Page 5 of 37
Quote by sg622
it doesnt have enough gain for death metal or metal even. itll need a tubescreamer to tighten things up on the lead channel which sounds great with the ts. the amp crackles when its completely brand new in the box but goes away after a few minutes.
The 2nd input is for active pickups. its like 10 db lower.

I mean from what i see on youtube though it does metal pretty well.

But in the shop it crackles; and when ive played the diminished riffs and stuff on it, it didnt sound booming. maybe its the volume i had it to. or something.

and the gain was cranked.
yea at low volumes its doesnt sound that great IMO (the lead channel). you have to get the vol knob at like 3-4 to start sound good.
and the bass is a little flubby without a tubescreamer. i take back that it cant do metal. just doesnt sound too good without a tubescreamer.
Basically:

I could go with a 5150 II; expensive, never tried, but would be great for me. I wouldnt have to max the gain.

Valveking; tried, sounds decent. Cheapest. Requires pedals/speaker upgrade/tube upgrade. By the time i do this i couldve bought another amp. Will the cleans still suffice?!

XXX: tried, liked in the music shop. But people say its too 'bright' for when i need that deep metalcore boom/power. Also, in the more expensive range.

OR something else.
Last edited by Aus-10 at Feb 14, 2008,
On the valveking i wound't say a tube upgrade is needed, but a speaker and pedal is going to be needed for death metal. So your looking at about 200 bucks extra. But take into most everyone has a OD pedal in there arsenal and even use it on the GOD OF GAIN 5150 lol to tighten up the low end. So i woudlnt count that in your list as i have to have it just because im buying this amp. And on the to the speaker, sure its not the best but you can get a used or decent speaker for $40-100 bucks. And you have yourself a new amp, warranty and it sounds pretty brutal with the pedal and speaker. Vs a used 6505 your going to have to probally replace the tubes on or more if something decides to break on you being its used. Now im all for used but there are alot of horror stories out there and even buying the 6505 used its still pretty pricey before the tube change it might need....
$40 for a new tubescreamer...

Hmm, what about that sonic maximizer + 5150 combo?

Or could i add it to a valveking, though it'd definitely be more expensive?

A 5150 II is harder to find, anyway. Discontinued, mark II and all.
if you want nice cleans id say get the valveking. and for a new tubescreamer itd be more like 100 bucks. 40 if its used i guess. the 5150 will be great for metal but the cleans are w/e. it really does depend on preference at this point. if you can try out a 5150 that would help. im all for the vk+tubescreamer+speaker change though.
New Bad monkey 40-50 U.S. .It's a great overdrive pedal and new speaker for Valveking not that much in my opinion.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS7-Tubescreamer-Pedal?sku=150286

Would that be good enough?

Idk, it seems like after all these upgrades for a VK i could just buy another better amp. And it still doesnt change the fact that the VK is korean-made.

It does suck having to turn up the gain all the way for a metal tone, but i guess thats what an OD pedal is for; even though I could be getting another better amp with more gain in the first place.

By the way; the cleans on the 212; do they have a lot of headroom or do they dirty quickly when at loud volumes?
K, Ive got the 212 and it keeps breaking so im going to return it. As much as I like it I'm sick of throwing out the money non stop to repair it. I need a new amp now that can give me that good ol classic rock sound. My music has big ted nugent and ac/dc influences as well as a bit of black sabbath. I was thinking of going over to marshall unless there is some other peavey that wont make me want to smash my face into a wall and break everytime Im recording.
I just dropped the Celestion g12T-100 into my Valveking 112 and I love it!!! It was exactly what I wanted. It has a very tight low end with AMAZING HARMONICS! It is a very clear speaker and does not have overpowering mids. I like mids but I prefer to dial them in on the amp. Anyway, if anyone is looking for a clear speaker with a hint of grit and the qualities i mentioned above, try it out. I got mine for 67.00 shipped @avatarspeakers.com
Keep in mind that this is after trying the Vintage 30 and a Jensen Mod speaker. This speaker is not broken in yet either. Anyway, just thought I would share that.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
so the celestion cleared up the lead channel then? id like to know how it sounds after it breaks in if its still good then im gonna most likely buy that speaker then instead of the man o wars, i just want a speaker thatll clear up the amp
does anyone have schematics for a footswitch for the 112 or what i can use besides the peavey footswitch?
U 2

Founder of the... "U2 is the best band in the world Club" ...PM me to join
Quote by pmeg568c
i agree, that the vintage drive/classic rocks sounds arent so great stock on this amp, but a nice pedal will fix that.

ok so i just got my new avatar 2x12 in the mail with vintage 30s

results: (besides it being incredibly red and black and sexy)

the clean channel is MUCH nicer. i wasn't expecting too much of a difference in this area, but i was very impressed. It remains bright but it just has a much nicer sound, i cant really describe it though. the distortion channel was AWESOME for chugs and palm mutes, this set up would be awesome for a rhythm guitarist. the lead channel was better, but it wasn't too noticeable. im expecting a better increase in the tone when i break in the speakers.

all in all im very happy with the new cab. definetly gives this amp new life. maybe ill upload a pic or something

also, kaosslayer, go here

www.avatarspeakers.com

It really makes THAT much difference to change the speakers? (I have a 112 combo)

Quote by THECLASHROCK1
does anyone have schematics for a footswitch for the 112 or what i can use besides the peavey footswitch?

BOSS FS-6
Quote by Aus-10
Basically:

I could go with a 5150 II; expensive, never tried, but would be great for me. I wouldnt have to max the gain.

You wouldn't have any clean tone either.

Valveking; tried, sounds decent. Cheapest. Requires pedals/speaker upgrade/tube upgrade. By the time i do this i couldve bought another amp. Will the cleans still suffice?!

The cleans are better than a 5150...

XXX: tried, liked in the music shop. But people say its too 'bright' for when i need that deep metalcore boom/power. Also, in the more expensive range.

Haven't tried, no opinion.

OR something else.

Answers in the quote.
Quote by yocomobebes
so the celestion cleared up the lead channel then? id like to know how it sounds after it breaks in if its still good then im gonna most likely buy that speaker then instead of the man o wars, i just want a speaker thatll clear up the amp

Yes, for the moment I have reached a point where the settings sound good on both the overdrive and boost channels. I do use a bad monkey just to liven it up a bit but it still sounds good without it. With the valveking speaker i was having trouble getting pinch harmonics and i thought I was losing my touch or something. This speaker improves harmonics and gives a tight low end. I will post when it breaks in.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
alright thanks, ya im split between the man o wars and the celestion right now after researching the celestion
I'm up for a tube change and a speaker change in my VK...I'm not too sure about tubes right now but for a speaker I'm thinking a Celestion Greenback, V30, or an Eminence Man o War.

Any input on this?
Quote by yocomobebes
alright thanks, ya im split between the man o wars and the celestion right now after researching the celestion

I know what you are saying, It is tough picking a speaker. I was looking at eminence but they took some of their sound samples off of their website. They were all there a couple weeks ago? The only reason I gave the celestion 100 watt a chance was because Dave @ avatar had recomended it to me for another amp I had and I just finally decided to give it a shot after trying the Jensen and Vintage 30.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
my valvekings starting to sound very muddy on the gain channel. Palm mutes are especially bad. I retubed recently. Didnt bias though, if I was biased to hot do you think that's what'd cause the bad sound ?
Quote by yocomobebes
hm? strange i was on eminence today and they had all their sound bytes up

The website has all the speakers listed but when I went to look for sound bytes of these 12" speakers, they are no longer there

The wizard
The tonespotter
Private jack
Man o war
The Governor
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Hi!
I tried a Valveking Head this week in a shop, because I had heard a few things about and it was really cheap for a tube amp. I was impressed! I didn't expect that much distortion. :p
But I didn't try it for long, there was a Marshall JVM right next to it.

I have 3 questions:
Is it worth to get a Valveking? I have a Peavey Bandit now and I'm very satisfied, but I have no experience with tube-amps... :/
For recording (in a few weeks) I am going to use an Engl Fireball, so that's not a problem. ^^

And what's "cranking" an amp? oO I guess it's turning it up, but how far? 10/10? xD

One last question: what's the difference between the 212 and the head?
Of course I mean the features and sound and stuff...
Why do people get a half stack for about 750€ (or more if they get a better cab) if they can get a 212 combo for 500€ which can do the same things?
If there is no difference I would save that 250€ and get a big heavy combo. ^^"

Thanks in advance!
Quote by Jokaaa
Hi!
I tried a Valveking Head this week in a shop, because I had heard a few things about and it was really cheap for a tube amp. I was impressed! I didn't expect that much distortion. :p
But I didn't try it for long, there was a Marshall JVM right next to it.

I have 3 questions:
Is it worth to get a Valveking? I have a Peavey Bandit now and I'm very satisfied, but I have no experience with tube-amps... :/
For recording (in a few weeks) I am going to use an Engl Fireball, so that's not a problem. ^^

And what's "cranking" an amp? oO I guess it's turning it up, but how far? 10/10? xD

One last question: what's the difference between the 212 and the head?
Of course I mean the features and sound and stuff...
Why do people get a half stack for about 750€ (or more if they get a better cab) if they can get a 212 combo for 500€ which can do the same things?
If there is no difference I would save that 250€ and get a big heavy combo. ^^"

Thanks in advance!

people buy half stacks instead of big combos just cause they look badass xD ... stacks are more expensive just cause they are stacks.... id rather spend money on a great combo than a not so great stack or head
Quote by DashBlaster
Looking to maybe buy the Valveking 112 or 212. How suited is it for metal, like Metallica and Megadeth stuff? How suited is it for blues?

It's perfect for what you're looking for.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Answers in the quote.

Id always heard that a 5150 II had better cleans due to the separate EQ.

The valveking just seems to not have a high amount of gain; maybe id have to add a bad monkey or something before it, like i may if i had a 5150 II...?

I could always consider bugera once i find out how well they are made.
once you put a od in front of, it becomes a really versitile piece of magic.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Anyone use a Bad Monkey infront of it? How does it work for tightening up gain?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by Aus-10
Id always heard that a 5150 II had better cleans due to the separate EQ.

The valveking just seems to not have a high amount of gain; maybe id have to add a bad monkey or something before it, like i may if i had a 5150 II...?

I could always consider bugera once i find out how well they are made.

Well, my philosophy is that you can fix the distortion channel with pedals, but if you have bad cleans you're basically screwed (unless you don't use them ofc).
Quote by mike.h
Anyone use a Bad Monkey infront of it? How does it work for tightening up gain?

I leave the bad monkey on all the time. Except on the clean channel (which it can be used on with good results) I think it adds something (besides overdrive to the sound) In fact, I don't use my eq anymore when I use this pedal.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by mike.h
Lynch, would the ValveKing + Bad Monkey be able to pull off the kind of distortion below?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO9kGDNyQkw

Yes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There is your answer
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ok, time for another VK112 user to post my 2 cents:

This is my 3rd VK112. If i could find a better quality amp for the price i would, but 50 watts tube that will shake down my garage is hard to find for $350. I keep blaming UPS on the amp messing up, but i'm starting to think its just a cheap amp. I love it none the less and its 5 yr warranty.

I love the crunchy distortion i get, but I wanted to get a deeper palm muted chuggy sound without overpowering the stock speaker. So, does that mean i need an upgrade? When i crank the gain and start chugging at about half volume, the speaker makes a *Flub* sound and just craps out on me. It's like my palm mutes are killing the amp. I love low end bassy chugs on dropped tune guitars.

So, when i get some extra cash to blow i'm going to see how retubing effects it like everyone says it does and i guess replace the speaker with a texas heat to see if that brings up the bottom end *flub*
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yes.

O RLY O: thanks to you now i wont spend 150$ on a ibanez tubescreamer xD i gotta try the bad monkey!!
I'm thinking about buying the 112 VK, and using it with my DF-7, for metal, but I don't know how it will sound, so can anyone tell me if that is a good idea or not? I might get a new pedal if I get enough money to buy a VK and I could use some suggestions for what I should get. I play metal, blues, and pschodelic stuff; what do you guys think I should get?

Oh and I have tested out the VK when I got my SG back after I changed the pickups, and it's clean channel sounded amazing, and its distortion sounded pretty good but I'm unsure because I was playing really quietly.
Last edited by G-man05 at Mar 5, 2008,
Quote by G-man05
I'm thinking about buying the 112 VK, and using it with my DF-7, for metal, but I don't know how it will sound, so can anyone tell me if that is a good idea or not? I might get a new pedal if I get enough money to buy a VK and I could use some suggestions for what I should get. I play metal, blues, and pschodelic stuff; what do you guys think I should get?

Oh and I have tested out the VK when I got my SG back after I changed the pickups, and it's clean channel sounded amazing, and its distortion sounded pretty good but I'm unsure because I was playing really quietly.

The VK can do metal with out pedal's for hard stuff a OD is needed. Running a pedal is kind of shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to using a tube amp. Push in the volume and boost button and use the high gain input then crank it up...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The VK can do metal with out pedal's for hard stuff a OD is needed. Running a pedal is kind of shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to using a tube amp. Push in the volume and boost button and use the high gain input then crank it up...

Alright thanks alot; what OD pedal would you reccomend?
Quote by G-man05
Alright thanks alot; what OD pedal would you reccomend?

If your looking to go cheap get the Digitech Bad Monkey. But i recommend the Ibanez Tubescreamer, modified if you can get a hold of one or do it yourself. But un modified works just as good just spices things up a bit if its modded.