Page 5 of 20
Quote by TJ1991
Oh ok, sorry.

no prob. but alot of people put in alot of work, so read the FAQ. it's full of usefull info.
after that, check-out.
http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/
you have to read the "whole" thing to really get it.
welcome to UG Bass!
While looking for Applehead's slap technique thread I had an idea...links to classic threads that'll be useful to newbs in some way

Show off Your Bass 2
You know you are a bassist when... (much as I wish this thread would die)
What bassist do you love that no-one mentions
I need bass songs to learn
Name that bassline
Pics of your favourite bassists
Ultimate collection of bass licks
TOTM: Scales
TOTM: Tapping
TOTM: Slap bass
Bass maintenance
Ask the Bass Militia (Well, it's a classic thread in the making)
Epic bass amp thread
Quote by christmeehan
any1 no where to get classic gene simmons axe bass?

Try a google search, those are nearly always fruitful in gear searches.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by christmeehan
any1 no where to get classic gene simmons axe bass?

http://www.guitarden.com/simmons/

I fail to see why they are so poulair though....
Nice to have hanging on a wall but thats about it.

The price of this unique, fabulous collectible is $19,800. It includes a presentation "coffin" case.

SO You better ask your dad to get a second mortgage on the house cause you want one
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Just a quick thought on EQ'ing.
I'm finding while mixing, that I'm cutting the bass off completely below about 40hz, to allow the bass drum a place to sit in the mix. It doesn't make much difference to the tone, if anything tightening it up a bit. Can be done with a Hi-pass Filter too.
yes this can be done by putting a high pass filter into your rig (i'm assuming you mean for live purposes) and setting the cut off point to 40hz although having never done it live i can't say what the outcome would be, my common sense is saying it wouldn't be the best idea in the world. Also bear in mind that live you have more sonic space to fill than when you record.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
what about 1x18 speaker cabs? and also, a 4x10 doesn't push 40" of air, it moves 314" of air at a time. area of a circle is (radius)^2 x 3.14. so in this case that's ((5^2)x3.14)x4. learn basic math.
Quote by spiff389
what about 1x18 speaker cabs? and also, a 4x10 doesn't push 40" of air, it moves 314" of air at a time. area of a circle is (radius)^2 x 3.14. so in this case that's ((5^2)x3.14)x4. learn basic math.

If you haven't got anything useful to add to this thread, don't bother posting. And what about 182 speaker cabs? 18" speaker cabs aren't that common, which is why they haven't been included, and the tone of your post seemed very hostile to me. Learn basic forum etiquette.
Quote by spiff389

It would actually push a little more than that, you're not taking into account the fact that the speaker is conical
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by spiff389
ok, so just delete my post. there still are 1x18 bass cabs. i own one.

"Here are the most common ones and comments on the tonal qualities of each. "

Doesn't say that they're the ONLY speaker configs, does it? It's pretty petty to nitpick on the two most insigificant things in that entire body of work, when it is a fantastic joint effort.
Yeah, yeah the 40" of air thing was just an oversimplification. You know what I meant though. It really doesn't matter if it pumps 40" of air or 250000" of air. All that matters is 10" speakers push less that 12". That's what I was going for. It's a FAQ for beginners, I doubt they'd really care if I took into account the area of a cone or not.
I'm thinking of starting up bass possibly and was wondering what are some good starter basses to found in australia? i also might be looking at pawn shops so what should i keep and eye for in there?
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
Quote by badpun
I'm thinking of starting up bass possibly and was wondering what are some good starter basses to found in australia? i also might be looking at pawn shops so what should i keep and eye for in there?

i believe every bass in the beginner bass section can be found worldwide, if you're looking for specific recommendations then we'd need more information about your taste in music and what you're looking to play on it.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
...why is the Warwick Rockbass that is so vigorously recommended in the start of the tread not listen on the Warwick website? http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/

*wonders*

I can get the beautiful blue Rockbass Standard (4st) for e280 but I'm not getting it if Warwick doesn't want anything to do with it :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
rockbass has it's own website which is linked on the bottom of the page you linked us to

http://www.warwickrockbass.com/
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
if you haven't tried the dean already, go out and do so because buying a bass without playing it first is the definition of stupidity.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
That's the thing, skater dan0, Guitar Center has those in stock but the Peaveys they do not. I plan to stimulate Guitar Center's wallet and was looking for any technical reason not to purchase it. Like is the wood poor quality (basswood which is neutral tone) or the "custom pickups" or whatever they use?
ok then so you've tried it, i assume you liked how it felt and sounded. i'm not a fan of dean basses because they all seem too metal for my taste, saying that i've never had a stuctural problem with a dean bass i've played, just make sure you get a complete professional set up from GC when you buy it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Not really an FAQ, but I didn't wanna make a new thread.

I have an SR 406 bass.
When I tell people this, it seems like EVERYONE says "Yeah, don't breathe on it"
But I get no explanation. So I'm looking for one.
Why can't I breathe on this bass and no others?
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Well, Id guess they dont rate the build quality, but my SRX305 hasnt had any such problems whatsoever...

I dont know why theyd think that tough, unless ibanezs have a rep for falling apart on stage....
Ibanez used to be patchy back in the 70's, did ok in most of the 80's, except for the skinny-neck jobs. Advertised by the likes of Gerald Veasley, they genuinely would fold in half if you stared too hard at them. (The electrics were 1st rate tho' - that's whats in my BCR, and that's how I got them. Off one whose neck snapped...)

Since then, they've not done anything that daft, and all Ibanez's are solid. I've got a BTB300 on the way, and possibly an old ATK; neither of which I'm concerned about.

Ignore the Ibanez knockers. Concentrate on the girly kind. Much funner.
^BTW, apparently the new SR Series instruments have the thinner neck dimensions (20% thinner than previous models) that were the same as the original "folding" varieties. Keep that in mind.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
^ Yeah, I noticed that in the '08 catalogue too! I think these new ones will be ok tho' - the old ones really did just look like an elongated Super Wizard (complete with 4 inline 'blade' headstock, and no-volute scarf joint). Now the plies look a bit better thought out, and the heel seems to have a little more wood about it.
Time will tell...

Hang on. Just in case...

I bagsy the electronics off the first one that folds! Lol

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that the 'old ones' I'm on about, were the RD series basses, as promoted by Gerald Veasley in his Joe Zawinul days. I got my pups from an RD828, the same as his, and they had 1-pc necks. Being as he's moved onto an SR, and an ATK; there can't be too much wrong with them!
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at May 6, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
^BTW, apparently the new SR Series instruments have the thinner neck dimensions (20% thinner than previous models) that were the same as the original "folding" varieties. Keep that in mind.

Is this why you're not supposed to breathe on them?
That was my origional question.. But I don't think anyone answered it =/
Re-iterate (sp?)
People tell me not to breathe on my SR-406.. WHY?
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede

I guess its cause the necks are so thin for a 6 string bass, so it seems a bit delicate.

They probably reinforce the neck with carbon fibre rods tho or summit, idk.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by King Of Suede
Is this why you're not supposed to breathe on them?
That was my origional question.. But I don't think anyone answered it =/
Re-iterate (sp?)

Don't worry about it. It'll be fine.

Like I said, they're carrying the reputation for some guitars, and one range of basses that were fragile. Shame, 'cos the rest of it, before and since, is good.
What kind of tuning is this??:

G|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|
A|-2~~------2~~--------3-2-3------|
E|-----3~~-------3~~---------0-2--|
B|--------------------------------|

EDIT: Link to tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/passafire/feel_it_btab.htm
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
What kind of tuning is this??:

G|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|
A|-2~~------2~~--------3-2-3------|
E|-----3~~-------3~~---------0-2--|
B|--------------------------------|

EDIT: Link to tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/passafire/feel_it_btab.htm

It's a five string bass.
For you yanks - MF has the Ibanez SRX650 on clearance at $299

you couldn't get a new funkin' Squier for that here
damn yanks they always get the best deals
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I'm playing a six string Ibanez Soundgear bass and whenever I play on the 12th, 14th and 15th fret of the C string I get a really bad buzzing sound, how do I fix this?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
that's a case of neck relief or the action. Most likely the neck relief. Instructions on the first page.

I disagree; in my experience, neck relief has caused buzzing on all strings between frets 1-5. For one string to be buzzing so up high, and assuming it's NOT a construction issue like a warped neck or crappy frets, I think it's a matter of raising the action of that one string. However, check the neck relief anyway. That said, for the 12th, 14th and 15th frets to buzz and NOT the 13th just may sound like bad frets that need dressing. If you just got the bass and this is the case, I think you should be entitled to a nice fret dressing at the local store.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..