wasabi1212
Mental Graffiti
46 IQ
Since learning how to play guitar on my roommates squire strat, i've only ever played acoustic. I've decided to buy an electric since getting into electric blues. It took me a while to decide between the strat design and the LP, but since I could only afford an LP studio, and I really like the tone of the strat (as did Jimi, Clapton and SRV) I'm going with the strat 3 single coil design. I'm now debating between the American Fender Strat and the G&L Legacy .

I've heard from one source that the average G&L Legacy has twice the value of an American Strat for the same price (both being about $1000).

I also am drawn to the G&L because it is Leo Fenders company since he sold Fender.

Can anyone give me some input here, telling me the pros and cons of each if they are actually different and if one has more value?

Thanks a lot,

Will
striker327
4,929 IQ
If your looking to get the sounds of SRV, Jimi and clapton i would choose the American strat you wont be disappointed
Main Rig
Fender Standard Fat Strat +Warmoth neck + Texas Specials
Korg AX3000G
VOX AD100VT
315 IQ
my guitar teacher plays a G&L legacy. It's a ****load better than my Arbor Fat Strat Copy.
Don_Humpador
UG Monkey
224 IQ
Quote by Tommy Walker
my guitar teacher plays a G&L legacy. It's a ****load better than my Arbor Fat Strat Copy.

slatsmania
downright dinosaurian
1,012 IQ
Quote by wasabi1212
Can anyone give me some input here, telling me the pros and cons of each if they are actually different and if one has more value?

Depends on what you mean by "value."

IMHO, G&L's are a much better value than standard American Fenders. I feel the build quality on G&L's rivals that of Fender's custom shop. So if you're buying a guitar for it's playability to keep, G&L makes a lot of sense. If you're looking for resale value, you're probably better off with the Fender. G&L's are great buys on the used market.

The Legacy is a direct Strat copy. I prefer the S-500 with the MFD pick-ups and locking tuners, but that's a personal choice. The dual-fulcrum vibrato on both G&L's is much smoother than that on even the top Fender's, if you like that sort of thing (I do).

If you're keeping it, and you're ok with a Fender-less label on a funky headstock, I think G&L is the way to go. I say that as the owner of a American Deluxe Fender Strat and as well as a couple G&L's.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ferrarone
Gremmie Out of Control
1,329 IQ
Quote by Tommy Walker

well...thats not too strange
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
Quote by Stratmaster458
Fender All The Way forever accept no substitutes

You know G&L stands for "George [Fullerton] & Leo [Fender]," the two guys who started what is now known as FMIC, right? If you're really that much of a traditionalist, G&L is closer to being a real "Fender" than Fender guitars are now.
Hi, I'm Peter
rossjohnson87
939 IQ
A G&L is a Strat, whereas a current Fender is a cheap imitator. Anyone who says differently has not played both.
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
G & L is the real Fender made right on Fender ave in Fullerton California to this day ..... you would have to spend double to triple the amount of money with Fender to equal the quality of a G & L ....

G & L also has 10 year warranty on the whole guitar .... you read that right , the whole guitar , electronics , neck and everything ..... look at a Fender warranty ...lol ... 1 year warranty and they don't cover shit , good luck having something done if you do need it ....

I started out wanting a Fender and now have 8 G & L's .....

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
G&L are way better guitars than Fender are

WTF why you bumping a 5 yr old tread
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 28, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
holy crap i saw slats and was like

then
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
OliveG
Tab Contributor
1,572 IQ
Mmmmh, this is very interesting. So let's say I'm thinking of a '60s type strat, would I be happy if I bought a G&L S500 for example? Probably a stupid question but even though I've heard of the G&Ls I really don't know much about them...
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
60's type strat you would be best with a Legacy and then pick the neck option you want (width , depth , slim C , wide D , ect , ect

to help get you educated read this thread for starters

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1546485&page=1

and the official Guitars by Leo web site

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Oct 28, 2013,