# 1 (larry graham, victor wooten)
17 21%
#2 (flea)
52 63%
interchangeable can do them both easily
13 16%
Voters: 82.
Page 2 of 2
I think "wrong" is the incorrect word to use. There is no definitive textbook on playing any instrument, we are all making it up as we go along - even the greats. I would say that it is the least efficient way of playing slap bass. personally i play like Louis Johnson, here is a video clip of him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJLzp4jaU-0&feature=related

I am currently learning to play like Marcus a lot more, using my thumb like a pick but it's hard man.. taking it very slow at the moment to get technique flawless
Argh, I've been trying to say what Applehead has just said but Im too dumb.

What is the most efficient way of slapping anyway?

I play alot like Flea as well, holding my hand so my thumb sticks out almost perpendicular over the strings and rotation my wristing beating the crap out of my strings thinking that it was the best way to slap.

Is it the part where my thumb bounces off instead of resting against the next string that is wrong, or hand postion or what?

I hope someone can enlighten me before I go down the wrong road. After watching a few Larry Gram videos I noticed that he kinda slaps with the bottom of his thumb and thumps down on the string rather than using the side to slap the string and bounce back.

EDIT: Whoa, it's really hard to see Louis' slapping hand in that video, seriously. He uses the 'incorrect' style slapping doesn't he? Like Flea by only with his thumb parallel?
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Last edited by shotbythepope at Jan 7, 2008,
If your thumb is stopping on the string below, that is more thumbing than slapping. they are really a different technique....
Okay. So what's so wrong or less efficient about the Flea method of slapping?
Phew. I thought I had it already
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
I slap similar to the way flea slaps

its comfortable for me and it gets the job done
Quote by Applehead
I think "wrong" is the incorrect word to use. There is no definitive textbook on playing any instrument, we are all making it up as we go along - even the greats. I would say that it is the least efficient way of playing slap bass. personally i play like Louis Johnson, here is a video clip of him...

That's such... politically correct bull****. I dunno, it seems like it's the exact same, just using terminology that isn't gonna piss ****loads of people off. I guess that was kind of the point. Either way, tomato, tomahto, it's wrong

Anyway, the main thing that makes Flea's technique the least efficient way of playing slap bass is the fact that having your thumb going across the strings is so detrimental when you want to be doing faster runs and the faster and more intricate thumbing parts. With the Miller style you get a natural flow from thumb into pop and back into thumb instead making jerking motions. That's just what I've observed. Also the fact that your thumb is just plain old getting in the way of everything, which is why so many people complain of not being able to slap the A string.
What about the Fiedly style of slapping? haha...please don't hurt me.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Page 2 of 2