classicrocker01
Hit the Lights!!
1,281 IQ
Okay me and a few guys are starting a classic metal (metallica, Ac Dc, ect) and it's me and the lead guitarists first time in a band. We will play gigs. The all but one or two of the others have been in a band before. I'm rhythem guitarist and I don't wanna to be, you know, some dude in the backline with sound coming out of his amp, I wanna be noticed. Me and the lead guitarist are 14, the others are about 16. Any advice for us first timers?
Doodleface
UG Monkey
1,651 IQ
Have fun.

And always make sure you like what you're playing.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
soadguitarfan
74 IQ
Go ****in' crazy on stage. Just don't think, go ****in CRAZY. It's more fun than you'd ever believe. And rhythm guitarists can be cool too, you just have to establish yourself musically. Learn your chords and your scales and mix it up, add your own style.
Don't Panic Ok?
Clive Dunn
279 IQ
Make some interesting rythym parts, come to the first practice with some ideas, have some fun. If it doesn't work out, well alot of bands don't, you'll float on alright.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
stratking91
351 IQ
Learn to play lmao. In fact learn Perpetual Burn by Jason Becker...then we'll talk lol.
AtreyuVT
297 IQ
just play well, and get into it when you play a show. rythym guitar can do some lead stuff too so it wont be boring when you play. as long as you don't just stand there playing and thats it you will be noticed n stuff.
spinalshred
Master Exploder.
1,100 IQ
if you're actually good at playing lead, you and the other guitarist should take turns playing leads. that's what my band does.
Eddie_VH
Dan Tran
1,130 IQ
contribute and make suggestions for the band
show ur serious bout and stuff
My Gear:

Jackson King V KVX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III HD75, Line 6 Spider III 4x12 Cabinet
Marshall MG30DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss BF-3 Flanger
spinalshred
Master Exploder.
1,100 IQ
also, if you have to stick to rhythm, just be the most active person on stage. you'll get noticed.
borntorock2112
a modern day warrior...
263 IQ
Dude im in the same situation as you. Just learn scales and chords and youll be fine.
P-S: Ramones songs make good practice for power chords.
mydogpoops
2,299 IQ
Try and trade on leads, and keep learning/getting better, don't totally focus on the band.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

classicrocker01
Hit the Lights!!
1,281 IQ
thanx guys, I'll have some mp3s up when we record some (if anyones interested)
DarTHie
UG Mulder
580 IQ
Surf a little through Bandleading forums.

You have to be able to play songs you know drunk in complete dark jumping on one feet.
When you can do that, work on some stage presence.

And have fun.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
jimmypage1904
687 IQ
do dual lead guitar bits and harmonized stuff. thats if the bass can keep a good rhythm and you cn harmonize. trade off each others playing live. split songs or covers up i.e one will play the solo on song x and the other the solo on song y and maybe find a song with two solos
linkinwayne
Banned
514 IQ
Work on your songwriting and band co-ordination. Enjoy the experience and you'll mature well as a band player. First bands mostly never last or make it big anyway, so just stay in there and learn whatever you can.
incubator16
72 IQ
when you play shows, dont just stand there, jump, run, kick, scream, do anything

you will look really gay if you just stand there, its not that scary, i thought it would bem and i was wrong
crate gt 200
digitech GNX4
danelectro fab metal
aria les paul w/emg's
ibanez rg 570
fernandes acoustic/electric
homemade tele w/dimarizo PAF classic and seymore duncan pearly gates
Confusius
UG Nerd
3,137 IQ
Quote by StratKing91
Learn to play lmao. In fact learn Perpetual Burn by Jason Becker...then we'll talk lol.

Quote by FoxyGrandpa
**** bitches

If you don't have any proper advice don't waste breathing space with posts like those.

As for TS, just have fun, a band at our age (I'm 15 so we are around the same) won't be as important as one from maybe 18 or 19. It's all about getting experience, having fun and making friends. As for getting attention, stand up for yourself. If you want lead on a song, ask for it and if they disagree, play what you would play etc. If you don't ask you don't get.