I was thinking about getting a custom 7 string made.

Anyone know if theyre a good quality custom shop?
Reasonable prices?
Any other custom builders to suggest?
Yay on the quality, but the prices are rising slightly but still an amazing value compared to other custom shops.
Quote by webbtje
Gary Holt says yay.

EDIT: Jeff Waters even.

Lol, the Jeff Waters Seal of Approval

Im just not sure if a custom Ran will match up to a Black Machine as they are supposed to be TeH ShIZniT

Theyd probably come to around the same price, though I havent sent a Custom Quote form to Ran yet and Ive no clue how much a Black Machine is either so I guess some investigation will have to be done.
^Black Machine is amazing, If you get an estimate from Ran that is around the same as theirs go with Black Machine the shipping will be less.
Quote by littlemurph7976
Lol, the Jeff Waters Seal of Approval

Im just not sure if a custom Ran will match up to a Black Machine as they are supposed to be TeH ShIZniT

Theyd probably come to around the same price, though I havent sent a Custom Quote form to Ran yet and Ive no clue how much a Black Machine is either so I guess some investigation will have to be done.

Well, one thing with Blackmachine might be the waiting list.

Looking on their site and reading the info and news and such it seemed like their not that great in the speed department.

On the other hand, if you think it's worth the wait and you can afford one, you could consider it.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by diminishedtobme
^Black Machine is amazing, If you get an estimate from Ran that is around the same as theirs go with Black Machine the shipping will be less.

Thats what my first thought was. And I live about 2 hours away from them so there wouldn't be any shipping

And as for the waiting list, it'll take me a while to save up for whatever I get so the Black Machine waiting list is no problem. I think Ran have a similar wait time anyway when you order one.

I really can't make my mind up which to go for
Quote by littlemurph7976
Thats what my fiirsth thought was. And I Live about an hour away from them so there wouldn't be any shipping

Well, one advantage of living close to them is that you can try them out before ordering.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, one advantage of living close to them is that you can try them out before ordering.

Indeed, I may have underestimated the distance between me and them, but theyre still at a manageable range. I can't see anyone wanting to give me a lift down there just to try out a guitar though Fingers crossed when Ive saved up enough to place a deposit, I can persuade my Dad to take me down.
Quote by littlemurph7976
Indeed, I may have underestimated the distance between me and them, but theyre still at a manageable range. I can't see anyone wanting to give me a lift down there just to try out a guitar though Fingers crossed when Ive saved up enough to place a deposit, I can persuade my Dad to take me down.

In England they intruced something called "public transport" a long time ago.

The idea behind it was to allow people wanting to try out a guitar outside walking distance to get to the luthier within a reasonable amount of time. You might want to try it; just go to ye olde trainstation and be an experience richer.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Roflol

Sarcasm Award for you

Seriously though, has anyone ever played a Ran or a Blackmachine?

Rans are seriously good guitars. Amazing quality, and very very good playability. Probably going to work out a lot cheaper than a Blackmachine-you're looking at ~ £2500 for a B7. Doug has put his custom guitar prices up since the advent of the B6 (one of which I'm getting...).
That said, the Blackmachines are incredible pieces of kit. I've been lucky enough to play a few of them, and can say that they are, hands down, the best guitars I have played.
ran guitars:YAY!
when it comes time for a new guitar, it will be custom, it will be a ran custom
(but i wont be able to afford it until im done buying a car and some other things until i graduate high school
You know what? I have serious GAS for a Black Machine. As cool as having a custom guitar made would be, Id rather get a custom specced Black Machine.

Although, I could get a Ran built like a Black Machine?
Wouldn't really be as good though
^have you see the gallery at Ran? Im sure they could pull something off, thats pretty similar.
Anyway are you going to get a hardtail or Floyd Rose?
I'm an ESP fanatic (as you can tell from my avatar). Is there any way to get Ran to make me a custom guitar that has the ESP logo on the headstock instead of the Ran logo? If so, that would save me a couple thousand, since ESP customs are usually $4500+.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee
I'm an ESP fanatic (as you can tell from my avatar). Is there any way to get Ran to make me a custom guitar that has the ESP logo on the headstock instead of the Ran logo? If so, that would save me a couple thousand, since ESP customs are usually $4500+.

Wouldnt that kinda be illegal for them since the logo would be copyrighted ?
^Im not sure but they might, Ive seen them put peoples names on the headstock instead of the logo.

Edit; Ya they might not due to copyright and whatnot.
Quote by UrMomsMom
Wouldnt that kinda be illegal for them since the logo would be copyrighted ?

That's what I was thinking, but if it's just one guitar that they make for one person and don't manufacture it... idk. I've seen a lot of guitars in their gallery that have Ran written in exact fonts and styles of other companies' logos, such as Dean and Jackson, not to mention all of the exact copies of body styles. If they could get away with that, it makes me wonder if they can take it one step further.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
there's liable to be a long wait with ran...

i have a legra. excellent guitar, good prices, decent wait time. www.legraguitars.co.uk

bound to be worth an email.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have been eye balling Ran Guitars for quite a bit, they look amazing and sound great too.

If you have the money and patience, I'd say go for it. Some really great guitarist use them, Jeff Waters, Vogg (Decapitated), and a few others.
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
yeah, that's mine!

I didn't realise he had that up yet, thanks for posting that!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's mine!

It looks like a very nice guitar.
thanks, it's really nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that's mine!

How much did that cost you dave ? :p
looks like a bloody amazing guitar

give us some pics? hhehe
My Gear:
Ibanez RG550M Dimarzio TZ + Paf Pro
Ibanez RG550R Dimarzio TZ in Bridge
Ibanez TS9>Vox AD50VT.

Quote by JackalUK
If you fap at 2 million faps per second you can go back in time
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks, it's really nice.

If you don't mind me asking, how much would a guitar like that set you back, roughly?
around £1600, though that was about 6 months ago. you'd need to contact bob @ legra to get a quote, to be honest.

I have a couple of pics in my profile, but to be honest i suck at taking pictures and those pictures on the legra site are far better than any i have...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
around £1600, though that was about 6 months ago. you'd need to contact bob @ legra to get a quote, to be honest.

I have a couple of pics in my profile, but to be honest i suck at taking pictures and those pictures on the legra site are far better than any i have...

The pics on the site make the top wood look a bit darker.

Vs.

Very nice, very nice....

How's the asymmetrical neck?
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jan 5, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
In England they intruced something called "public transport" a long time ago.

The idea behind it was to allow people wanting to try out a guitar outside walking distance to get to the luthier within a reasonable amount of time. You might want to try it; just go to ye olde trainstation and be an experience richer.

OK FINE!! MAYBE AMERICA IS A BIT SLOW!!!! lol yea....its rly kinda funny to visit europe, take a train/bus/watever anywhere you want for cheap and then come home and tis like "hum...gas prices suck"

but of course, the profit isnt there for that sorta thing where i live soooo
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
OK FINE!! MAYBE AMERICA IS A BIT SLOW!!!! lol yea....its rly kinda funny to visit europe, take a train/bus/watever anywhere you want for cheap and then come home and tis like "hum...gas prices suck"

but of course, the profit isnt there for that sorta thing where i live soooo

How can you say South Carolina is a bit slow?

In fact, they even started converting the cotton crops into something more profitable recently and Myrtle Beach has a free shuttle bus.

Plus according to the quarter, they're the "Palmetto State".
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jan 5, 2008,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, one thing with Blackmachine might be the waiting list.

Looking on their site and reading the info and news and such it seemed like their not that great in the speed department.

On the other hand, if you think it's worth the wait and you can afford one, you could consider it.

it IS worth the wait but one thing, black machines go for around 2-3K or at least the seven string ones do. also everything at black machine is on hold at the moment as rob has to many orders.

IMO they are the best sounding guitars on the planet, and play like a bitch on crack.

and jeff waters can go die, black machine has the Devin Townsend seal of approval
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
How can you say South Carolina is a bit slow?

In fact, they even started converting the cotton crops into something more profitable recently and Myrtle Beach has a free shuttle bus.

Plus according to the quarter, they're the "Palmetto State".

lol and i dont think we are 50th in educatin anymore!! i thinkw e are 49 now!!! woohoo!!.....oy we suck..... o well! yay! private school education!!! with a graduating class of 3!!!!

to stay kinda on topic, i have no idea
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Thanks for suggesting Legra Dave, Ive had a look at them before and had completely forgot about them. Ive sent them an email. And that is a very nice flying V you have there

Im pretty much set on a Black Machine now though, and even if I got a custom guitar made it would look very much like a Black Machine so I may as well get the real thing I figure. Im looking for another job aswell to try and pay for one.
The Annihilator approval: http://youtube.com/watch?v=99I0nVx5_-Y

Haha Looks cool though.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The pics on the site make the top wood look a bit darker.

Vs.

Very nice, very nice....

How's the asymmetrical neck?

yeah, that's about the only thing my pics do better... the blue seems a bit more like its real colour, it's definitely not dark blue, more like mid-blue. but other than that, my pics are terrible.

the asymmetrical neck is sweet. i'm really pleased i went with it- really skinny for the treble strings for shredding, thicker (not too thick, but thick enough to not feel too skinny) on the bass side for easier rhythm playing.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Thanks for suggesting Legra Dave, Ive had a look at them before and had completely forgot about them. Ive sent them an email. And that is a very nice flying V you have there

Im pretty much set on a Black Machine now though, and even if I got a custom guitar made it would look very much like a Black Machine so I may as well get the real thing I figure. Im looking for another job aswell to try and pay for one.

yeah, those blackmachines are meant to be really nice, but i've never tried one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bodomfan666
black machine has the Devin Townsend seal of approval

shiiiiit.

if they make left handed guitars ima look into it.
DT owns.