Page 1 of 37
kosmic
G Am E
1,269 IQ
It seems Valve King threads and questions are becoming common around here, so here's a thread just for that!

I've heard people say that it's pure crap. I've also heard people say it's an amazing amp. Which is it?! So in this thread, ask questions, discuss the Valve King, say what it's good for, what it's not good for, ect...

Also, if you own a Valve King, specify which kind, and please provide a brief review for it.

PS, feel free to post photographs of your Valve King.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
um, why not an ONLY MG thread. the valveking is not really discussed that much. only within threads
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
kosmic
G Am E
1,269 IQ
Exactly, so now people know where to go for information on the Valve King, since opinions seem to be so divided on it.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
on second thought...

I have the valveking halfstack. I bought it used for 400 dollars. ridiculously good deal. currently in the process of selling the 4x12 cab for a 2x12 with vintage 30s, but even with the crap stock speakers, it sounds great. I have a crap epiphone sg, with stock pickups. the cleans are awesome, i can get an awesome minus the bear tone out of it. Distortion is also great. i havent had a chance to crank it yet, since its been in my apartment, but it already sounds good. Has more gain then id ever need, and it SOUNDS GOOD too. despite people saying it isnt voiced for modern metal it is. Just look at youtube demo's for more proof. I can get an awesome converge tone, and if i played or liked metalcore, it would do awesome. You definitely do not need an OD to get metal out of this amp, whether or not you think it is voiced for it or not. On mine, the resonance and presence controls actually make a very big difference, as does the class a and ab. Once i have had a chance to play with some pedals, and my new cab ill update this a bit.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
slash_rocks2005
Call me Sharpie
4,177 IQ
i ALMOST settled for one.....b/c it was all tube, sounded GREAT mind you, and the price was just bout at home. .

then i went to a second local guitar shop and saw the Randall rm50 on SALE

retail price is $1400, and it was slashed down to $750.....

so i convinced my bro to buy me that instead b/c i have admit the tone is way clearer and saturated in the randall.

but the valveking is NOT a bad buy, just people who are too lazy to figure out how to EQ an amp rite want everything to be achieved with 5 seconds of fiddling.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS
54 IQ
i got a valveking stack... 100 watts louder than hell

they are for the price - the best you can do (esp here in australia) i was in the market for a marshall dsl - it sucked total balls compared to the vk, altho theyre both great amps i play punk and i get a killer bad religion-esque tone out of it the dsl sounded well it didnt sound tough enough if that makes sense

i jumped on the valve king band wagon it kicks

9/10 (coz its way to loud for home but i do it anyways)
kosmic
G Am E
1,269 IQ
What do you guys think of the 112 and 212 versions? And provide photographs of your VKs!
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Hakael
UG's Six String Samurai
1,989 IQ
I've got the VK100 and personally I think it's a beast of an amp. Some of the complaints regarding the tone could probably be remedied by any combination of speaker change, tube change, and/or proper EQ setting. That being said, it's still going to come down to personal preference.

My name is Hakael, and I'm a Valve King player.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
keno190
156 IQ
Quote by Hakael

My name is Hakael, and I'm a Valve King player.

hahahhaah..classic!!
i have a vk112 too, but i haven't tapped it too much due to the apartment setting i am in. I have to respect my neighbors too. lol
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS
54 IQ
this page died... bump that ****
Quote by ozzy578
amadeus, calm the **** down.

MIA STRAT - [50TH ANNIVERSARY] ****SOON TO HAVE COOLRAILS

PEAVEY VALVEKING 100WATT HALF STACK [KILLER]
Limakontol
282 IQ
Can anyone comment on the combo versions ? specifically the 112, im planning to use it for metal, but good clean as well.. im not buying stacks... my neighbur would kill me
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by amadeus_who
heres my strat and vk100 for your viewing pleasure

peace out homies

Those stickers on your pick guard are sweet.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
mrmarc772
AILD Fan Boy
570 IQ
Quote by Limakontol
Can anyone comment on the combo versions ? specifically the 112, im planning to use it for metal, but good clean as well.. im not buying stacks... my neighbur would kill me

you prolly wanna play it... not really an insane amount of gain pumpin through that thing...

and it has a speaker out... so you can always buy a cab later if the neighbors piss you off.
Dr. B
1,197 IQ
I have the 100W head which I play through a Laney 4x12 (just got a Laney 2x12 but I haven't tried it yet.

For the price the VK is very decent.
The real tube sound is there for sure but when put side by side with a real quality amp you can tell the difference.
But there is a price difference.

My bandmate has a JCM900 which he uses a Boss overdrive with and I much prefer the sound of the VK.

There is enough gain for death metal but not enough in my opinion for black metal and it's not modern in the sense of a 6505 or Mesa.

Not really tried the cleans
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
wilmearz
ug's guitar addict....
113 IQ
im currently borrowing the VK 50 watt 112 combo, and even though its minus the reverb unit, cos my teacher is lending it to someone, i still really like it! it gets a pretty good guns n roses tone though not absolutely amazing. a good step up to a tube amp from an mg! The clean sounds are good and v versityle, the OD is classic sounding and the whole tone can be changed from class A to A/B wid the texture control. overall, i really like it though i will probably not buy one, as i am really looking for a jcm 800.
Hakael
UG's Six String Samurai
1,989 IQ
Does anyone have any particular settings they'd like to share?
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
vegetoe01
872 IQ
I own the 212 combo, and it's loud as hell. The cleans are great, but it feedsback too much on the higher gain setting, hence the need for a noise gate. Also it sounds quite muffled at high volume, I'm guessing thats because of the speakers. It's also broken down on me twice, so yeh not pleased with it's reliability. So far since it's last repair it's been ok though, just hope it can last long enough till i get a decent gigging amp. Overall I'd say save a bit more and get a Laney if you live in the U.K.
Green_Jelly
Live from the tone lounge
480 IQ
Quote by Hakael
Does anyone have any particular settings they'd like to share?

Look up this guy on YouTube, his name's JamieOldfield. He gets a pretty sweet metal tone out of his 212.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Def
840 IQ
I have the 112, but I have an eminence legend speaker in it, and groove tubes for the pre and power amps. Can get some really good sounds out of it. Very high gain amp when used properly I'd say.
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS
54 IQ
the settings i use (oh the head version) are roughly

bass 1 oclock
mid 10/11 oclock
treb at about 3/4 o clock

thats all from memory as im not at home atm. i do play punk so, i get some cool pennywise/bad religion sounds out of it, so in other words just good high gain

ill take a picture of my head for all to see tonight

also the texture knob is only ever all the way to A or all the way to AB never in the middle, neitehr one sounds better theyre just different
Quote by ozzy578

LEVEL4
New and ill-advised.
2,694 IQ
If you can't afford a 5150/6505, I think the ValveKings + a pedal, are the next best thing. They have sweet-sounding distortion, just not quite as much. It's a great amp for the money, IMO. Put a dirt pedal in front of a VK, and it should tear ass.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

ZedLeppy
Musical Love Maker
225 IQ
Alrighty. What is so great about the Valvekings??

I was just looking at a thread about an MG and there were quite a few suggestions to the Valveking.

GIMME SPECS PLZ!!!!

Lulz. thx.
When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Quote by pencap
i fingerd my girl the other day she got so wet nearly my entier hand was soked after that i ate her up, she blacked out it was awesome
hardcoredarrell
Banned
430 IQ
It just sounds better lol, though its not a 6505 or a 5150, it can do pretty sweet modern metal, "with the right settings" of course, I can play Despised Icon on it in B standard with no problem, sounds really well, there are all kind of things to full with, the 112 VK has a Precerence button on the back while the 212 and head have nobs for the precerance and resonance, the VK 112 can sound just like JamesObrien's 212, and you can make it sound better as it is less wattage than the 212, and a 112 can outdo drummers around vol 5 lol,, you can put it into a cab and pa system
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS
54 IQ
with all that being said, i think its a case of try before you buy... as ive heard there are some bad ones (as theyre chinese made) so youve gotta make sure you get a good one, altho they do come with a 5 yr waranty so your not totally screwed
Quote by ozzy578

Xeroxed
511 IQ
****, I have the 112 with stock 12AX7's and JJ 6L6GC's, and it rocks pretty well. This Christmas I'm putting a Vintage 30 into it to see if it gets even better. I don't think you can do much better for the price, or even a few hundred more. I have a Jekyll & Hyde OD for it, but I don't really need it or use it for anything. This thing has a ton of gain. The only time you would need an OD is if you're playing some ****ing brutally distorted metal. Also, this thing is LOUD.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Xeroxed
511 IQ
Oh yeah, the cleans sound great too.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
ISM
Lord and Master
909 IQ
On one of the UG reviews for this amp sum guy said there was a delay between what u play and it being amplified, is that true or is he talkin about the delay effect or he messed up or summit.

MVL.
CanCan
UG Addict
840 IQ
Is the VK able of pulling crystal clear cleans and vintage drive? I was pretty set on a Laney VC but I'm finding myself playing harder stuff that I doubt the VC will be able to pull off.
hardcoredarrell
Banned
430 IQ
Quote by CanCan
Is the VK able of pulling crystal clear cleans and vintage drive? I was pretty set on a Laney VC but I'm finding myself playing harder stuff that I doubt the VC will be able to pull off.

oh but it can...... you can play Despised Icon, As Blood Runs Black, Annotations of An Autopsy, and Waking the Cadaver ETC.......with it I mean there are two gain nobs and boost and inputs for weaker pickup guitars that has +10db of gain
MasterWerk
54 IQ
the cleans are pretty clean at moderate volumes. once you crank it, it gets a little dirty, which I like, but you may not. The drive isn't very vintage and it gets up there pretty quick. a decent vintage voiced drive pedal will do the trick for you.

I have a 112, retubed with JJ's and I have swapped the speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat. I'm surprised at the amount of low end this little combo has. nice and tight, with decent highs - not the icepick to the eardrum highs I usually hear in cheap 112's.

I bought mine used and the reverb is absolute balls. it's hideous, but i don't really need it anyway. I have some really really good software reverb so when I record, it's all going through that anyway. I'm not crazy about the drive channel for my tastes. A little too gain-y with a big loss of articulation. maybe i'm not eqing right, and I admit to not spending much time with it, but my MI Audio Crunch Box through the clean channel is where it's at.

I would highly reccommend the speaker and tube change. it went from a good deal to a good amp. very satisfied. however, if I was going to move beyond the recording only atmosphere and get really serious about playing shows and the like, i'd be tempted to pick up the 212 or the head version. however, 112 is more than enough for jamming and practices.
Hakael
UG's Six String Samurai
1,989 IQ
Quote by ISM
On one of the UG reviews for this amp sum guy said there was a delay between what u play and it being amplified, is that true or is he talkin about the delay effect or he messed up or summit.

MVL.

I've never experienced any conceivable amount of delay on my VK100, nor have I noticed anything of the like when I've tried the combo versions out at my GC.
hardcoredarrell
Banned
430 IQ

use those settings, you may have to play around with them a little bit to get the sound your looking for, but that is the general ball park, yes thats the 212, but you can get the same sound, as there is a prescerence button on the back of the 112, there are two inputs one for low performance pickups to give +10db of gain while another input for EMG Actives, try out those settings above, you may have to change settings a tiny bit due to pickups beeing slightly different.......note that those are someone elses eq not mine, but you get the ball park idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5Qb4SVqU8&feature=user

not bad sound eh?? watch that, thats with passive pickups, but his Active one sounds better >;] Brootalz without pedals, who says VK can't do good
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS
54 IQ
^^^^^^^^^^^ what sort of sound does that give you (im thinking some kinda metal)

im still searching for my tone on the VK but im close (mines kinda the same only a touch more bass and my mids are on about half way = good punk tone)

also the DELAY that people talk about isnt between the guitar and the amp. its when you change chanels on the foot switch, which i can not comment on as i didnt buy the footswitch coz i play punk so i just need the lead chanel mostly.
Quote by ozzy578

kaos_slayer
Plufff!
43 IQ
Can you give me some advice on what cab should i run through the VK Head, i didn't liked the VK cab so i'm searching for something else but i need help.
Please can you tell me a good value cab for this amp (4x12 or 2x12 it doesn't matter and <500&euro??(marshall, engl, framus, crate, etc)..
Thx for any answer to this
Cheers
"For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams"
mrmarc772
AILD Fan Boy
570 IQ
Quote by MasterWerk

I would highly reccommend the speaker and tube change. it went from a good deal to a good amp. very satisfied. however, if I was going to move beyond the recording only atmosphere and get really serious about playing shows and the like, i'd be tempted to pick up the 212 or the head version. however, 112 is more than enough for jamming and practices.

just use the speaker out and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS
54 IQ
Quote by kaos_slayer
Can you give me some advice on what cab should i run through the VK Head, i didn't liked the VK cab so i'm searching for something else but i need help.
Please can you tell me a good value cab for this amp (4x12 or 2x12 it doesn't matter and <500&euro??(marshall, engl, framus, crate, etc)..
Thx for any answer to this
Cheers

standard choice would be marshall 1960a which is killer with any head really, i have heard of someone using a laney cab - but really you can go wrong with the marshall cab
Quote by ozzy578

pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
i agree, that the vintage drive/classic rocks sounds arent so great stock on this amp, but a nice pedal will fix that.

ok so i just got my new avatar 2x12 in the mail with vintage 30s

results: (besides it being incredibly red and black and sexy)

the clean channel is MUCH nicer. i wasn't expecting too much of a difference in this area, but i was very impressed. It remains bright but it just has a much nicer sound, i cant really describe it though. the distortion channel was AWESOME for chugs and palm mutes, this set up would be awesome for a rhythm guitarist. the lead channel was better, but it wasn't too noticeable. im expecting a better increase in the tone when i break in the speakers.

all in all im very happy with the new cab. definetly gives this amp new life. maybe ill upload a pic or something

also, kaosslayer, go here

www.avatarspeakers.com
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob