Alright, probably a stupid question to ask.

What effects should you use to sound good in funk/jazz/slap?

I just heard from GC site (on the Pod XT Live sound samples) that the "slap" sample had a little reverb in it.

I've decided that a compressor would be the best effect right now, but can anyone tell me what other effects (or lack of) I could use?
I need a sig.
Quote by smb
Envelope filter is a classic effect in slap.
That and just a reg. wah. Reverb can sound nice, but tends to get too reverby at times. Phaser just pwns if your playing progressive stuff.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

When I delve into the world of slap, which admittedly I rarely ever do, I always use a healthy (not LOADS, but more than a little) dose of compression so that you don't get huge volume discrepancies between strings and notes.

I like the sound of a touch chorus on a slap line too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I'd put some envelope filter in there for some funky-ass sounds. Think 21st Century by RHCP
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I think a pedal like a sans amp bass driver or a MXR bass DI (what I have). I think they both sound awesome with slap
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Quote by Kartman
I'd put some envelope filter in there for some funky-ass sounds. Think 21st Century by RHCP

+1 If you only want one effect go for the envelope filter. You're gonna have so much fun with it. Go to your shop and try it out.
The EHX Qtron sounds really good from what I've heard on youtube etc. (That's an evelope filter btw)

You might want some overdrive too for those heavier stuff. Not like a fuzz but some tube style crunch would be cool.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Puma89
+1 If you only want one effect go for the envelope filter. You're gonna have so much fun with it. Go to your shop and try it out.

21st century isn't slapped.... I can't think of one slap song that is slapped. Envelope is like. the classic fingerstyle sound (parliament), slap is more sly, which is more clean. I couldn't say what effect other than maybe compression and reverb.

Quote by Puma89
Yeah he had a sweet sound!

yeah this is spam!
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
21st century isn't slapped.... I can't think of one slap song that is slapped. Envelope is like. the classic fingerstyle sound (parliament), slap is more sly, which is more clean. I couldn't say what effect other than maybe compression and reverb.

yeah this is spam!

Dude its a forum let people talk!

No one said 21 century was slapped!

Read the tread dude...
I would just use a medium dose of compression. It helps to keep things smooth, if you ask me.

Quote by Puma89

Read the tread dude...

You did NOT just do that.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
I would just use a medium dose of compression. It helps to keep things smooth, if you ask me.

You did NOT just do that.

I believe he just did.

*Begins to watch*
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by Puma89

Read the tread dude...

most people, when they "talk", do more than say one liners that boost their post count and add nothing to the existence of mankind in any way.

why, the definition of talk is even:

1. to exchange ideas

Why, saying "you did NOT just do that" sure is exchanging ideas! Why, now I have the idea that perhaps he did NOT just do that!

tonight is not your night. you spammed. Don't give me crap, you and I both know you spammed. Your warning will stand. And getting 30 e-mails about reports and having some multi jackass e-mail me and having to check the BB every 10 minutes to see if he did another one, I don't need your crap about how "let people talk dude" when. dude.

You.

weren't.

talking.

Talking would be along the lines of what I posted. you know, envelope fingerstyle slap clean funk sounds of 70s type stuff.

you weren't talking.

period.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Sorry, dan. If you noticed though, I actually did reply to the TS's question in the first place. That was just an addition, because that was the first time I've ever seen someone stand up to a mod like he did. We make mistakes, we're human bro.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
Sorry, dan. If you noticed though, I actually did reply to the TS's question in the first place. That was just an addition, because that was the first time I've ever seen someone stand up to a mod like he did. We make mistakes, we're human bro.

no I understand you. my huge rant wasn't directed at you. my original comment about 21st was just because it wasn't originally mentioned, and I felt the mention of it being envelope might mislead the threadstarter if he doesn't know his chili peppers. None as aimed at you, no need to apologize.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Oh, sounds good. It looked like it was, because of the whole mentioning of my comment. Anyway, has anyone here experimented with a good bit of distortion and some slapping? If you get the right kind of distortion, I can imagine that it would sound pretty cool.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I still dont think I spammed.

But whatever makes you happy right...
He was replying to my post, in which I showed an example of a great slap bassist who uses effects.

I'm vouching for Puma
*Subscribes to thread*

Anywho, envelope filters and wah can sound pretty good for some fingerstyle and slap funk passages. A compressor is very useful overall, but especially for slap.

Funk is an anything goes area when it come to effects. I cannot thing of any effect that would be out of place, if used correctly. Jazz if played for more cleanly, and therefore a compressor and a Sonic maximiser for general tone improvement would be a good idea.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
When i slap i use full bass, full treble, flat mids and compression. that's all you need in my opinion. obviously if you are funking it up you could use an envelope filter i guess... depends on the sound you want...
Quote by Puma89
I still dont think I spammed.

But whatever makes you happy right...

I'll remove my warning in full if you can explain how this post, in any way, contributes to the forum.

"Yeah he had a sweet sound!"

because it doesn't. It does nothing except higher your post count and encourage others to do the same. It adds nothing conversationally. It is not talking. It is not thinking. It is the epitome of spam.

Now stop spamming more by making one sentence posts like the one you just did. k? great.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
I am expressing my opinion. I also could have said that a phaser or flanger, delay and all that is really efficiently with slap. But instead I just commented on the video cos that guy had a really good sound for slapping.

And its not my fault you had a bad night with lots of people spamming so dont take it out on me.

I dont care about my post count. Who does? If I cared I would write in every thread I could like: "Who do you think is the most OVERRATED bassist ever? ", or bumping "Name That Bassline !!!" or just writng in the FAQ; "yeah amazing FAQ guys, good work!"

But I dont cos I dont care about my post count and its just a waste of time.
Quote by Applehead
When i slap i use full bass, full treble, flat mids and compression. that's all you need in my opinion. obviously if you are funking it up you could use an envelope filter i guess... depends on the sound you want...

By full, you do you actually crank the bass and the treble, or just shift them up a few dB?

And as a side point, I find cutting bands and upping the master volume to be more effective at minimising noise than boosting bands.

And Dan, I really don't think that many people actually care about their post count. It was a shock for me to see I had as I many as I do.

And while Puma did spam a little, far worse things get through the net every day. An unofficial warning would have been a fairer way to get the point across. In fact, the act of warning him has caused more spam than it solved.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by UtBDan
I'll remove my warning in full if you can explain how this post, in any way, contributes to the forum.

"Yeah he had a sweet sound!"

because it doesn't. It does nothing except higher your post count and encourage others to do the same. It adds nothing conversationally. It is not talking. It is not thinking. It is the epitome of spam.

Now stop spamming more by making one sentence posts like the one you just did. k? great.

Again, he was commenting on the bass player in the link I posted, so I think his warning is unnecessary.

Back on topic...
Why is it that when I use some overdrive/distortion and slap, the attack is almost nonexistant?
Quote by Puma89
I am expressing my opinion. I also could have said that a phaser or flanger, delay and all that is really efficiently with slap. But instead I just commented on the video cos that guy had a really good sound for slapping.

And its not my fault you had a bad night with lots of people spamming so dont take it out on me.

I dont care about my post count. Who does? If I cared I would write in every thread I could like: "Who do you think is the most OVERRATED bassist ever? ", or bumping "Name That Bassline !!!" or just writng in the FAQ; "yeah amazing FAQ guys, good work!"

But I dont cos I dont care about my post count and its just a waste of time.

never said you did it to raise your post count, I said that's all it did.

Displaying your opinion? How is saying "yeah sweet" anything other than spam? Am I mad? He didn't discuss why, he didn't do anything that could conclude or lead to anything that provides anything to this forum at all. Its about as legitimate as a warning gets.

posts like that are just as bad as the ones that say
"yeah"

because that's all you said! You posted one word! "that was sweet" translates as "yeah". Basically what you said was "YEAH". And you're telling me a display of opinion, if it in full is four words, does nothing to provide the forum with any benefits, and leads to nothing further except +1 on the post count, ISN'T spam?

you are wrong. Stop.

Quote by Charlatan_001
Again, he was commenting on the bass player in the link I posted, so I think his warning is unnecessary.

no, commentary would be "I think this is good but its only one example and I dont know if it exemplifies buying a pedal/spending $150 on one jam. He does it really well, but some of the time the effects are done they are fingerstyle and his slap stuff seems to be fairly unigroove."

that would be a display of opinion that isn't spam.

spam includes but is not limited to

"yeah"
"yeah that was sweet!"
"^"
"+1"
and ofcourse
""

Puma spammed. period. deal with it.

Quote by basser4ever123
hehe...wah...

*bom-chicka-wah-wah*

also spam. how nice of you to be completely oblivious to everything off topic about this thread. lol
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie