So I'm building a super strat from materials lying around and I found three different kinds of capacitors:

A rectangle green one that says: 2A333J

Two square green ones that says:
100V
473J

A square orange one that says:
2=F
473J

Which of these are the best/ what are the differences?
Is it better to have each tone have its own capacitor or better that they share one?
It's going to be HSS with volume/tone/tone.

Thanks so much for the help!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I will not hazard a guess as to the capacitance of the individual pieces, you can figure that out. But in general the higher the capacitance the more dramatic the loss off tone will be when you turn the tone all the way down. A good way explained to me for understanding the capacitor in a tone control is that its a sieve for treble, as you turn the pot more treble gets strained out of the signal. This means that each pot (each tone control) needs its own capacitor. good luck with your project.
Quote by Quibi
I will not hazard a guess as to the capacitance of the individual pieces, you can figure that out. But in general the higher the capacitance the more dramatic the loss off tone will be when you turn the tone all the way down. A good way explained to me for understanding the capacitor in a tone control is that its a sieve for treble, as you turn the pot more treble gets strained out of the signal. This means that each pot (each tone control) needs its own capacitor. good luck with your project.

The first is .033uf, the second and third is .047uf. And the opposite way around - the smaller the capacitor, the more it will roll off treble. All are probably just MKT-type, so they will work for what you want. Both pots can share a capacitor too, it won't really matter if you do it that way here or not.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^smaller the more???

i thought .022uF would roll off less treble than .047uF...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i thought .022uF would roll off less treble than .047uF...

correct.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Bah, I always get confused.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
yeah, I hate it when that happens.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
They're all junk....... they are all stock pieces that can commonly be found on squier affinity series strats etc. Plus the fact that they are most likely used so old parts+poor quality+new non-factory solder (assuming) will make them more likely to blow/ cease..... i would suggest spending an extra $2.50/ea. for some Fender upgrade capacitors 0.02MFD 50V IC.
Quote by dprmit
They're all junk....... they are all stock pieces that can commonly be found on squier affinity series strats etc.
not really.
the caps on cheap guitars from the modern era are usually decent quality,
regardless of how crappy the rest of the hardware is.

Quote by dprmit
Plus the fact that they are most likely used so old parts+poor quality+new non-factory solder (assuming) will make them more likely to blow/ cease.....
lol, no.
the signal from a guitar is incredibly small.
it's damned near impossible to damage any cap with it
regardless of age, overheating, etc.

Quote by dprmit
i would suggest spending an extra $2.50/ea. for some Fender upgrade capacitors 0.02MFD 50V IC.
i wouldn't.
the cap in the tone-cut circuit of a guitar is the most highly overrated component.
with the tone control at maximum, the cap is essentially out of the circuit.
so it doesn't do squat.
only when the tone control is rotated counter-clockwise does the cap have an effect.
and many will argue for a Fender "vintage tone" you need cheap-ass ceramic caps
like Fender put in their guitars in the 50's and 60's.

This is all probably pointless anyway.
This thread was more than 6 months old when you replied to it.
Look for more recent conversations to contribute to.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Fender upgrade capacitors 0.02MFD 50V IC

What on earth do you need capacitors that'll handle 50Volts for?! It's an electric guitar not an electric chair! :-)
Quote by SlappyTheFish
What on earth do you need capacitors that'll handle 50Volts for?! It's an electric guitar not an electric chair! :-)

I LOL'd at that!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster