Page 1 of 2
FRDesign
Angel of Death
6,377 IQ
The Ultimate Ibanez Edge III Set-Up Guide

I decided that a lot of people have a Mid level Ibanez Trem guitar with an Edge III trem system. A lot of the are not set up properly, and that makes the trem function bad, not stay in tune and makes the Knife Edges wear fast.

If it is set up correctly, it can last you a few years, and will stay in tune.

A lot of people think that there trem base should be parallel to the body since it has Low Profile Saddles, thats wrong, because it is not a completely low pro trem like the Edge Pro and Edge Pro III.

A Propery set up trem should have its Knife edges straight with the posts, but with the Edge III you cannot see them. The Base plate should be slanted. A good guide is that the bottom of the fine tuners should be straight with the body.

If you got your guitar, and it looks like this, it is WRONG!.

Thats what most people think it should look like, and that causes premature knife edge wear, and a loss of tuning stability
Last edited by FRDesign at Jan 4, 2008,
FRDesign
Angel of Death
6,377 IQ
How To Change Your Strings

It Really is not that hard. A Lot of people say that its hard to change strings on a Floyd Rose trem, but its not, and if you are keeping the same Gauge and Brand of Strings that it is set up for, its even easier. If you need to change tunings and String Gauges go to the next Post, where I can tell you how to set it up for what you are doing.

You will Need:
1. Allen Wrenches (a 3MM is MANDATORY)
2. 9V Battery or something Similar to Block it
3. Wire Cutters
4. A Tuner
----------

1. Put the trem bar in, and then insert a 9V battery in the trem cavity, underneath the fine tuners.

2. Remove the current strings on it. Unlock the Nut first, then unwind, and unlock at the bridge

3. slide new strings through machine head, and nut, cut off ball ends if wanted

4. Strings goes into saddle, lock

5. Tune to 1 half step lower, then remove 9V battery

6. Completely tune.

7. Stretch strings and keep tuning

8. Lock nut
Last edited by FRDesign at Feb 5, 2008,
FRDesign
Angel of Death
6,377 IQ
*reserved for future posts*
Last edited by FRDesign at Dec 31, 2007,
FRDesign
Angel of Death
6,377 IQ
*reserved, again*

And you can now post.
Last edited by FRDesign at Dec 31, 2007,
diditfortehlulz
UG Newbie
595 IQ
Quote by False_God
Edge III sucks. Im sorry but its true.

Sorry to say, but he's right.

Ibanez saves the good hardware for their Prestige models. I mean, if they put Edge Pro's and all that on their mid level RG's, what incentive would people have to buy the higher end models?

I think it's great that you're doing this though. Kudos!

Edge III's are not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Haha, you're still trying to justify your purchase. Quite clearly you know jack all, because otherwise the first post would have contained specific information on how to set up an Edge III to be good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Nayr303
186 IQ
So, where is the guide? I just took mine to the shop this morning and the dude got it all set up for free. I didn't tell him I messed with it, because as soon as he seen it he about flipped out because it was set up so wrong.
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
National_Anthem
Quite the toff
554 IQ
Quote by timi_hendrix
Haha, you're still trying to justify your purchase. Quite clearly you know jack all, because otherwise the first post would have contained specific information on how to set up an Edge III to be good.

Is there actually enough set-up to run into more than one post?
FRDesign
Angel of Death
6,377 IQ
Quote by timi_hendrix
I havent wrote anything yet, I'm taking pictures right now, and then uploading em.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
If you know so much about the Edge 3 then why not mention the notch on the bridge plate that tells you when the bridge is level?

This thread fails completely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
FRDesign
Angel of Death
6,377 IQ
Quote by steven seagull
If you know so much about the Edge 3 then why not mention the notch on the bridge plate that tells you when the bridge is level?

The Edge III doesn't have a notch on the Bridge plate.
pifty
Lurkin'
436 IQ
What's there to know about it anyways? The fact that the trem plate is confusingly uneven is the only real difference of EIII from any other cheap LFR out there.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by FRDesign
The Edge III doesn't have a notch on the Bridge plate.

Seagull fails completely then
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
8footsativaist
Un-Registered Guest
423 IQ
Do the designs of edge 3's differ slightly? Because my 320 FM's flat at the tuning pegs, yours seem to curve and raise over the locking nuts.

Anyway, Edge 3's aren't that bad. Mine was awful before I redid it. When it's off, it goes mentally off. When it's on, it's bang on. Just as any other floyd really.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
pifty
Lurkin'
436 IQ
^ Yours seems to have the Edge Pro II
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
8footsativaist
Un-Registered Guest
423 IQ
O rly?
In that case - Man people write some dumbass reviews, even on this site.
Ohwell.
What's better, edge 3 or 2? Or whatever one it is that I happen to have.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
pifty
Lurkin'
436 IQ
Quote by 8footsativaist
O rly?
In that case - Man people write some dumbass reviews, even on this site.
Ohwell.
What's better, edge 3 or 2? Or whatever one it is that I happen to have.

Naw man, don't worry, 320s had both Edge III and Edge Pro II. The latter's a bit better, but still nothing awesome.
C.C. Deville
McMammaries
2,702 IQ
thanks for making this thread, im looking forward to the string changing section, i just got my first "good" guitar for christmas and it has an edge III
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
aznrockerdude
MUSOU SENSHOUSAN!
1,520 IQ
8 foot, just buy an Edge Pro and be done with it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
8footsativaist
Un-Registered Guest
423 IQ
Thanks. Good to know.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
aznrockerdude
MUSOU SENSHOUSAN!
1,520 IQ
I think this thread is pointless. There's a reason why the Set-up thread exists. And if you really want to justify your buy TS, then buy an OFR or whatever else fits in the cavity.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
jake911
120 IQ
ITs kinda funny since the Lfr on my jackson stays in tune better than the Edge on my 550.
aznrockerdude
MUSOU SENSHOUSAN!
1,520 IQ
Quote by jake911
ITs kinda funny since the Lfr on my jackson stays in tune better than the Edge on my 550.

o.O
Ever heard of Ibanezrules? Lots of helpful s*** there.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
jake911
120 IQ
I know that site, i am afraid it may be more of a issue of the knife edges being thick.
pifty
Lurkin'
436 IQ
Quote by jake911
I know that site, i am afraid it may be more of a issue of the knife edges being thick.

I call bad setups on this. Normally you'd need to cut Terminator (No, not the T-1000, you smartasses ) in half with those edges to even begin to damage them.
the boogieman
525 IQ
this thread was a bit disappointing

i thought it go a lil bit into intonation
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Broken-pick
2,465 IQ
This thread will benefit some,so just let him write the guide in peace.He's intending to help,but you're all complaining that this thread sucks just because he's writing about Edge III.Not everyone here can afford a guitar with OFR or just the OFR.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Nayr303
186 IQ
Quote by Broken-pick
Not everyone here can afford a guitar with OFR or just the OFR.

Thank you. Finally, someone pointed that out.

Not everyone can afford the best gear.
Guitars :

Ibanez RG350MDX
Fender Squire Strat
Alvarez RD8C

Amps :

Roland Cube 30x
Fender Frontman 15

Pedals :

Boss DS-1
Boss CE-5
Danelectro DJ-9
Digitech RP250
pifty
Lurkin'
436 IQ
Well, anyone who buys a new 350 surely can afford a fairly great 570. Whether you choose to discover that possibility is an entirely different matter.
aznrockerdude
MUSOU SENSHOUSAN!
1,520 IQ
Quote by pifty
Well, anyone who buys a new 350 surely can afford a fairly great 570. Whether you choose to discover that possibility is an entirely different matter.

+1.
But those who can only afford a used 350 are better off saving up.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
shredder1223
282 IQ
Quote by steven seagull

lol you just owned yourself
IBANEZ_EDGE
UG Newbie
44 IQ
Cliffnotes

Phase 1: Take the Edge III out of your guitar and throw it away.
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
jake911
120 IQ
Quote by pifty
I call bad setups on this. Normally you'd need to cut Terminator (No, not the T-1000, you smartasses ) in half with those edges to even begin to damage them.

I did a resetup today, hopefully it will get better.

I did the chapstick thing made the knifes right and locked he studs, hopefully this works.
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy
1,211 IQ
Quote by False_God
Edge III sucks. Im sorry but its true.

if setup properly, like any trem, the edge III will perform well.
sure, it wont perform like a lo pro, edge or edge pro, BUT it will return to somhat reasonable tuning...nothing that cannot be corrected by the fine tuners.
Now, when you buy a gutiar in that price, you CANNOT expect a £180 bridge unit on a £300 guitar..its ridiculous...so put up!
8footsativaist
Un-Registered Guest
423 IQ
To people suggesting to go and buy better gear, we're not all made of money, and we don't all live in the US and UK. Some of us live in retard countries, where we can't afford to pay more than twice the american price for the best gear.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
False_God
ios 5 compatible
8,046 IQ
Quote by godofshred

Now, when you buy a gutiar in that price, you CANNOT expect a £180 bridge unit on a £300 guitar..its ridiculous...so put up!

I dont expect it. I just dislike it. Simple.
LP Addict
UG's Wood Kawn-e-sewer.
10,983 IQ
Quote by godofshred
if setup properly, like any trem, the edge III will perform well.
sure, it wont perform like a lo pro, edge or edge pro, BUT it will return to somhat reasonable tuning...nothing that cannot be corrected by the fine tuners.

Floyd rose discovery OT series.

150 dollars for the guitar.

comes with OFR.

good luck finding one, i bought them the last week they were really clearanced.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
Ts how long have you had ur guitar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011