another simple question, how bad would 100k pots sound vs 500k pots as used as a volume pot OR as used as a tone pot......i'm trying to save myself 12 bucks on two new ones....these old ones are from an old 1980s PA system....

Thanks
Zac
They'll sound muddy as anything - you'd have very little top end.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
that's what I've heard from other sources on google...but just wondering, why would a PA system use them, and the PA sounds fine?
Because they're being used for completely different purposes in the PA system.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I could be very wrong, but I believe as the output current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance. The max resistance of a 100 kilo ohm pot is 1/5th what it normally is, so the current coming from the guitar would be changed by a factor of 5. I would guess that it wont work, but I'm all for experimenting. I say give it a shot.
I would assume 5 times too much output current actually. I still think you should give it a go though.
A 1 meg ohm pot is louder and brighter than a 500k. 250k dumps more highs than a 500k. So the lower you go the worse its going to get. The loads on a pot in a PA are completly different than the ones in a guitar. And 2 new pots cost a whole 5 bucks.
yes, but i need push/pulls....14 bucks each from musicians friend....anyone know where they are cheaper?
Quote by theguitarplayin
dont all pots serve the same purpose? measure the amount of voltage allowed through a given point. IE volume, tone,

The pots in a PA system are in an active system, guitar pots are dealing with a signal that's less than line level.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

ahhh...thanks all for your input....I think I will just order them at musicians friend because once I get my other parts I'll have free shipping and the price will come out only a few bits more expensive...plus if my push/pulls don't fit, i'll just blame it on MF's crappy website that has no dimensions on their products.....

I actually found them for 7 bucks on GODIRECTMUSIC, but with shipping it came out to be the same.....

Thanks again..
Zac

-/|\- Epiphone Les Paul Special II -/|\- Epiphone SG Special -/|\- Epiphone 12 String -/|\- Washburn KD20T Acoustic -/|\- Teisco EV-3T Del Ray -/|\-
Quote by steven seagull
The pots in a PA system are in an active system, guitar pots are dealing with a signal that's less than line level.

Okay, I get you, b/c theirs is power running through a PA and all that....and guitar is just running off the little power from the line cord.....I think I understand now...ha ha..and I have a 4.1 gpa...go figure
Zac

-/|\- Epiphone Les Paul Special II -/|\- Epiphone SG Special -/|\- Epiphone 12 String -/|\- Washburn KD20T Acoustic -/|\- Teisco EV-3T Del Ray -/|\-
Electricity can easily defy the laws of logic. Doesnt help there are so many different electric systems in the world. It can be hard to understand how it works at all sometimes. Black magic some call it.