Page 2 of 37
THx for the help, i should look for a Marshall or Avatar
Thx again
Cheers
"For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams"
fyi

i was noodling around with my eq and i gotta say to those people who cant find a good eq, WTF are you doing coz it takes about 12 seconds to 2 minutes to get it going

ps this was half bump so just to keep it real

BIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUMP
Quote by ozzy578
amadeus, calm the **** down.

MIA STRAT - [50TH ANNIVERSARY] ****SOON TO HAVE COOLRAILS

PEAVEY VALVEKING 100WATT HALF STACK [KILLER]
Im not sure what amp to get still. Im kind of leaning toward the valve king 112.
RIP Kurt Cobain 1967-1994

Guitar Gear:
Squier Jagmaster (killswitch, dimarzio super dist. &tone zone pups)
Digitech Rp80
Digitech death metal
Dunlop Wah

Squier Bullet

Bass:
Ibanez Sr305
Ibanez gio
Fender rumble 100
its a good amp... i tried all of them (not the royal 8)

and as im reading your sig you will prolly love it, it gets excellent grunge/punk/metal sounds. i hear the speaker is weak in the 112 so maybe a speaker change is in order. the 412 cab sounds good to me but maybe the speakers were broken in when i got it

ive never regretted buying a valve king
Quote by ozzy578

How does the VK compare to the Peavey Classic? I'm trying to decide on which one I will eventually buy. I'll probably be playing mostly blues style stuff on it so insane distortion isn't necessary.
get the classic, the valve king is just a rock/metal machine... great cleans tho but the lead chanel is really just for rocking out really hard

others might have a better opinion since i dont really do blues
Quote by ozzy578

I test drove my Les Paul through a Valveking...it sounded quite nice, especially with "brightness" turned on and a bit of reverb, got a great jazzy/BB King tone from it

And my mate just got a Valveking but he's (and I'm!!!) not allowed to play it till Xmas...
I find it's distortion kinda brittle... but I've tried it with different guitars thenh my squir and it sounds a bit better...

Although I have tried putting my Multi-fx infront of it using it as an overdrive/boost and it sounds pretty damn nive so I can't wait till i get a proper overdrive.
I just sold my VK212 combo. it's a good amp for the price range. but it's all subjective to opinion. there are equally valued amps in that price range.

if I could go back, would I buy it again? not likely. it has a good clean channel, but the overdrive channel is lacking in the end. the effects loop helped out a lot there. but I picked up a VHT Pitbull, so I had no more use for it.
Quote by Vet454Stang427
Great Thread!

I've owned my VK112 for about 9 months now, no regrets either. I'm just beginning to research into moding it just for fun. BTW for those of you who are interested here's an interesting link I found on the net while browsing:

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=43002886&groupID=106082026&adTopicID=21&Mytoken=C4B61FFC-9CB5-4AC4-8F5652035B9117B47844625

What do you all think, eh?

ye theres some mileage in doing that. groove tubes in the preamp did great things for the distortion on my amp. gave it an completely new smoother character.
Quote by Vet454Stang427
Great Thread!

I've owned my VK112 for about 9 months now, no regrets either. I'm just beginning to research into moding it just for fun. BTW for those of you who are interested here's an interesting link I found on the net while browsing:

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=messageboard.viewThread&entryID=43002886&groupID=106082026&adTopicID=21&Mytoken=C4B61FFC-9CB5-4AC4-8F5652035B9117B47844625

What do you all think, eh?

soundclips?
I have a 100w valveking head, at the time I needed a gigging rig quick so I grabbed one.

They are good amps for the money really the distortion channel is okay .. the clean is ****e.. just projects a boomy wall of sound that while super clean is totally naf for strumming chords and stuff cus its just SOO damn boomy, no breakup at all really nasty!

Recently Ive become fed up with the amp, it just sounds cheap to me the tone is cheap and live my solo's do not project well because of this, just sounds like grainy distortion, no tone. Its too loud to get a decent tone out of at home and to honest unless your playing ****ING MASSIVE venues ..(and if you are playing huge venue's you'll know they ALL have an in-house PA setup).. so who the hell needs 100w's???? REALLY?!

Now here's the good bit.. if your a kid who think's he/she is **** hot cus you can play some trivium songs or a sloppy cover of cannon rock (LMAO) this amp will rock your socks!! firstly its got 100w's of power and well 100w is more than 50w so that must mean its better right! secondly, palm mutes sound killer (who the **** sez that about an amp apart from a totall guitar newbie!!).

Seriously tho, the amp is okay if you NEED 2 channel amp in a hurry and you plan to step up...or ....if your some kid who think's your "killer" because you can play some trivium or lamb of god but yet as far as theory and lead, all you can do is mangle your way through the first shape of a minor pentatonic and bend a few notes out of tune.. NICE!.. But yeh its killer for palm mutes..
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Sorry bout that im currently doing my nut trying to choose between a rack system or a proper amp.. ahhh!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Quote by synth002
I have a 100w valveking head, at the time I needed a gigging rig quick so I grabbed one.

They are good amps for the money really the distortion channel is okay .. the clean is ****e.. just projects a boomy wall of sound that while super clean is totally naf for strumming chords and stuff cus its just SOO damn boomy, no breakup at all really nasty!

Recently Ive become fed up with the amp, it just sounds cheap to me the tone is cheap and live my solo's do not project well because of this, just sounds like grainy distortion, no tone. Its too loud to get a decent tone out of at home and to honest unless your playing ****ING MASSIVE venues ..(and if you are playing huge venue's you'll know they ALL have an in-house PA setup).. so who the hell needs 100w's???? REALLY?!

Now here's the good bit.. if your a kid who think's he/she is **** hot cus you can play some trivium songs or a sloppy cover of cannon rock (LMAO) this amp will rock your socks!! firstly its got 100w's of power and well 100w is more than 50w so that must mean its better right! secondly, palm mutes sound killer (who the **** sez that about an amp apart from a totall guitar newbie!!).

Seriously tho, the amp is okay if you NEED 2 channel amp in a hurry and you plan to step up...or ....if your some kid who think's your "killer" because you can play some trivium or lamb of god but yet as far as theory and lead, all you can do is mangle your way through the first shape of a minor pentatonic and bend a few notes out of tune.. NICE!.. But yeh its killer for palm mutes..

The great wall of text... Purdy.

Maybe people like their palm mutes? I was thinking of picking up a Valveking for a metal rhythm tone and A/Bing it with my Laney for leads. I mean, not only total guitar newbies like a really tight tone for palm muting. Who wants flabby Superlead bass when you're rocking out some "killer" (As you put it ) metal songs? Maybe you were expecting more out of the thing but I mean, it's a 400 dollar budget amplifier, if your expectations were so high, why didn't you pick up something else in the store instead of whining in a guitar forum? Cheers!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 26, 2007,
LoL okay so I went a lil OTT.. Ive used the amp for almost a year for gigging but now I want sumthing better.. its okay for a first head but as you listen to more music play more you mitght find yourself wanting/needing to step up
Quote by Count Seanula
My opinions on the VK212 and VK112 are completely different. The 112 sounds like total ass and the cleans are sterile. The 212, though, is a real beast. The cleans are really warm sounding while the gain is pretty much great for classic rock. I put in a tubescreamer infront of it and achieved a really heavy metal tone with half an hour of fiddling. New speakers and tubes can turn these amps into real, giggable monsters. If I didn't find a Marshall JTM60 for way less than the price of a VK212, I would've gone for one instead.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Agreed.
I think with the right tubes on a VK 212 or Head this amp can go to another level.
BTW, the guys on the "mosh pit" wouldn't care about the crappy tone, and if u're something huge in a crowd of 10000 people only few will focus on your tone and stuff, but is just an opinion.
Cheers
"For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams"
im gonna play around with the tubes eventually - im not over the amp and ive had it for more than enough time to be sick of it

theres tons of threads round here about what tubes to swap out
Quote by ozzy578

I picked up the 212 combo a few weeks ago and am loving it so far.

I'll agree with alot of the comments about the clean not being great, it isn't, but the only thing I really use the clean channel for is a few ska riffs here and there so it works fine for me. If you're going to be playing blues or jazz it's probably not the amp for you.

I think the 100w 212 may be a slight bit of overkill though. Turned it up to 4 in the basement the other day and one chord shook the light fixture above me so badly the glass globe fell off and smashed. Guess I'll just stick to playing it at practice.

My only complaint as of yet is that it weighs about 100,000lbs. Going to toss some casters on it this weekend to ease my back pain though heh.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
I have a valve king, and I love it . I changed the power tubes to SED 6L6GC's, and it sound a lot warmer now. I like to have my settings like this:
T:8
M:6
B:5
Gain:3 w/ gain boost

great plexi-esque tone.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by Xeroxed
****, I have the 112 with stock 12AX7's and JJ 6L6GC's, and it rocks pretty well. This Christmas I'm putting a Vintage 30 into it to see if it gets even better. I don't think you can do much better for the price, or even a few hundred more. I have a Jekyll & Hyde OD for it, but I don't really need it or use it for anything. This thing has a ton of gain. The only time you would need an OD is if you're playing some ****ing brutally distorted metal. Also, this thing is LOUD.

So have you put the Vintage 30 in yet. Or anybody really? Has anyone done any tube changes/speaker changes and had good results? I just bought the Valve king and was planning on swapping tubes to jj's and considering the V30 as well. Here is a question, what peavey speaker is worse? The Valve King or the Blue Marvel? This should actually be a poll question.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by Lynchworm at Dec 27, 2007,
So I just dropped in my new eminence redcoat speaker, and the amp is a million times better. I can't wait until it's fully broken in!

and the front:
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
the metal plate the VK wings are on, can you take that off??? i took that off on my head version and put back jsut the peavey logo - looks so much better... ill post up some pics tonight

just wondered if you could on the combo

people dont strait away see it as a vk, not that im ashamed... but ppl hear the nake vavle king and instanly go GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY... this lets them go that sounds sweet then you drop the VK name and they go "really?"

ps - yeah i stole the idea from the 5150 removal thingo thread some guy i cant remember did
Quote by ozzy578

I'm not positive. I took it off once a long time ago then put it back, but I'm pretty sure it looks dumb underneath, because that's where the speaker cover is attached.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
bummer man, ill post up mine later... looks killer
Quote by ozzy578

please do, I'm curious how it looks.

oh, forgot to mention. I ripped out my reverb tank and all associated wires. you can see (barely) on my control panel where I blacked out 'master' and 'reverb' around that knob. I only use my holy grail in the fx loop, it sounds much better that way, and I have direct control with my feet over the reverb level.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
two shots of the wing removal thingo i did

i think it looks better - comments/questions?

peace
Quote by ozzy578

Quote by amadeus_who
the metal plate the VK wings are on, can you take that off??? i took that off on my head version and put back jsut the peavey logo - looks so much better... ill post up some pics tonight

just wondered if you could on the combo

people dont strait away see it as a vk, not that im ashamed... but ppl hear the nake vavle king and instanly go GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY... this lets them go that sounds sweet then you drop the VK name and they go "really?"

ps - yeah i stole the idea from the 5150 removal thingo thread some guy i cant remember did

I'm not sure this will work because I havent received it yet (this wednesday) and not sure if the wings are just painted on or actual pieces on the metal but I was thinking of just spray painting the metal plate all black. I like the peavey logo, just not the wings.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
yeah i heard it might not work on the combo, it def works on the head (See above)

it looks alot better without the wings, but im unsure if painting over them is the best option. might turn out bad
Quote by ozzy578

I'm going to trade in my VK112 tomorrow for a nice set of Mogami cables. Anyone know how much in-store credit Guitar Center would give me?
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by amadeus_who
yeah i heard it might not work on the combo, it def works on the head (See above)

it looks alot better without the wings, but im unsure if painting over them is the best option. might turn out bad

Well I would spraypaint the metal plate and envision it looking like this after I replace the plastic knobs with chrome because the Valveking looks so bland.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Bandit-112-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481332
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by Lynchworm at Dec 30, 2007,
that actually looks pretty good, im jsut not a fan of painting myself... prolyl coz id do a bad job :P
Quote by ozzy578

Quote by amadeus_who
that actually looks pretty good, im jsut not a fan of painting myself... prolyl coz id do a bad job :P

I know what you are sayin though. You only get one chance although with paint that isn't necessarily true. We'll have to see when i actually get the amp in my hands if I actually want to paint that metal strip or not but i definately want to replace the plastic knobs with chrome knobs and change the color of the red jewell light to blue. I forgot, I might want to swap the speaker as well. For some reason I do like the way the plastic knobs look on the head (yours looks killer without the wings.)
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Vet454Stang427
Well I just took out the tubes, and speaker in my Valveking 112. I'm going to go ahead and order new tubes and a speaker. My question is . . . Do I have to put the shields/covers back on (I hated unscrewing the tiny screws that held them on) and the power tube cage? Or can I just leave them hanging freely without the covers or cage? Thanks!

you can leave them dangling but i wouldt as they'd be quite exposed
wow...ive really took the VK's distortion channel for granted. with a tube screamer for extra gain, this thing can really chug. i just compared it with my distortion pedal and it the lead channel on the VK is really thick and does the job for stuff like killswitch and as i lay dying.
but my only problem with the lead is that it can be a bit noisy and a bit muddy at times though.

i want new tubes to make my distortion channel sound better. anyone have any suggestion?
also im planning on getting a speaker from the speakerwarehouse.com or whatever that is since its only 40 bucks
Quote by sg622
wow...ive really took the VK's distortion channel for granted. with a tube screamer for extra gain, this thing can really chug. i just compared it with my distortion pedal and it the lead channel on the VK is really thick and does the job for stuff like killswitch and as i lay dying.
but my only problem with the lead is that it can be a bit noisy and a bit muddy at times though.

i want new tubes to make my distortion channel sound better. anyone have any suggestion?
also im planning on getting a speaker from the speakerwarehouse.com or whatever that is since its only 40 bucks

I went with some JJ Power tubes and they cleared it up big time. My new speaker gets here in a day or two so I will let you know how it sounds. (before break in of course)
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
jj 6l6 eh? is there something specific or is that the exact thing i should get?

edit: also i think i made my distortion pedal obsolete. the lead channel is really awsome. i cant seem to stress this enough. i guess i just hadnt played through it enough to really make a solid opinion about it.