Page 1 of 21
'57Strat
Stratman
122 IQ
It's time for a thread specifically about this amp. It shows up in many, many threads from those who either have them, or those considering getting them. Seems those of us with them should share.

I've been playing for 40 years, through a variety of Fenders, Crate, Hiwatt, Kustom and Marshall amps, some small and some huge, some timid and some intimidating. I play hard and classic rock, blues, alternative and 70s style british rock (Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown, T-Rex, etal). I play primarily Fender strats, but also use an Ibanez SZ520QM and a 335 Dot. I've learned over many years of playing and performing that the number of watts your amp puts out is not as important as how it delivers those watts, and primarily, the tone you can milk out of it. So, very, very little use of pedals anymore . . . . . . just straight ahead axe to amp. That's the space where you quickly find out if you have the chops or not.

The Classic 30 - designed by Peavey after an older Vox AC30 - need much more be said? Built like a tank, very quiet even when cranked, luscious creamy vibe to paint peeling shred, and able to melt your heart at club volume if you love a good blues turn. Handsome in tweed, and downright gorgeous paired with the matching Classic 112E extension cabinet. Soundmen will tell you that a good mic on a Classic 30 is indeed classic, and 30 Peavey tube watts provides a bigger boatload of volume than most will ever need until your Wembley gig, when you might want 2.

I love other amps too so don't despair. This little jewel deserves it's own space. Any comments on tubes others have discovered they matched with it well, or control settings to share? I've still got stock tubes in mine believe it or not (a 2002 USA unit), and believe in the stock speakers for the amp and 112E too. Any thoughts? Anyone else playing an Ibanez SZ520QM through a Classic 30? Talk about tone!
Last edited by '57Strat at Mar 30, 2008,
Svea_Trollblod
In Metal We Trust
404 IQ
Is the classic a tube amp? or is it digital or something, i cand see the difference in a tube amp and a digital amp. not to talk about transistor amps, Does this amp only have tubes or something, and if it does, does it deliver better sound when using tubes only?
Må Den Svarta Älgen Ta Er!
Don_Humpador
UG Monkey
224 IQ
Quote by Svea_Trollblod
Is the classic a tube amp? or is it digital or something, i cand see the difference in a tube amp and a digital amp. not to talk about transistor amps, Does this amp only have tubes or something, and if it does, does it deliver better sound when using tubes only?

Please read the stickies.

'57 Strat, I have one too. They're awesome amps

I'll post some pics, hopefully fairly soon.
slatsmania
downright dinosaurian
1,012 IQ
Quote by '57Strat
The Classic 30 - designed by Peavey after an older Vox AC30 - need much more be said?

I have one. Basically it serves as the backup to my AC30.

It's a great amp for a variety of reasons. It's got a great sound, and it's also small, light, and portable for such a powerful amp. I've still got the stock tubes and speaker in mine, so I can't add too much there.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
jj1565
Officially Knighted
1,715 IQ
i like classic 30's, i think they are good, but a little specific. especially without pedals.

personally i like AC30s better, but it's all about finding the right amp for you.

good luck, congrats.

edit: Gahhh Slats!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
'57Strat
Stratman
122 IQ
Svea - it's a tube amp . . . . . . 30 pure tube watts of rompin' stompin' hell when combined with the Classic 112E cabinet.
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD
2,921 IQ
I don't have a Classic 30...

But I do have a Classic 50.

Only had it for over a month now and it's my first real tube amp. Hasn't let me down yet.

The set up is just Epiphone LP>Vox Wah>Classic 50...the versatility of the amp is amazing and the drive is pretty good at lower volumes. For the price, especially used these amps seem great.

Edit: I suppose this would be the best place to ask, how do you guys compare the Classic 30 to the 50?
Do the 20 watts make much of a difference? And is the 30 any better? Cause GC were trying to clear out the 50's when I bought mine.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jan 5, 2008,
'57Strat
Stratman
122 IQ
Basically you have the bigger brother. Great amp too. Good for you. Did you get the combo 2x12, combo 4x10, or a head and separate cabinet? Black or tweed? Used, or new? If used, stock tubes? Just curious and glad to converse with a Peavey Classic brother. You are now part of a very well protected secret, which is . . these amps are killer!

The 50 watt classic just has a little more oomph . . . . headroom, which doesn't necessarily translate into dbs, but does help. If you plan to play out a lot, and loud, you've made a great choice. Heck, you've made a great choice period! Should match up well with your Epi. I have a friend that plays rockabilly with a Gretsch through a 4x10 50, and another that pushes the blues through a 2x12 50 with strats. Very, very nice amps.

Peavey mde a Classic 115E extension cabinet, designed to match up to the Classic 50, which you might consider. All I've seen have been in tweed. The 115E is NOT a bass cab, but rather designed to provide some extra range and muscle to the Classic 50. Check this link out for some good pix of one:

http://glasgow.vivastreet.co.uk/musical-instruments-sale-buy+glasgow/show_pics6223755

Now, if you want to jump to the really big muscle check out the Classic 100, and 4/12 cab. Not for the faint of heart.

Cheers.

K
Last edited by '57Strat at Jan 6, 2008,
rageandlove04
Get it?
395 IQ
I have a Classic 30. I'm playing either an Ibanez 335 copy or a modded Fender Mustang through it and I find that this amp is perfect for me. 30 tube watts really carries, it's very portable and it sounds great.

I also just retubed with JJ EL84's and JJ 12AX7's. I only bought the JJ preamp tubes because I found them really cheap, I was originally shooting for Tung-Sols or Electro Harmonix. Overall, the amp sounds better on low volumes as well as cranked. The JJ preamp tubes are noticeably darker than the Sovteks, but that's kind of what I was looking for anyway. I should note that the retube was not necessary; the Classic 30 is a great amp all stock, but better tubes do make a difference.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
i love my classic 30, and tho ive still got stock tubes and speaker, ill probably change them out this summer. doesnt really need the change, but i hear that swapping out the speaker helps it sound a good bit better.

i do usually use a bunch of pedals with mine, but thats mostly cause i like having all the options at my feet. it takes pedals very well, much better than other amps ive tried. and yet, even when i dont use pedals it still sounds amazing (or perhaps better).
Iceman 420
UG's Poke-Penguin
1,360 IQ
Got my Classic 50 when they were clearing them out too. But if they didn't, I'd of course go with the Classic 30. For the music I'm playing at the moment, I have no need for any pedals really, so it's just straight guitar to amp. Don't really ever need to buy another amp, even when I do do metal, an OD pedal would fix that. It's a 212, and if anything, I might sell it and get a Classic 30 half-stack. Not that I need too, but I like the look of half-stacks.
My Gear:
Ibanez GRX20
Fender Esquire
Keeley TS808
BBE Free Fuzz
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Classic 50
Ovation Ultra 1528

"There are only two types of rock guitarists: Jeff Beck and everyone else."
-Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
yeahyeah
Better Get Hit In Yo Soul
476 IQ
I used to own a Classic 50 and I loved that amp, for the price (used) it cannot be beat.
I ended up selling it and buying an AC30 which I do prefer but I miss the reverb and extra gain that the classic had
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
strat212
825 IQ
I have a classic 30, and havn't reeaally cranked it since I bought it almost a year ago, but hopefully i'll be able to push it volume-wise soon. I usually use an HRD when playing over loud drummers or in a band or something. I've found the classic 30 will definitely cut it in a pinch though. The HRD has more of a fender sound that I use in my band though. Anyway, I have one that's probably early 90's. I don't know how to find out for sure, does anyone know where I could find something to look up the serial number? more than i ever thought I was getting in a tweed 1x12, i really can't say enough about the reliability, durablity, and overall supurb range of tone that comes out of that amp. I've had to service my newer HRD a few times, and I've beaten the peavey up pretty good, and it takes it all, and still sounds fantastic. good job peavey, well done.
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
I have the classic 50.
Great, great amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD
2,921 IQ
Quote by '57Strat
Basically you have the bigger brother. Great amp too. Good for you. Did you get the combo 2x12, combo 4x10, or a head and separate cabinet? Black or tweed? Used, or new? If used, stock tubes? Just curious and glad to converse with a Peavey Classic brother. You are now part of a very well protected secret, which is . . these amps are killer!

The 50 watt classic just has a little more oomph . . . . headroom, which doesn't necessarily translate into dbs, but does help. If you plan to play out a lot, and loud, you've made a great choice. Heck, you've made a great choice period! Should match up well with your Epi. I have a friend that plays rockabilly with a Gretsch through a 4x10 50, and another that pushes the blues through a 2x12 50 with strats. Very, very nice amps.

Peavey mde a Classic 115E extension cabinet, designed to match up to the Classic 50, which you might consider. All I've seen have been in tweed. The 115E is NOT a bass cab, but rather designed to provide some extra range and muscle to the Classic 50. Check this link out for some good pix of one:

http://glasgow.vivastreet.co.uk/musical-instruments-sale-buy+glasgow/show_pics6223755

Now, if you want to jump to the really big muscle check out the Classic 100, and 4/12 cab. Not for the faint of heart.

Cheers.

K

Good to see other owners, mines just a stock 2x12 version in black. Managed to get the last one in the store.

I might change out some stuff later but for now the amp sounds great.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

cokeisbetter
Who?
1,905 IQ
Question for Classic 30 owners- is there any SS circuitry in them? Cos I've seen the occasional tube amp with an op-amp stage after the preamp.
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
I know that the rectifier is solidstate, and so is the reverb input.
That's all I know.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
myguitarskucks1
Schecter
464 IQ
Hello everybody, i ordered my Classic 30 1x12 and it is coming on Tuesday!

I tried one out at the store with my guitar and loved the sound i got from it. I can't wait for it to get here. When that happens ill tell you guys more about how i like it.
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,254 IQ
Quote by '57Strat

Cheers.

K
I had the opportunity to buy a used Classic 100 Head + Cab for $500, but in the end decided that 100 watts was more then I'd ever need (plus I didn't feel like dragging a head and cabinet every week to practice), so I went with a brand new Classic 50 (2x12, black) for the same price. I'm very happy with it, it's a great amp
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
Quote by cokeisbetter
Question for Classic 30 owners- is there any SS circuitry in them? Cos I've seen the occasional tube amp with an op-amp stage after the preamp.

it looks to me they have an IC (4558 dual opamp) driving the reverb, transistor i think switching the reverb, and another transistor either switching or driving the effects loop...
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/peaveyclassic30.pdf

are they brothers?

Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Jan 6, 2008,
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
EC, clean yer room.
BTW, the neck on your strat is pretty.
Once mine wears out, i'll probably go warmoth and get a nice flamed maple one.

But yeah, the peavey classic is tube where it counts, which is the power section and preamp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
haha yea. the stuff driving the reverb and stuff driving/switching the effects loop don't really really count as interfering in the tube circurity...

my room is cleaner than before. and i think u like seeing 4~5 pedals lying around under my strat plus i got a couple on my desk too. all home made.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
darkarbiter7
i love amp
4,594 IQ
Nice. Currently my rig is a mess. I gotta get a pedal board.
Haha, you even have the coke fridge pack.
Incase you need some "inspiration" hehehe...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD
2,921 IQ
^ Yeah the coke is a nice touch, right next to a Blues Junior and a strat it fits in perfectly.

And EC i'd agree with you, the Classic I have sounded a lot like a bigger version of the Blues Junior I tried in the store. They have the same tubes I think? Not sure how similar the circuitry is though....

BTW great set up.

jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
i thought the classic sounded darker than the BJ. the BJ was a bit more "chimey" and the classic was "warmer." thats what i thought when i tried the two back to back anyway.
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
my BJ is way warmer that most. new speakers and tubes, modified circuit does a lot too.

i'm trying to set the impedance right going from V1A (first gain stage?) going into V1B (second gain stage?)... its wierd. i need to adjust teh values. but its tedious taking the board out to workable surface.

and yes, i like the coke box. its a nice fit. it was even better with the marshall under the BJ. but the marshall's at my friends house. and im happy because the coke can if FULL!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
its a great amp for jazz/cleans/lighter stuff. too loose for metal even with an OD
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
SoulDecay
Keep breathing, my angel
77 IQ
I just got my classic 30 head and 212 cab today. I got a deal on it the store, so it was well worth it to buy them together.

Got them both for around $840 before tax.

I love it so far. It's my first foray into tube amps, so it's really not a surprise that it sound so good. I just love that I can get a great sound from it without having to use a distortion pedal. I got one when I went to the store, but I'm probably going to end up taking it back to get something else. No cranking for me though, parents would get all pissy.

But really, awesome amp so far (least after I figured out what the buttons did... pre and post? huh? )
strat212
825 IQ
Hey i got a question, do the new classic 30 and 50 combos and the head versions of those have a standby switch? cause mine doesn't, but it's a lot older one.
Gabel
UG's Swede
4,239 IQ
Classic 30s are very nice, some of the best amps around there. The only thing I dislike with them is the stock Blue Marvel, but slap in an Eminence Red Fang and you'd have an awesome amp.

Another thing with them is that they're very bad value in Europe. Luckily we Europeans have the Laney VC30, which also like a poor man's AC30. Basically if your in Europe the VC30 is a better alternative and in the US the Classic 30 is.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
'57Strat
Stratman
122 IQ
Great setup. You're gonna have some fun with this one. K
Hakanku
Tactician & Dreamweaver
283 IQ
I love my classic (although I have the 50) its a great amp, although it wont be my last amp unfortunatly. But until I get my Orange, I love my peavey!
JWBlack
855 IQ
Great Amp, Mine is all stock aswell.

I figured its more important to play and get better at guitar than spend all my time worrying about the tone, and if better tubes/speaker will improve it any.

Sounds great to me
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
'57Strat
Stratman
122 IQ
My Classic 30 and 112E cab are stock as well except for apparent replacement of 12AX7s with Fender branded tubes, paired with stock Sovtek EL84s. Considering Rubys, Mullards, TADs as replacements to fine tune tone a bit more. Will look to soften up the amps natural overdrive a bit. Having been at this with tube amps for 30 years I know pretty well what I'm after.

As for the stock Blue Marvel speakers, you know they're really not bad. Might consider going to 30 watt Celestion G-12Hs or Vintage 30s (as used in Top Hat amps), and maybe even Eminence Wizards (heard a Carr amp?). But Peavey did a pretty good job with the Blue Marvel, so it should not be discounted too early. Damn hard to argue with properly set Celestion Classic G12s though.

If you can't already tell I have been absolutely knocked by this amp for a few years now, and have foresaken many other much more expensive tube amps to always come back to this small but mighty workhorse. For the money there is nothing that can compare. For $2k more get a Carr, TopHat or Victoria.
rafarquhar
771 IQ
I have a B-52 AT series 4x12" cabinet, and I'm saving up for one of these.
Would this cabinet suit the 30 just fine?
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
myguitarskucks1
Schecter
464 IQ
So today is Tuesday and like i said in my earlier post I was supposed to get it today. And not more than 5 minutes ago did i get it! I just brought it up and took it out of the box. Too bad its almost 8:30 PM so its too late for me to play it. But i am just so excited i got it!
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
kelvinxkelvin
I AM MONKEY FIST!
759 IQ
Can this amp do metal with an OD?
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
strat212
825 IQ
please somebody answer this question I'm curious as to this as well.
as a comparison (to do metal with an od) classic 30 vs. Fender HRD?????

pppllllleeeaaasseee.
RHCPfan01
UG Senior Member
530 IQ
I bought my Classic 50, a '93, used for $200. Best money I have ever spent! It came in lackluster condition, with fairly old JJ EL-84s and Mesa branded Chinese 12AX7s, but for 200 how could I say no?! After loving the clean channel and relying on pedals for dirt, I finally decided to go for a retube. It's over with Pete Cage right now getting an overhaul with JJs for power and a variety of tubes for pre (I told him the sounds I'm after and he said he will go through and try some different tubes to see which fit what I am looking for). I can't wait to get her back!
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz