Page 2 of 3
If you're in the UK or you use a UK proxy then you can watch their performance of Machine Gun on Jools Holland here.

Edit: changed link because it's not up there yet...give it a day
I saw that last night, I hate to say it but that was the most annoying drum sound I've ever heard in my life...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I read in an interview about Portishead that they hated that they were called "the definers of Trip-Hop"

it was in beat magazine.

I bought third today from jb hi fi.
used my discount got $5 off.
My mum got it yesterday, haven't had a chance to listen to it properly yet but that lead off single is so bad. Boom boom badabadabadabada. At least its not the first track on the album - although that might have made it easier to skip - so the album isn't terrible from the start.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I really like the new album although it's difficult not to compare it to Dummy's awesomeness. Nylon smile is probably my favourite track at the minute, but there are a few more that are really growing on me.
Yeah it does sound like a grower as a whole album. Can't say I'm convinced by a lot of it after a couple of listens.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Silence, Small, The Rip are all great songs. About Machine Gun, the vocals in it are beautiful. But those drums are so... boring/repetitive/irritating.

When I listened MG for the first time I was thinking: ''They can't keep THAT drumbeat for the WHOLE song!''.

Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I love silence. It was fantastic, and they just cut it! That frustrated me a bit.
^Silence is so cool!

I love that song, but I HATE HATE HATE Beth's vocals. I love the music but her vocals are just atonal, out of place, and awful sounding. Its like nails on a chalkboard.

I hated how in Silence, theres this whole groove going with everything and her voice just shatters everything and sounds like ****. Its disgusting.

Aside from awful vocals, I LOVE the instruments on that album
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Really? I thought she was great!

Granted, I have a bit of a crush on her, but I thought it sounded fine.

Also, great performance of glory box found here
Quote by smb
How can anyone hate Beth's vocals? That's like hating sunlight or happiness

very true.
I got Third awhile back but haven't listened to it much until recently, and it's grown on me a ton.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I dont know...theyre just annoying sounding...I would have rather had an instrumental song or if they had a male vocoder voice.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
I dont know...theyre just annoying sounding...I would have rather had an instrumental song or if they had a male vocoder voice.

*gasp!* What? Did you see that video I posted before? How is that annoying?

Unless you're getting the words 'perfect' and 'annoying' mixed up?
^I guess I mean more on the new album. I like the vocals in that song and a lot of their older stuff, but in their newer stuff...it just sounds too....I dont know...out of place.
Quote by tarlkea
How can you possibly not like those vocals?
it fits the mood perfectly.

Listening to their live performance from Coachella.
the sound quality is excellent.
Yeah they're far too good. I'd like to make similar music but I know I'd never be anything like the quality of their stuff.
They're really good at creating atmospheres....
Especially in Dummy.

They were given about £300k by their label to make Dummy. Instead of running to a producer and spending money on expensive studios, they bought all the synths n recording equipment with the money and recorded and produced the album themselves.
Created the masterpiece Dummy is!

Glory Box, Sour Times, Roads, Mysterons, Pedestal, It Could be Sweet, my favorite Roads (named after the Fender Rhodes synth they used for the music) and basically the whole album, its awesome!!
How come I've missed this thread before?

Anyway, I love this band. "Dummy" is just absolutely astounding, and "Third" is great, as well. It doesn't strike me the same way Dummy does, but it's still an amazing album.

I need to hear their s/t, as well.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Their second album is my favourite, actually. It's more of an album than Dummy (Dummy just sounds like a load of singles to me) and more jazzy than the others.
^Listen to "Dummy".

Just do it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by flea's trumpet
ive only heard three songs from Third album ... im not impressed

Listen to Dummy.
do yourself a favour.
Quote by fallenangel20
^Listen to "Dummy".

Just do it.

ahh, thanks for the advice ... but i own both Dummy and Portishead and have for many years and i LOVE them both equally. Unfortunately i dont think i will be buying Third at all, I dont think im even gonna download it. The handful of songs that ive heard from that album are really ... well ... they're just annoying.

it upsets me because Beth Gibbons has such a great voice, its a pity the album sucks balls.
How did I manage to miss this?
I have all of their albums, Dummy is still my favorite and I just gave third a second chance. I think it's a grower. I hated it on first listen but there are some truly great moments in it, like the synth solo in machine gun.

I've created a fans group by the way, I'm surprised there wasn't one already. It's in my sig.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
I've created a fans group by the way, I'm surprised there wasn't one already. It's in my sig.
Thanks for the PM spamming
Quote by smb
Thanks for the PM spamming

Spamming? as far as I know I sent 1.
Just did a search and sent invites to people who posted saying they liked the band.

Sorry if I've offended you in some way, I just thought people might like to know a fans group now existed.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Just did a search and sent invites to people who posted saying they liked the band.

Sorry if I've offended you in some way, I just thought people might like to know a fans group now existed.

Ah, so that's how you knew. I've officially joined the group, thanks for the invite Sonny_sam.

On topic, I know many Portishead fans will disagree with me, but Third is my favorite Portishead album. As much as I love Dummy, Third was a huge step forward creatively for them.
Quote by Sonny_sam

i was happy to receive my invitation! thank you
so the big question here!

has anyone bought the Third special edition pack which is worth like $110 (Australian) which includes the cd, double vinyl, dvds, photo presses and a USB?

I really want it!
and i want to know if it's any good.
It's a Portishead USB that has the whole third album on it.
i'm pretty sure you can use it as a normal USB.
Quote by ohhey9040
On topic, I know many Portishead fans will disagree with me, but Third is my favorite Portishead album. As much as I love Dummy, Third was a huge step forward creatively for them.

I much prefer third to self-titled.
I dunno, self-titled just doesn't seem to do it for me to the same extent as dummy or third. The only song from it I'd say I really like is "Mourning air". Maybe I just need to give the album a couple more listens.

Also, that limited edition box looks awesome, I'm considering treating myself to it for christmas.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Thats funny, coz i believe that s/t is their best.

best songs off Dummy are easily
Roads
Glory Box
Its a Fire
Sour Times
Mysterons

Best songs off s/t
Half Day Closing
All Mine
Only You
Over
Mourning Air

actually im not sure if like s/t more or not. I only ever listen to portishead on shuffle so i get REALLY confused which songs are off which album.
They;re both equally good.

Third remains to be EXTREMELY underpar
my band does a cover of glory box

i think dummy is an amazing album from start to finish, i've listened to third a couple times but only as background music so i can't really have a proper opinion of it yet
I own Dummy and Third. I've never actually heard anything off of the eponymous album, but I do like Dummy. Third is about a B- or C+ on the 'Christgau Scale', in my opinion.