Page 4 of 20
Ok, here goes!
A compression horn achieves sound pressure level and projection, because of the shape of the horn. It compresses the air between the throat (the narrowest bit near the driver), and the driver; imparts a large pressure with small displacement (i.e. small driver working very hard), and fires it out along the flare of the horn.
The flare has an exponential ratio to its' shape, tuned to accentuate a given frequency range. Thus the air at the mouth of the flare has less pressure but more displacement.
It's the reverse of why waves are better to surf further from the shore. Instead of the force of the wave petering out as it rolls up the shallows, it's as if the horn punches the sound wave out into deeper (audio) water. Sort of.
It's really all about efficiency - paper diaphragms in the driver (or Fitz's titanium ones) are relatively heavier and denser than air, so the horn improves the transference ratio. Although, as titanium's stiffer and lighter than paper fibre, it's not hard to see why it (or aluminium) would be used. Either way, a small driver is much less power-hungry.
The horn doesn't have to be 'straight' - my old fave Cerwin-Vega have done 'folded' horns for many years now. It looks like a snail shell, if you see the cross-section in the tech info on their site. That allows a huge horn, for massive projection. (Their 'Sensurround' system had to be removed from some cinemas due to the structural damage caused to the buildings)
The downside is mostly that horns (HF especially) don't handle harmonics very well, so sound a little unnatural, and tend to acquire some unpleasant distortion in the process.
Sorry to go on, but it's a complex subject!
Sorry don't know if this has already been said ( couldn't sit through the seven pages of posts), there should be a bit on acoustic basses. So as to stop the threads on it. Something like "The Tacoma Thuderchief and (That one fender short scale, name isn't coming to me) are the only worth while acoustic basses. All others are too quite and/or have a boxy tone. For a semi decent more affordable bass possibly look into Michael Kelly basses." Just a thought.

Very nice job on the FAQ. Will be very helpfull.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by The Rival
Sorry don't know if this has already been said ( couldn't sit through the seven pages of posts), there should be a bit on acoustic basses. So as to stop the threads on it. Something like "The Tacoma Thuderchief and (That one fender short scale, name isn't coming to me) are the only worth while acoustic basses. All others are too quite and/or have a boxy tone. For a semi decent more affordable bass possibly look into Michael Kelly basses." Just a thought.

+1+1+1+1+1+1etcetc

ABG's are a subject that are an endless irritant to those who know the truth (according the the Tacoma gospel) and an endless fascination to the ignorant.

They need to be covered.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by The Rival

I think there's a huge, huge divide between decent and total ****e, and the Michael Kellys I've played sound and play just as good as my $100 7-string fretless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Could there be Links to some of the best bass forum threds,like The bass technique of the month threads and the Ultimate bass settings thread.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Could there be Links to some of the best bass forum threds,like The bass technique of the month threads and the Ultimate bass settings thread.

I'm already working on that.
Just gotta find a few online resources.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by thefitz
I think there's a huge, huge divide between decent and total ****e, and the Michael Kellys I've played sound and play just as good as my $100 7-string fretless.

Well yeah but you get the idea. And has anyone else already mentioned the upright bass thing? That should definately be in the FAQ.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
What would you want in it?

If your asking me about the upright thing this is what should be in it. That you will only get the true upright sound from and upright and that all other basses won't give you that tone. The electric uprights are as close as you're going to get, and some stuff like that. You all are more knowing about these things than I so something of that nature.
Quote by -February-Star-

Metal – The classic metal sound comes from boosted lows and highs and having the mids cut out. Remember try not to cut out all the mids because you’ll absolutely disappear.

Pretty much every thread I've seen here and elsewhere about playing metal bass says to boost the mids, not cut them.

Also, I think there should be something in the cabinets section about paper speakers vs. aluminum ones.
I have a question concerning the tonewoods section of the FAQ...
It says this about bubinga:

Bubinga: You could possibly consider bubinga to be mahogany on steroids. Bubinga is a very heavy wood with a bludgeoning low-mid and bass presence. It's a very dense wood, so there is some treble sparkle tucked away, but for the most part, it's a bassy wood.

However, Warmoth says that the tone is quite bright. Which source is correct?
^Well, I guess all relative, but in my experience, it's a heavy, bassy wood. There's some brightness there, but the wood is so heavy sounding that the brightness isn't the thing that hit me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Scourge441
Pretty much every thread I've seen here and elsewhere about playing metal bass says to boost the mids, not cut them.

Also, I think there should be something in the cabinets section about paper speakers vs. aluminum ones.

I agree. Scoop the mids, lose your presence. Even the classics had a boost at about 450hz, if you ask me. It allows you to have some clarity while still cutting through. The speaker idea is a good one, but it can be summed up in one sentence.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Mids don't interfere with clarity. Boosting or cutting the mids won't make the tone clearer or muddier - it'll make it louder and honkier. 120Hz-250Hz is mud. Those aren't "the mids" people keep referring to. 450Hz is a whole other tonal ballpark, and in my experience, "lolololol skoop da mids" is more of a fashion statement than something that needs to be done. Cutting out the aforementioned mud is something that definitely needs to be done.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Mids don't interfere with clarity. Boosting or cutting the mids won't make the tone clearer or muddier - it'll make it louder and honkier. 120Hz-250Hz is mud. Those aren't "the mids" people keep referring to. 450Hz is a whole other tonal ballpark, and in my experience, "lolololol skoop da mids" is more of a fashion statement than something that needs to be done. Cutting out the aforementioned mud is something that definitely needs to be done.

Boosting the mids won't make the bass sound muddier or clearer, but having the bass and the guitars cut the mids makes the whole band sound muddy because each instrument is trying to occupy the same tonal ranges.

That's what we mean by "clearer"- not in the bass sense, but in the band sense.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I beg to differ. If I boost the right frequency it definitely sounds muddy, and if I boost a different one it definitely sounds clearer. That's just what my ear is telling me.

i disagree. how can you clear up a sound by adding more to it, surely by adding to a muddy sound you are only making it muddier. to clear up a muddy tone you need to cut the frequencies responsible not boost the ones that aren't
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Delirium, i was wondering if you could add more information to the begginer basses like maybe what sort of sounds they put out, or if they work specifically good for any certain genres. im a bass noob so i dunno but ive been looking for more extensive info on beginner basses. and a beginner amp section would be great
Quote by Ali-b912
Delirium, i was wondering if you could add more information to the begginer basses like maybe what sort of sounds they put out, or if they work specifically good for any certain genres. im a bass noob so i dunno but ive been looking for more extensive info on beginner basses. and a beginner amp section would be great

Beginner amp section is there, I just haven't included it in the contents section yet. It's in Lendorav's first post.

And the thing is with telling someone how something sounds... it is REALLY a matter of individual opinion. I could say something sounds sterile, while someone else says it has a bit of growl. Plus, not giving info on how stuff sounds reinforces the bass forum mantra of "try bfore you buy"

Although you can check out the tonewood section and determine kinda how it may sound.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
However, knobs can be a pain in the backside. Literally.

to make this post not spam, thank you for the part on setting up your neck becuase the intonation on my A string was out.
My tone knob on my Precision Bass is loose and comes off, so how do I tighten it? It dosen't have a screw on the side of the knob like my Jazz Bass does.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
My tone knob on my Precision Bass is loose and comes off, so how do I tighten it? It dosen't have a screw on the side of the knob like my Jazz Bass does.

1) stop rocking
2) take the knob off
3) grab a flat head screwdriver
4) put between the 2 posts on the pot
5) make gap between 2 posts wider
6) replace knob
7) recommence rocking
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
1) stop rocking
2) take the knob off
3) grab a flat head screwdriver
4) put between the 2 posts on the pot
5) make gap between 2 posts wider
6) replace knob
7) recommence rocking

I tried that and it worked! Thanks for the advice!
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Any chance of a more thorough guide to string changing? I just find that it's pretty important and its something that most beginner bassists have a lot of trouble with, and the FAQ doesnt really go into much detail about it. Maybe even just putting the link to a thorough guide would be enough. I quite like http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_string_change/ . Also, might be handy to put in the tuning section, http://www.tunemybass.com, its quite a handy site.

Sorry, I'm not a living tunemybass.com advertisement, I just like the site.
Slight quibble, the affinity basses by Squier are made of Agathis depending on wether or not you purchased the value package.

Please fix the FAQ, I want to know that I atleast had some input in it. :P
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Feb 25, 2008,
No, the Affinity Series are made of Alder, but thinner bodied Alder. The Standards are Agathis. If it's not Alder, it's not Affinity.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
You know...I could go on my feminist rant about marketing guitars to females with cute little designs. But its a really nice day outside and I got a free cup of coffee from the cafe, so I am in a really, really good mood and will let this one slide.....for now.

And Boyce, you are such a smart ass, son....
Okay, okay...a more serious post - for those of you serious about recording look up Tape Op magazine - you can get a free subscription on their website and it is a seriously good magazine.
When you're talking about the tone of the wood, do you mean the body, neck or fretboard? O.o
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
We're talking about the body in this case. With the neck you're more concerned about its resistance to tension (you don't want the neck to bend out of shape) and the fretboard material makes a bigger cosmetic and feel difference than it does a tonal difference (although conventional wisdom is that maple sounds brighter and rosewood warmer)
Quote by barb3rman
When you're talking about the tone of the wood, do you mean the body, neck or fretboard? O.o

Body woods. I did a thing on fingerboards among other things thatll probably be up in the next update.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Oh ok. Thanks. =D
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I have a Mike Dirnt Precision Bass and playing higher up the neck (14+) is a bitch. How do I change the action?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Theres a whole section on maintainence and set ups, look there.

This isnt really a Q&A thread cause lots of stuff is in the posts at the top!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Theres a whole section on maintainence and set ups, look there.

This isnt really a Q&A thread cause lots of stuff is in the posts at the top!

Oh ok, sorry.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.