coolo
*Cissy Strut*
707 IQ
is there any bass guitar manufacturer that makes Rickenbacker style basses i really like the style of them but dont have them money to pay for an genuine Rickenbacker

thanks
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
Zar938
What the What?
380 IQ
going to be very difficult to find. Maybe even impossible, there was a guy on here who has one, but he got it in the early 90's, so there is still a chance

it most probably will be used, and take a while to find if you do manage to find one
Jonnomainman
UG Monkey
389 IQ
I think there's a company called Rockisbetter who make them.

Vintage Rick copies are very sought after but very hard to find because Rickenbacker were so scrupulous in persuing law suits against Japanese manufacturers copying their designs. Often these copies are of very high quality.

EDIT - It's Rockinbetter not Rockisbetter.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Sekhmet
Diabolically twisted.
116 IQ
It's creepingjesus73 that has a Columbus ricky4003 copy, from the 70's.
It's playing the high part on his 'resurrected in distortion' mp3 if you want to hear what it sounds like...

*hangs head at shameless plug for my own band's bassist.

edited to add: Rockinbetter is by Tokia - not one of their better efforts tho' IMO.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Last edited by Sekhmet at Jan 5, 2008,
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Jon is right; Rickenbacker goes after anyone who copies their basses and guitars with a vengeance. Their legal team is allegedly bigger than their design group.

There were some rather decent models put out in the 70s and into the early 80s. I've seen Tokais and Shafesbury's that were really nice quality. Keep checking Ebay and Craigslist. I recently saw one come up on the NYC Craigs list for just under $900.00.
coolo
*Cissy Strut*
707 IQ
thanks for your help so far i think im getting there

Quote by Tallman

Jonnomainman
UG Monkey
389 IQ
Tam - Rickenbacker havent designed a new guitar or bass for years! :P

Get in chat.

Damn, i think im gonna put "tam get in chat" in my future posts hoping you'll read.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
thefitz
I Hate Naming Instruments
2,922 IQ
Quote by Sekhmet
edited to add: Rockinbetter is by Tokia - not one of their better efforts tho' IMO.

Is it Tokia, or Tokai?

Anyway, copies don't sound like real Rics. If you want that sound, you're going to have to pay for it. Personally, I am very happy with the integrity of the company - a lot of people are spoiled into wanting something but not willing to earn it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Rathchild
139 IQ
I say, save your money. i have a '74 vintage rick 4001 mapleglo that i picked up on ebay for great price. fakes look alike, but as thefitz says, the don't live up to the rick sound. check out ebay. great prices and lots of unavailable colors
Instruments:
Jackson dinky dk2 trans blue : rickenbacker 4001 '74 mapleglo : pearl vision blue drum kit.

Future:
Jackson Kelly USA black, warrior custom 6 string bass
thefitz
2,922 IQ
Quote by Rathchild
I say, save your money. i have a '74 vintage rick 4001 mapleglo that i picked up on ebay for great price. fakes look alike, but as thefitz says, the don't live up to the rick sound. check out ebay. great prices and lots of unavailable colors

Pics or your bass is a banana.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
watchingmefall
Government is hell
1,458 IQ
Quote by Rathchild

I thought Rick had a team that searched ebay and closed the Rickenbacker auctions.
coolo
*Cissy Strut*
707 IQ
thats the thing im not relly seroius about getting a bass im in a band that needs a bassist and i wanted a cheapish bass but wanted it to look good not really for the sound if i got serous i would probably gut the whole thing and put new **** in it

Quote by Tallman

faultyy
Atleast I'm nobody's wife
1,100 IQ
I saw an Ibanez one on there a couple of days ago i think. Give me a minute will post the link if it's still there.

Nope think it's gone, can't seem to find it anyway
Last edited by faultyy at Jan 6, 2008,
thefitz
2,922 IQ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I thought they just closed the auctions of copies, maybe.

Rics sell on eBay all the time. The copies are the no-nos.

And that eBay copy - wow, a mudbucker at the neck. That's about the complete opposite of the Ric sound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Sekhmet
Diabolically twisted.
116 IQ
Quote by thefitz
Is it Tokia, or Tokai?

Anyway, copies don't sound like real Rics. If you want that sound, you're going to have to pay for it. Personally, I am very happy with the integrity of the company - a lot of people are spoiled into wanting something but not willing to earn it.

Of course it's Tokai , I can't spell for toffee.

I agree with the rest of your post too - strange I know.
If someone wants a rick, they should buy a rick.
If they want to buy a 'rick' style bass, not because it's a rick but because it has the sound they want then fair enough too.
Just don't buy a 'rick' copy thinking it's the next best thing - it's not.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

Casketcreep
Call me Elliot.
463 IQ
Quote by watchingmefall
I thought Rick had a team that searched ebay and closed the Rickenbacker auctions.

There was a Rick copy on ebay that ended on saturday, it was made by KAY.
I was outbid in the last 13 seconds, I was distraught.
It went for just over £140.

And there are literally no more on ebay at the moment.
(I've been searching all week)
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
they have a tokai rockinbetter in Bass Centre, google it.