific method didnt exist 2000 years ago. Believe me, there's plenty of evidence for evolution. Go look it up.
Quote by ghettohobbit4

See that picture right a few posts above you.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by rizo299
The difference is, we have evidence for evolution. The scientific method didnt exist 2000 years ago. Believe me, there's plenty of evidence for evolution. Go look it up.

i'm just saying that its far too easy to convince people, even very smart people, of things that aren't true.

i'm only a skeptic, not a creationist.
Rock is Dead.

Gear:
Epiphone LPC
Vox AD50VT

Whats the meanest you can be,
To the ones you claim to love,
And still smile to your newfound friends?
The Big Bang does no such thing.

The Big Bang CREATED the universe. The various of laws of physics are properties of things in this universe. How could they possibly apply to the Big Bang? It preceded the universe and its laws. In the legal system you cannot retroactively apply laws and you can't here either.

So the Big Bang is allowed to have happened so as to give you a basis to argue on, but God certainly doesn't exist and couldn't have created the universe?

Basically, you choose what to believe in without proof, while you manipulate arguments.

Notice that I have not said what I believe in, but I can take either side.

Why can't God exist but the Big Bang can?

The same applies to God. You have just chosen to believe in the BB instead of God.
the big bang is only a theory, and we are not 100% sure that THAT is exactly what created the universe. the difference between religion and science is that you are allowed to discard previous ideas about science if you find out that they are wrong. religion doesn't give you this freedom: you either accept the dogma or you don't.

furthermore, the big bang is a plausible theory because we know the universe is expanding (and accelerating). by measuring the close groupings of galaxies and other cosmic matter, we know that the way the universe most likely formed is because of some giant explosion in the center of the universe, which propelled matter outwards.

god, on the other hands, exists because it's the simplest explanation for why anything exists. if you try and ask for proof of god, you're "missing the point." god is a matter of belief. science is a matter of facts and discovery.
Quote by ss311
So the Big Bang is allowed to have happened so as to give you a basis to argue on, but God certainly doesn't exist and couldn't have created the universe?

Indeed.

Quote by ss311
Basically, you choose what to believe in without proof, while you manipulate arguments.

No. I don't believe in god because it's unnecessary and I don't think it makes sense.

Quote by ss311
Notice that I have not said what I believe in, but I can take either side.

Why can't God exist but the Big Bang can?

Any god or just the christian one? The christian one has a whole bunch of reasons but any god in general purely because it's an extra and unnecessary step that I think makes less sense.

Quote by rky
the big bang is only a theory, and we are not 100% sure that THAT is exactly what created the universe. the difference between religion and science is that you are allowed to discard previous ideas about science if you find out that they are wrong. religion doesn't give you this freedom: you either accept the dogma or you don't.

*Meths backhands the fool*

http://wilstar.com/theories.htm

Go away and read.

Quote by rky
god, on the other hands, exists because it's the simplest explanation for why anything exists. if you try and ask for proof of god, you're "missing the point." god is a matter of belief. science is a matter of facts and discovery.

I'd hardly say it was the simplest explanation.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Evolution.

Creationism is just a pseudo intellectual way of saying that "I don't know".
Quote by Raizer Sabre
this is the biggest pile of crap i've seen since that little bit in jurassic parkwhere you see dino crap everywhere...
did you just not bother reading the whole thing? the big bang is a theory, there are alternate scientific explanations. my point is that religion is fixed and irrational. science is dynamic and rational.

i would say that a big creator snapping his fingers and creating everything is a pretty damn simple explanation (albeit one that's totally ridiculous). holy crap.