Page 4 of 37
I just bought a valveking head yesterday. and im loving it.

One problem tho. Word on the valveking footswitch is its a very poorly made plastic thing, and an atrocious price of 40$ or so.... I have used a footswitch from an old marshall head, but there's a lag inbetween hitting the buttons and the valveking switching over to lead.

So. Is anyone out there using a different footswitch that works well with the valveking? Or is the peavey switch designed for it not all that bad?

thanks in advance!
I use the boss Fs-6 With no problems. The A button controls the Channels and the B button controls the Bright/ gain booster. Im looking to change the b button to reverb somehow though
Quote by boonsnic
I just bought a valveking head yesterday. and im loving it.

One problem tho. Word on the valveking footswitch is its a very poorly made plastic thing, and an atrocious price of 40$ or so.... I have used a footswitch from an old marshall head, but there's a lag inbetween hitting the buttons and the valveking switching over to lead.

So. Is anyone out there using a different footswitch that works well with the valveking? Or is the peavey switch designed for it not all that bad?

thanks in advance!

I am using a footswitch called Leem. It works great and there is no delay.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Are tube amps in general supposed to have a little hum (or even a buzz) at low volume levels? Mine has a little something going on and I am not sure if this is normal. Also, one tube has a little more glow to it then the other one. Thanks!
Quote by Scooter_72
Are tube amps in general supposed to have a little hum (or even a buzz) at low volume levels? Mine has a little something going on and I am not sure if this is normal. Also, one tube has a little more glow to it then the other one. Thanks!

Not sure about the tube but my Valveking has the hum you are talking about. I'm gonna get a noisegate.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
as a follow up to my footswitch question. the boss fs-6 seems to only run on batteries, and needs to be unplugged after use or the batteries will run out... so thats out of the question... i could tattoo a reminder on my arm and i still wouldnt remember to unplug it.

the leem, i can only find at questionable looking websites asking at least 40 for it plus 20-25 on shipping, which i dunno about...

any other thoughts from valveking head users on good footswitches to use with the VK100 ?
Last edited by boonsnic at Jan 25, 2008,
tie ur cable round ur le then itll unplug itself wen u walk away
or make you fall on stage

after reading bout 7 pages of VK praise id like to hear if anyones got anything bad to say about it:
any styles of music it just cant handle?
any common breakages?
any noise etc?

im seriously lookin at buyin the 112 for $400 of musiciansfriend.com but want to know how good it really is cuz i wont b able to try anythin first as the shops near me r crap.

also hows it comapare to the windsor, randall rgg3 series or laney lv???
anything on this would be a huge help.
Quote by boonsnic
as a follow up to my footswitch question. the boss fs-6 seems to only run on batteries, and needs to be unplugged after use or the batteries will run out... so thats out of the question... i could tattoo a reminder on my arm and i still wouldnt remember to unplug it.

the leem, i can only find at questionable looking websites asking at least 40 for it plus 20-25 on shipping, which i dunno about...

any other thoughts from valveking head users on good footswitches to use with the VK100 ?

www.voodoomanswitches.com

Still needs batteries but I like thier style over the Boss ones.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by fleh

after reading bout 7 pages of VK praise id like to hear if anyones got anything bad to say about it:
any common breakages?
any noise etc?

im seriously lookin at buyin the 112 for $400 of musiciansfriend.com but want to know how good it really is cuz i wont b able to try anythin first as the shops near me r crap.

I can't say much regarding the Randall or the Laney as I haven't had a chance to try it, but as far as the Windsor...

I got the Valveking Head over the Windsor because the Valveking had better cleans, and a switchable two channels over the Windsor's one. The Windsor I tested also seemed to have a little bit more hum to it.

Noisewise, mine's pretty quiet with the noise level going up as the gain does. Pretty normal for pretty much any amp I've looked at. Noise level wasn't much more or much less than others I've tried. Muddiness is usually cleared up with a new or different set of speakers, or just allowing the speakers to break in. Tube changes can help too.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I need some VK help. I just sold my 5150 head, still got the cab. I demo'd a vk 112 yesterday and i liked it quite a bit. I was thinking about getting the vk head. Is the head "Better" in any way, shape, or form. I mean its not the most expensive head, but all ive heard is good things.

thanks.
Quote by jimmy666page666
I need some VK help. I just sold my 5150 head, still got the cab. I demo'd a vk 112 yesterday and i liked it quite a bit. I was thinking about getting the vk head. Is the head "Better" in any way, shape, or form. I mean its not the most expensive head, but all ive heard is good things.

thanks.

I tested the head with the stock cab...on 1 it was more clear and full than the 112 on 4.

I have my own issues, when I hook up my Bad Monkey to the drive channel for br00talz it squeals like a mofo especially I do stuff on the high frets on the G-E strings, whenever I'm using the gain channel by itself it sounds like a dying cat on high notes (but not when I use the BM over the clean channel or the dirty channel even though it still squeals on the dirty and I get slight hum over the clean). So if I may...WTF MATE!?
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Jan 25, 2008,
Quote by sg622
its your tubes.

Even considering the problems with the BM?? The higher note stuff without the BM I was talking about sounds like there isn't enough treble, even with the knob maxed, to push it out. I don't have this problem with the BM.
if it squeals without the pedal it your tubes. also check your power source for the BM it could be your batteries. as for the dying cat sounds, make sure its not the guitar cus i fyou returnt it it would be a hassle and you would have to fix your guitar also. and also make sure youre not sitting directly next to your amp when playing.
Quote by pmeg568c
um, why not an ONLY MG thread. the valveking is not really discussed that much. only within threads

there's actually not much to discuss about MG's,,, we all know they suck xD
i have my amp in the same room as my computer and that causes a lot of interference, but when i turn off the screen its sweet as...
I love my Valveking. It has a really nice tone to it and has just enough gain for the metal stuff i play. Not enough for the insanely heavy stuff like what was mentioned before but that can be acomplished with a pedal.

Best aspect is I can switch from Metal to clean to blues in seconds. Its one of the most versatile amps i've played on.

Only issue is a noisegate is a must. This thing makes alot of racket once you get into the high gain settings.
Quote by sam i am
I'll get some sounclips up sometime soon.... for those who want them

Lol I quoted myself.

Wel here they are:

Recorded with a Beyerdynamic Mic.

No additional processing used EXCEPT on the OD clips becasue they sound really trebly when you record, but you would only hear that if you went and stuck your ear right up to the speaker. I used an EQ to roll of some of the high frequencies so it sounds closer to how it did in the room.

Please excuse my playing especially when I was trying to do the heavy stuff. I was just improvising those riffs.

Some of the OD clips sound bad, whereas they actually sounded good in the room.

The "texture test" is me playing a riff 3 times, first in Class A, then putting the texture knob halfway so it's a combination of A and A/B and then all the across to A/B.

Enjoy http://www.mediafire.com/?3yswg1vjtbj
Nice clips Sam. I thought they sounded pretty good.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by fleh

any common breakages?
any noise etc?

1. Can handle most things, With a pedal. Thrash Metal/Heavy Metal is the highest gain I can get from the box. ( Use a pedal for higher gains, maybe backed up with OD or something).

2. Nope.

3.Nope.

4. Get it.

5. Profit?

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Last edited by Guitar_Dan_666 at Jan 27, 2008,
I'm saving up for a new amp and the valveking 112 is winning the battle at the moment.

Just wondering if any one has any experience that can help answer a couple of queries about gigging it:

1. What's it like if you connect it to a cab using the external speaker option?

2. Would there be any need to ever do that, or is it plenty loud enough to cut through a band, another guitarist (using a marshall mg or avt)?
you must get this all the time but,

how does the VK match up to stuff like a 5150/mesas

played a 5150 today and im going back tomorrow....to remove my face from the shop floor

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
K so there have been like 1000000000000000000 threads about the valveking so im going to do the right thing and bump this mofo
ive totally neglected this thread, whats the news, whats the scuttlebutt

ps this is a bumpizzle, and announcement of my triumphant return
Quote by ozzy578
amadeus, calm the **** down.

MIA STRAT - [50TH ANNIVERSARY] ****SOON TO HAVE COOLRAILS

PEAVEY VALVEKING 100WATT HALF STACK [KILLER]
So I ordered 2 Hellatone 60L speakers (broken in Vintage 30's with a different voice coil) off of Ebay and they arrived today I open them up and realize that they are the Hellatone 60's, not the Hellatone 60L's Now the Hellatone 60 is a good speaker but that is not specifically what I ordered. So I put the Hellatone 60 in the Valveking and I like the stock speaker better I'm not sure if it is because it is not fully broken in (15 hours of time from the factory) but the distortion just doesn't sound that good. I have owned this speaker in another peavey amp before and it sounded pretty good. So I'm gonna see if I can return them but I will probably sell one of them if not both. Sigh....
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I've been wondering about the 112 Valveking...so, why does it say (on Musiciansfriend) that the 112 has the option to change the ohms output...when in the pdf manual, it says that the 212 and the head only have that feature?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

also, is there a good way to record w/ this amp? It only has a external speaker out...not a line/headphone.
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 9, 2008,
Hey, was wondering what would be the best speakers for the valveking 212 in a speaker swap, i was looking at eminence man o war's or texas heat. I primarily play post-punk 90's alt-rock, something like foo fighters sounding.
I also was looking at the Texas Heat.

Go to the Eminence website they have sound clips of all the speakers
I just bought the Celestion G12T-100. I previously tried a Jensen mod and a vintage 30 (hellatone) and didn't really like them. The Vintage 30 changed the character of the amp by adding too much mids. I was looking for a speaker to clear up the overdrive channel. I will let you all know when I try it out.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
With an Ibanez RG2570e, how would this amp compare to a 5150 II for metalcore/metal/solos?

The 5150 II is definitely more expensive, but by the time this amp is modded with all the different tubes/speakers, wont it come close to the cost of the 5150 II?

With my fender SS now and the digitech distortion factory pedal, I can get a nice jazzy tone or even a power ballad from the 80s tone.

Hmm... I was considering the VK but I dont wanna 'settle' for an amp, since this is usually called a budget amp.
also one last thing to me it kinda sounds like my amp is losing its tone, sounds kinda flat, it was brand new when i got it but i was wondering if it is the tubes goin out, the tubes light up in a blue color but they also have black spots around the tube in different places some medium some small but not really engulfin the whole tube though, could this be maybe signs of tube failure?
It probably is. I reccomend JJ 6L6GC power tubes and Tung-Sol 12AX7 preamp tubes.
how old is it?
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Theres a 212 combo valveking at my local music store...

Is a popping/crackling sound normal when starting the amp? I guess the tubes just hadnt been warmed up enough yet?
And also; the 2 inputs; they didnt seem much different to me. "Two" seemed quieter, maybe? I was thinking it was for passive/active, or maybe even low/high gain.

The knob on the back was on A/B. (If the amp is quiet, that doesnt burn out the tubes faster if you play on A/B as compared to low powered A, right?)

And finally... This amp sounded decent on low volumes (but the gain had to be all the way up) for metalcore and death metal; even then, i guess the death metal tone wasnt mind blowing.
I guess pedals come into play? on this tube amp...
it doesnt have enough gain for death metal or metal even. itll need a tubescreamer to tighten things up on the lead channel which sounds great with the ts. the amp crackles when its completely brand new in the box but goes away after a few minutes.
The 2nd input is for active pickups. its like 10 db lower.