fafinaf
895 IQ
a practice where absolutely nothing productive happens?
Dazed/Confused
76 IQ
Most of them, ya
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Guitarist132
sam
1,093 IQ
Tbh no. We had a lotta shows so i always wanted to make sure we were ready, and we were constantly writing
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
funkbass369
UG Senior Member
794 IQ
yeah....it happens
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
thebroken
562 IQ
Yep, that's what all of my bands so far have consisted of!
LeviW
Burn the churches.
51 IQ
Quote by fafinaf
a practice where absolutely nothing productive happens?

That's probably been my last 80 hours of practicing. Worthless nothing that consists of nothing but doodling.
“You know that I don't fucking care if I live or die.”
fafinaf
895 IQ
we are usually very good in there (rehearsal studio) but sometimes we have these nights where were all tired, and we smoke, then we all kinda just jam weird stuff. It makes me feel icky the next day!
Guitar_Dan_666
Dislikes above username
796 IQ
Yeah, all the time man.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
mattyp90
This is not a competition
894 IQ
Not really, we've had sessions where we write a lot less than I'd perhaps like, but we still go through our set a few times, and as a pre-gig band, every time we play anything together it's productive, even if we know it by heart, it's always good to play together - there are always creases to iron out, and new things to learn about the songs and each other.
Maybe that'll change after the 1000th time of going through our oldest song...
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
JS5150
384 IQ
Bomberman on the Gamecube is the reason why my band hasnt happened yet.
SSDDPunkRocker
BRO!
812 IQ
I wouldn't say our down time at practice is "useless". It allows us to bond more as friends, thus creating better stage chemistry.
Gurgle!Argh!
-
1,444 IQ
no. honestly i don't. i mean, we've had practices where we don't make any progression on arranging new material and where we just all play really bad, but i wouldn't say that makes them worthless. i think playing together when you're all off your a-game is a pretty good thing in some ways, because it makes your bad performances better. which is always good.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Ben Wright
Metal Guitarist
326 IQ
Yes. Sometimes we'll have a session where we'll get down 2 more songs in like 2 hours but other times we just won't get anywhere. It happens to all bands sometimes, that is why bands take a lot of time and commitment.

I found that you become more enthusiastic about doing band practice if you start to learn songs that you find brilliant and that the whole band enjoys. That way, practice becomes much more easy-going and fun.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
That't why my last band feel apart
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Strati
Argh
565 IQ
Some practices when someone walks in the room pissed off or in bad mood and completely uninspiried, lazy style....rubs off to everyone else and next thing you know you have stood there for 2 hours having repeated the setlist once and having only heard "no" to every suggestion anyone comes up with.

Most are pretty good though.
Under_The_Oath
Lighthouse Man
297 IQ
Every now and then, for sure.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
dividedsky
22 IQ
Oh yes... unless you're counting Pizza and Jack Black movies as productive
SpiritOfRadio11
248 IQ
Thats pretty much what all of our practicing is untill a week or two before a show
-------------------------------------------------
Rythem Guitar/Singer-Smoke Patterns
www.myspace.com/smokepatterns

Quote by its irrelevant
I think you should go to the Amazon, cut down a tree and make one guitar out of it, then burn the rest.

Spiting Al Gore FTW
HethaHORRIFIC
1,965 IQ
we sometimes have practises. where instead of hoping to write songs or practise our set, we just go there, hoping to enjoy having a jam. we do it for the fun of jamming. not the need to practise.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Yeah, it happens occasionaly when we have a rehearsal and non of us are in the mood to practice our set. We generaly just jam around for a while instead and see what comes out or sit down, have a drink and talk about band business instead.
So it's never really 'un-productive.'
godisasniper
Shh...I'm making noise!
870 IQ
All last year, every single practice I attempted to organize failed. Now, however, my band is just me and my brother, and my parts are all written. All he has to do is write his trumpet part and practice that. And we don't need to organize for weeks to get a practice. I just invite him into my room. That's it. If the practice isn't working, we just stop and try later.
Ænimus Prime
Beginner
116 IQ
^ Just guitar and trumpet? What sort of music do you play?

To answer the thread: Yes
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
CoolDudeMorgasm
1,668 IQ
Eh, we all rock up at about 10 at the drummers house, play like 3 songs, get stumped of what to do, decide to take a break, go back for half an hour and try to write something, fail, take another break, eat lunch, watch tv or play xbox then just chill and surf the internet.

We don't get much done, but hey, were still having fun.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
rhoads4ever
196 IQ
There are some times when we jam through like our set list once, we all look at each other, agree that none of us feel like band practice (due to work, relationship money etc. stress) and we all just hang out and have a Dr. Phil session. a lot of times those turn into a song, so I guess its not that un productive.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Zen5887
Oz-Kid
614 IQ
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Eh, we all rock up at about 10 at the drummers house, play like 3 songs, get stumped of what to do, decide to take a break, go back for half an hour and try to write something, fail, take another break, eat lunch, watch tv or play xbox then just chill and surf the internet.

We don't get much done, but hey, were still having fun.

Holy crap are you in my band?

So yeah..Most of our practices are pretty much useless...

We play the songs that we've played 100s of times before then we sit down to write and we just sit there...
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
v8ko
Drop it and stomp it. Yea
26 IQ
Were experiencing some down time...it just happens sometimes but have a plan and try to stick to it. Making a song is easy (generally) but there has to be some artistic flow happening. During slow practices its tough to write, normally I write all our stuff but Im always trying to get other bandmembers to pitch in.

So the plan for the slow time is a. understanding that yes we are all a bit bored it happens. b. look at some old material if it was good then perhaps it still is. c. work on effects, try and draw more out of a song. d. Its never a bad idea to link songs together (as one song ends it melds with the start of the next) if youve already done this try rearranging them...it might perk things up.

I hate downtime
Paul Lambeth
The post's over there ->
1,806 IQ
Quote by rhoads4ever
There are some times when we jam through like our set list once, we all look at each other, agree that none of us feel like band practice (due to work, relationship money etc. stress) and we all just hang out and have a Dr. Phil session. a lot of times those turn into a song, so I guess its not that un productive.

Sounds like my old band, except "Dr Phil" session was replaced by the guy who's taken it upon him to lead the band showing us a crap song he's written, and making us learn it.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?