Page 3 of 20
This is the greatest FAQ ever.

It gets 5 million stars.

Also, DeliriumBassist and anyone else who was involved, if you ever want e-sex, you know who to call.
The.
Quote by Nutter_101
Sorry love. No caffeine for me - Over a year now.

Yeah, I'd like to thank myself and everyone else for doing the FAQ.

We rule.

You know you missed the opportunity to quote one of the best bass player acceptance speeches of all time...Oh hell, since I had a part in all of this as well....here it goes.

To quote Dee Dee Ramone's acceptance speech to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame...

"I'd like to congratulate myself and thank myself and give myself a big pat on the back, Thank you Bass FAQ crew, you're very wonderful."
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't eat pizza

dibs on ben's slice
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Awesome FAQ, but I still need help with something

Occasionally when i pluck the e-string 6th fret, I get another sound at the same time(not the note lol) coming from what I suspect is the truss rod. Any ideas on how to fix this?
It's kinda like a buzz coming from the inside of the neck can't really describe it. It's noticeable in volume as well.
It won't have anything to do with the truss rod if it's fret/string specific. If it's the sound I'm thinking of (kinda drone like), a quic, TINY adjustment of the saddle should sort that right out. But just check the actual fret wire. Is there any noticeable grooving etc on the 6th fret at where the E string is?
Nope, the fret looks fine.

Edit: nvm, fixed. It was the saddle.
Last edited by Wratheh at Dec 18, 2007,
Brilliant job everyone. I was actually almost late for work yesterday because I was reading it .

Oh and as a suggestion, maybe you could do some of the bass packs as well. If yall want me to, Ill do it. It might take a bit since I work about all damn day, but still. Just gotta tell me if theres any specific format for it.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Ahh, this is really useful. Thanks for taking the time to compile it!

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

Okay I tried to fit the .130 string in my E nut groove, and the nut just broke.

Is it bad to leave my bass with strings off? Since I'm going to go to the local music shop, I figure I don't need to put the strings back on, but I'm worried about the neck and the lack of tension
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Dec 19, 2007,
It'll be okay, just remember you'll need to do a full set up on your bass after.

Before fitting strings that are much bigger than the nut remember to file it down!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Charlatan_001

Is it bad to leave my bass with strings off? Since I'm going to go to the local music shop, I figure I don't need to put the strings back on, but I'm worried about the neck and the lack of tension

Ouch, I've never had that happen before

Just leave the bass as it is, remaining strings on, until you get it seen to.
I'd like to say thanks to all the members of the FAQ team for their hard work. it was a great read, and will surely come in handy. Thanks guys.

Speaking of breaking the nut when changing strings, I did that when I used to play guitar. My band was recording and I put a new heavier set of strings on the engineer's vintage Gretsch. And as soon as I hit the first chord, the nut exploded. He was not happy, although the constant "bust a nut" jokes from my band mates helped to lighten the mood...
Quote by Charlatan_001

When I tried to put my '51 P BEAD, I broke the nut, too - it split down the middle. With glue, it was as good as new. No, the neck won't warp with the strings off it - but don't leave them off too long.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
My bass is straight outta 1984 (the year, not an Orwellian reference), so I don't know if the 23-odd years of use has any effect on the nut's integrity.
I had to make an epicly phail first post back....you wouldn't expect any less from me, would you?
The math nerd in me is begging to point out that 2x12 doesn't move 24" of air and a 4x10 doesn't move 40" of air.

4 x (3.141 x (5x5)) = 314.1 inches squared

2 x (3.141 x (6x6)) = 226.152 Inches squared

A trivial error, maybe. But an error nonetheless.

Otherwise, an awesome job.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
The math nerd in me is begging to point out that 2x12 doesn't move 24" of air and a 4x10 doesn't move 40" of air.

4 x (3.141 x (5x5)) = 314.1 inches squared

2 x (3.141 x (6x6)) = 226.152 Inches squared

A trivial error, maybe. But an error nonetheless.

Otherwise, an awesome job.

You haven't taken into account the fact that speakers are conical, or the excursion of different speakers
Quote by smb
You haven't taken into account the fact that speakers are conical, or the excursion of different speakers

and you haven't taken into account I can't be bothered with that
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Just for the record, I didnt write that bit, that was inserted after by someone else.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I think there should be a basses to avoid section so that whenever someone posts
another annoying thunderbird thread we can skip all the hasle and just reffer them to the faq.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I do think there needs to be a section about "Bass books"--I'd be willing to put together a "Top 5 books to start you off on your bass playing career".
Yah yah^
That sounds good.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by anarkee
I do think there needs to be a section about "Bass books"--I'd be willing to put together a "Top 5 books to start you off on your bass playing career".

+1. If at least three of the top five aren't Hal Leonard, I'll be sorely disappointed in you.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Lol--point taken.

I'll work on this over the weekend and get something to Ben to review by New Years.
Damn this thread is good. nice one to all you guys who put time into this. wish it was here when i started!

Bumper that is just fcked up!! where can i can get some?
Quote by Applehead
Damn this thread is good. nice one to all you guys who put time into this. wish it was here when i started!

You're... ALIVE?!?!?!?!!?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Applehead
you cant keep a motherfcker like me down for long. plus i am single now

Now that's hot.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Applehead

Dude, if you wanna add any of your knowledge to the thread, just PM me about it and we'll see what we can do. This is a Living FAQ, it needs to grow and become a man of it's own.
Lol, expecting to get ignored, so just keeping it brief for once. No mention of 18"ers in the speaker section? Not everyone's cup of tea, granted, but I'm sure Fitz fancied one, and he's not alone in that. I'd sell an internal organ for a Cerwin-Vega folded horn...

I mentioned boiled linseed oil as THE panacea for guitar cleaning woes in the draft version of this thread, a while back. At least it is in my book, I won't put anything else near any of mine. Maple, rosewood, painted or clearcoat, it'll clean them all. Some folk don't like the 'shell' that builds up over time with it tho.
Yeah, I'm going to make a few additions/clarifications today, and I'll definitely include the 18 - I did do a bunch of reasearch.

Also, I don't know, but if someone could make the distinction between a compression horn and a titanium HLF driver, that would be cool - admittedly, it might be a little "much" for an FAQ such as this.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..