Page 3 of 37
Quote by sg622
jj 6l6 eh? is there something specific or is that the exact thing i should get?

edit: also i think i made my distortion pedal obsolete. the lead channel is really awsome. i cant seem to stress this enough. i guess i just hadnt played through it enough to really make a solid opinion about it.

Well, I would get a matched set from www.tubedepot.com (great website) Just let them you know you have the Valveking. They gave me a tube bias # of 16
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
gotcha. i am a bit on the poor side right now with bills needed to be paying and all so i cant get tubes and a speaker so which would be more of a "taking off a blanket off my amp" effect, a speaker or a tube swap?
Well I'll let you know when I get the speaker but the tubes helped. The speaker I bought was 40.00 and the JJ's were 29.00 with Fedex express shipping for 3.99. Also people say that Tung sol preamp tubes are great. That will be my next and probably final mod for thia amp. Here's what mine looks like after a few little mods.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by sg622
that is sick. once you get that speaker give me a heads up!

Thanks, Don't know why but the wings bothered me and I wanted chrome knobs.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Vet454Stang427
What speaker did you get?

BTW has anyone heard anything about the TAD 6L6GC-STR tubes?? I heard they're more of a beefed up version of JJ's. Thanks

Well, I know everybody will reccomend Celestion and Eminence but I actually ordered the Jensen Mod 50 watt speaker. I put one of their 8" speakers in my solid state 15 watt crate and it turned the clean channel to gold. They are supposed to have a little bit of a british flavor on the distortion side and fendery cleans. I liked the first one I bought so I figured I would try another for only 35.00. I also read some positive reviews on harmony central for this model. I will let everyone know how it sounds when I get it.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Anyone a little dissapointed with the reverb on this amp?
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Vet454Stang427
It's just "alright" nothing great, nothing really bad. I thought about disconnecting it for a while. I read somewhere about how the reverb unit can actually affect different types of fx you may have in the loop (or something of that nature) ? . . . has anyone else heard of this?

i get noise when something is connected to the loop. nothing totally horrible though.
I was also wondering if getting a different reverb tank would help? Like something found in a blues deluxe or something. Otherwise I may get the Line 6 Verbzilla.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
What are the best tubes and speaker to put in my 112?

I play a variety of music, from alternative rock to metal/metalcore.
I am thinking of buying a VK 100 head. How do you tihnk it would sound with a Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12 cab? or would it be better with a Marshall 1965A?
Jackson DK2M

Mesa Single Rectifier Half Stack

Boss GT-8

Line 6 Uber Metal

Dunlop 535Q Crybaby

Peavey Rage 158
Sup guys, im quoting this from my other thread cause i need replies fast
thinking of buying a valveking 112 so here it does:
So basically, I have a schecter hellraiser avenger and i am still using my crappy fender frontman 15g amp that came with my strat pack a while back. Im upgrading amps and im about to choose the Peavey Valveking 112, an all-tube amp. But im wondering if this is too big of an upgrade, cause if it is i was wondering to get a Vox Valvetronix AD-XL. Wit my amp right now, the EMG's on my schecter doesn't sound much different than my squire strat. so, what should i do? Just get the ValveKing?
Thanks btw

Well, all the reviews ive seen for it are from people who play classical, blues, country, etc.... And I play all rock and metal. Is that Valveking good for this kind of music?
Thanks guys
What kind of replacement speakers are good with the Valveking??

this is for a wide range of music styles.... jazz..... blues.... alternative.....metal
Quote by xXa7Xx
Sup guys, im quoting this from my other thread cause i need replies fast
thinking of buying a valveking 112 so here it does:
So basically, I have a schecter hellraiser avenger and i am still using my crappy fender frontman 15g amp that came with my strat pack a while back. Im upgrading amps and im about to choose the Peavey Valveking 112, an all-tube amp. But im wondering if this is too big of an upgrade, cause if it is i was wondering to get a Vox Valvetronix AD-XL. Wit my amp right now, the EMG's on my schecter doesn't sound much different than my squire strat. so, what should i do? Just get the ValveKing?
Thanks btw

Well, all the reviews ive seen for it are from people who play classical, blues, country, etc.... And I play all rock and metal. Is that Valveking good for this kind of music?
Thanks guys

I think the Valveking is great for metal and hard rock. That is what i play and some blues. The clean channel is very good imo. I would go for it. I got mine on ebay almost brand new with a footswitch for $320.00. I am happy but I also made a few upgrades. It is a decent amp that is versatile.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Well I dropped the 12"Jensen Mod Speaker into the Valveking tonight. It definately cleaned up the muddiness in the distortion channel(non boost) After I put the JJ's in the VK the boost channel was no longer muddy so this speaker mostly affected the distortion channel. This speaker is very clear! Note definition is definately there but is a little trebly at the moment. I imagine the speaker needs time to break in. I'll play it as much as I can and let you all know if it warms up.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
@Lynchworm and Vet454Stang427

can u guys put some sound samples so we can hear what the amp sounds like with the modds ?
i have the 112 ( as it came) and a Epi LP Standard with stock pickups and i hate the muddyness on the lead chanell..

Cheers
given that I play mostly hard rock/metal, and mainly only in my room, do you guys think it would be better to get a VK 112 and change the speaker to something like an eminence red ryder, and possibly change the pre-amp tubes, or get a randall rg50tc with a different speaker, or play a peavey classic 30 with my boss ml-2? I was actually quite impressed by the VK clean channel when I tried it out, but the distortion was a little flat
Im planning on doing some upgrades to my VK112.

I play mostly metalcore/hardcore and also some alternative rock and hard rock.

Tubes: I plan on replacing them all, so which should I go with? I've been recommended Tung-sol 12AX7s and JJ 6L6s. I am also under the impression that I do not need to adjust bias because the VK does not have an adjustable bias. True?

Speaker: I am totally lost in this aspect. I've heard Red Ryder (which is extremely hard to find. Discontinued? :S), Celestion V30s and others. I also found a website www.warehousespeakers.com which sells copies of the Celestion line for a much cheaper price. Any feedback on this?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it
The V30 sounds great in my VK. So do JJ power tubes.

Does anybody ahve any recommendations for preamp tubes? I play stuff like Pantera, COB, Opeth, Metallica, Candlemass, along with some classic rock and maybe eventually blues.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Kiddd

can u guys put some sound samples so we can hear what the amp sounds like with the modds ?
i have the 112 ( as it came) and a Epi LP Standard with stock pickups and i hate the muddyness on the lead chanell..

Cheers

Unfortunetely I have no way of recording at the moment Besides, it might not sound too great right now because i'm attempting to break the speaker in which sucks cause it has too much high end. I actually miss the stock speaker and it's baas. I can't wait until this one is broken in.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Vet454Stang427
It's just "alright" nothing great, nothing really bad. I thought about disconnecting it for a while. I read somewhere about how the reverb unit can actually affect different types of fx you may have in the loop (or something of that nature) ? . . . has anyone else heard of this?

What did you hear? Does it affect the fx if the reverb is disconnected ?
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Could this amp handle deathmetal or 80's stuff. Could it do those with a overdrive pedal or EQ of some sorts.
Quote by jake911
Could this amp handle deathmetal or 80's stuff. Could it do those with a overdrive pedal or EQ of some sorts.

playing mine at the moment I'd say the voicing isnt really suitable
So should I get the speaker from warehouse speakers or would the real celestions be better? Red Ryder thoughts?

Also, what about the fixed bias. Is this true?
^ I'm thinking of putting an Eminence Governor in mine.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by jake911

Not sure about death metal, you would need a pedal for that but maybe just an overdrive and a noise gate. Without the pedal, it can definately handle 80's hard rock/metal. Just my opinion but I think the boost channel was meant for that type of sound.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
hey!
I'm thinking of buying a Valve King...
but I can't decide beetwen the 112 and 212.
what's the difference anyway?
just in speaker and wattage or in anything else?
I need it for practice/band practice and small and small/medium gigs.
please help me.
Thanks for you help.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
^^^ The 212 has a few extra features and some say it sounds better.

If you absoultely have to get a VK, I wouldn't waste the extra money on the 212, it's way too loud for anyone's needs unless your gigging stadiums.
Thats cool guys, im go try it out today.
Last edited by jake911 at Jan 20, 2008,
Does anybody know about the preamp tube swap to get a better, heavier metal tone?
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
I was considering this amp, but some people say it sucks in a band situation, is this true?
Quote by jake911
I was considering this amp, but some people say it sucks in a band situation, is this true?

the distortion is a bit bassy so it doesnt seem as loud as it should be but if you play with the eq a bit boost it with a pedal it can undoubltly cut through.
hello all, i was wondering what would do more good to get rid of the harshness on the distortion channel, changing the speaker or the tubes?
im seriously considering buying a valveking. i played on the 212 at a music store the other day and i thought it was pretty mint. but im wondering if its too powerful, im only gonna be practising with my band and playin maybe a few small gigs.

i have the money for the 212 but im wondering if the 112 might be better for my needs? i can always just mic it thru our pa. i also heard that tube amps sound much better when you crank them, and i dont think il ever need to crank the 212...

what do you reckon?
Quote by ridder
im seriously considering buying a valveking. i played on the 212 at a music store the other day and i thought it was pretty mint. but im wondering if its too powerful, im only gonna be practising with my band and playin maybe a few small gigs.

i have the money for the 212 but im wondering if the 112 might be better for my needs? i can always just mic it thru our pa. i also heard that tube amps sound much better when you crank them, and i dont think il ever need to crank the 212...

what do you reckon?

I have the Peavey ValveKing 112 and I just practise with it and it's very loud. I would say plenty for small gigs. It's a little overkill for my needs but I really wanted a tube amp. I do love it though!
well i ended up just fully upgrading to save me from spendin just a little bit more next time i buy. and it sounds mint!
Quote by jake911

I use my VK head to play death metal no problems.

I just use the gain channel with gain boost on - I wouldn't say it's perfect like a modern hi-gain amp, but it certainly has enough distortion.

Would struggle with black metal I would say - not enough gain for that.

I just swapped my (borrowed) Laney 4x12 for an old Laney 2x12, and the difference was huge.

With the 4x12 it was loud and bassy - shaking the room, but when the rest of the band started playing it got lost and didn't cut through.

Now is the opposite - doesn't rattle your teeth (on the same settings that is) but sounds less bassy and cuts through much better - a great improvement.

I know nothing about what speakers are in the cabs, though.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Kiddd

Cheers

Well after a week of playing the Jensen 12" speaker, I sold it. Overall it did provide more clarity but sounded too trebly. I know it is probably because it needed to break in but i have no patience!! I put the stock speaker back in and actually like it but will probably replace it with a hellatone 60(which is a broken in Celestion Vintage 30) I ordered the tung sol tubes today so I am excided to hear those.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey