Page 4 of 23

does it have slotted tuners like these? where its open with a center hole?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ok well reguardless of what ur company calls them, are they open on top with a hole in the center slit?

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricslotted.html

anyway, ur measuring past the tuner a few inches, then cutting sticking it in and turning.
measure how long ur old screws are so u get the idea.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I dont know if this has been answered before, but how do you know what gauge the string is? Im still using the factory strings and my Low E and A strings are buzzing alot.

Thanks
depends on the type of guitar.

ususally 9 or 10's.

if ur strings are buzzing then u can raise ur action at the bridge.

repost, with your type of guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well its a fixed bridge, so go for at least 10's.

if u get the 9's, ull have even less pull on the neck and probably caue more fret buzz, as the neck straightens out, and the strings are pulled closer to the board.

after u swap out for the new strings. (one at a time) then repost if u still have buzz and ill telll u how to raise ur strings a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well its a fixed bridge, so go for at least 10's.

if u get the 9's, ull have even less pull on the neck and probably caue more fret buzz, as the neck straightens out, and the strings are pulled closer to the board.

after u swap out for the new strings. (one at a time) then repost if u still have buzz and ill telll u how to raise ur strings a little.

Okay, ill probably be able to get new strings tomorrow or the weekend
ok but this is a thread for people who need help. so why post in here unless u have a problem or are helping?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Hey, first post as it's the first time I havn't found the help I need already posted.

I'm changing the strings on my acoustic. It doesn't have pegs though, it's just a hole you poke it though and then wrap it round to secure it.

However on the strings I bought they have a metal ring at one end. Can I just put the other end of the string though the hole and secure it like a lasso? Or should I just snip off the metal ring and secure it like the old strings?

Thanks, sorry if it's a retarded question.
is it a classical, nylon string guitar? and if so are u trying to put steel strings on it?
just making sure thats not the case.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ahhh, yes it is. My noobishness is obvious now . I asumed that the strings had been replaced one at a time (it's a old guitar that was given to me) and that was the reason half were nylon, half were metal.

So I need to go and buy some strings for a classical guitar? Would you reccomend an online shop or just go to the guitar shops in town and ask.

Thanks for your help.
hey u might wanna explain what parts are what, because if some1 doesnt know how to string their guitar they might not know what the parts are either...
Quote by Dozerrox
Ahhh, yes it is. My noobishness is obvious now . I asumed that the strings had been replaced one at a time (it's a old guitar that was given to me) and that was the reason half were nylon, half were metal.

So I need to go and buy some strings for a classical guitar? Would you reccomend an online shop or just go to the guitar shops in town and ask.

Thanks for your help.

u need to replace with all classical strings then.
otherwise ur putting too much pull on the neck.

u can get them online or at a shop. just dont leave the guitar unstrung too long. in fact u should probably replace one string at a time if u can.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=nylon+guitar+strings

not familiar with the gauges, but shoot for a middle gauge so u dont change the tension too much.

good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

how do you string vintage strats where there's a hole in the top? i'm having a bit of trouble
"All Randy ever wanted to do was play the guitar."

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

"I don't fucking eat donuts"

do u mean slotted?
those are actually kind of easy once u get the idea.
remove an old string. see how long it is.
check out this guide ...
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricslotted.html

if u use their method ull probably end up with ur new string as the same length as the old one.
the new tip (after u determine how long ur new string will be) gets poked right into the tuner hole.
then wrap the string around. a few times is pretty good and if u started with a few wraps on the last one, then u should be at the same spot now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i did it a little different but hey, it worked. thanks for showing me that website, i've been looking for a lesson on it for awhile now.
"All Randy ever wanted to do was play the guitar."

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

"I don't fucking eat donuts"
cool
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have been playing for awhile, but i just have never changed my own strings because im lazy(ha ha) but i tried for the first time the other day cause i needed to learn. I cant get them to tune, what do i do?
do u have a tuner? what type of guitar is it?

http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

use this online guitar tuner, to help u figure out how each string should sound.
compare ur strings to each of the computer generated sounds.
get ur strings as close as possible to the tones.
sometimes, when you first string, ur in the completely wrong octave.
(way too low or way too high.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I read that in the Jimmy Page rig thread, that there was a way to string a guitar like him without the curved bridge? or maybe he doesnt even use a curved bridge maybe he just strings it differently?
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
sorry im not sure what u mean. can u post the thread?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Heres a trick to restringing a floyd rose Put the whammy bar in and bend it untill you have the clearence 2 but the strings in, then put the strings in duh.
dude, you gotta put in the lesson that you really MUST leave some slack in some cases, or the string might not be able to wrap around the tuning peg even one time before the string is already at its proper key.
HAHA, whoops i think i did something wrong this time around.
My Low E string is in and tuned but it's looser than the other strings
and its a .52
Quote by jmag

its probably tuned an octive too low.

just tune it up more and see.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Maybe I should wind it more, or de wind the other strings
Quote by jmag

Basically i have a les paul copy.

I use the Zakk Wylde stringing method. *over the tailpiece*

Anyway its got alot of buzz on my low e and my g is going out of tune quite regularly.

Any advice ?
I also believe my string is hitting a fret when i play, so i hear a bit of a rattling noise. It's not heard on the amp or when i play to other people. Only i can hear a bit of a faint rattle and it's bugging the hell out of me
Quote by jmag

Quote by rocknrollstar
Basically i have a les paul copy.

I use the Zakk Wylde stringing method. *over the tailpiece*

Anyway its got alot of buzz on my low e and my g is going out of tune quite regularly.

Any advice ?

u might want to raise ur strings. how thick are they? (what gauge.)

G strings fall out of tune faster than any other. u need to make sure ur getting a few good wraps around the tuner. make sure ur tuner (in the headstock) is tight. and rub the cut of the nut that the string passes thru, with a graphite pencil. that will lube the area and hopefully, help it pass thru easier.

if ur not sure how to raise strings, then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Snowblindvictim
Maybe I should wind it more, or de wind the other strings

make sure its in tune in the right octave.

in other words, ur guitar tuner will read "E" a couple of times as u tune UP the string.
but sometimes its a down tuned E. and as u tighten the string, u tune it up to the "E" we are used to hearing.

so here is an online tuner...
http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

compare the sounds of ur strings to the sounds on ur computer. then verify the tunings with ur electric tuner.

*also, a small amount of buzzing, not thru the amp is fine. if its really that hard for u to handle then raise ur strings a little.
if u want to raise ur strings (and change ur action) then repost with guitar type.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Its in the right octave.
If the slight buzzing is fine, i'll leave it then.
Thanks for your help!
Quote by jmag

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i need some help.... i`m starting playing the guitar and when i tune the guitar which is a strat the bridge begin eh..... to lift, and that is for me no normal.... what should i do???????
i've got a nylon stringed guitar..can i replace the nylon strings with steel ?
question:
i just swapped my heavy strings for some mediums. well it sounds like my strings are touching some frets when i play. They are in tune (electric tuner). i know my guitar instructor messed with the bridge last year when he put on the heavy ones. should i raise my strings or maybe they arent on tight enough?

my neck looks like its level and my bridge is about half a mm off the body.
Quote by kiev16
i need some help.... i`m starting playing the guitar and when i tune the guitar which is a strat the bridge begin eh..... to lift, and that is for me no normal.... what should i do???????

tighten the springs in the back. there are two screws. this will flatten ur bridge back down.

two screws and 5 springs example.
if u need help holding it down, u can also add a spring.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by SPFan
i've got a nylon stringed guitar..can i replace the nylon strings with steel ?

sorry, u cant. ull bend ur neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62