BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
I am making both an expression pedal for my new EHX Holy Stain and a volume pedal for...solos and stuff (I don't know, I just want one ) I found the schematic for a volume pedal here. It seems as if from my limited searches on google that a volume pedal and expression pedal are essentially the same thing. Is this true?
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
Behringer Blues Overdrive
EHX Holy Stain
Angelgiest
One Man Band in Tacoma WA
66 IQ
a volume pedal is a type of expression pedal
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
soooo would the schematics be the same?
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
Angelgiest
One Man Band in Tacoma WA
66 IQ
i think so. i think all expression pedals with effects are volume pedals, but instead of volume is gain or something. not sure though.
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
Ok thanks alot
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
Yeah I'm def goin passive.
As for the signal booster, I already use either a behringer blues OD or boss DS-1

I maybe should have mentioned, I am not mod'ing a wah, I just got my hands on two sewing machine pedals.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
stevo_epi_SG_wo
i picked a crap username
1,274 IQ

i have an old behringer wah i want to convert to volume!

is there anything else cool you can do with a wah chassis?

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
...Im still confused as to how to approach the actual placement of the expression pedal in my pedal board. Do I place after an effect (ie. my OD) then before the EHX holy stain but just run it into the EXP PEDAL jack instead of the input?
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
james4
1,118 IQ
the expression pedal takes over for one of the pots on the pedal. For example, if you want it to control the depth on a flanger, the depth control on the pedal itself would be bypassed, and the pot inside the pedal will control the depth. So it won't be like after or before an effect, it'll need to plug into an expression pedal jack on the pedal you want it for (in this case the holy stain). So the schematic will be a bit different than for the volume pedal, as there'll only be one cable that connects to the expression pedal jack on the pedal from the expression pedal, rather than the in and output jacks of a volume pedal. Also, you won't need the switch shown in the schematic as the bypass switch on the pedal will be used to bypass the effect as usual.

edit: woops, I didn't notice that the second part of your post said "do I just plu it in to the EXP jack of the holy stain?". so yes, that's where you'll plug it in
Last edited by james4 at Jan 16, 2008,
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
So how do I make the expression pedal, I can't find a schematic for an easy, passive one.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
s.r.v.
471 IQ
if you have a wah, you can make a switch to lift the 4.7 u cap.

volume pedals are passive, and as a result when all the way FORWARD, there is no volume boost, its unity. so basically you're just reducing your volume to have the effect of a boost.

my humble suggestion:
build a boost with a footswitch to switch between pots. it will actually give you a boost and if you want it can od your amp. plus, the enclosure for an expression pedal is really expensive and totally not worth it unless you are going to build an active circuit in it, which brings me to this:

volume pedals in a typical wah enclosure will not be that useful. only a small range of the pot is used, so its just a bad idea. yeah, it can go quite to medium loud, but a boost with a footswitchable pot is much better.

If anyone is interested, i will recommend you a simple one to build and draw a diagram for the boost pot footswitch.
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
I have two sowing machine pedals that I picked up for free...so that is not a problem.

EDIT: I understand the part about the volume pedal, but what about the expression pedal. Also, I use my DS-1 for a boost, I just wanted the volume pedal to accentuate my leads manually.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
Last edited by BrokenStrings at Jan 16, 2008,
s.r.v.
471 IQ
well my first guess would be find the pot value and stick that pot in the expression pedal, also find which lug corresponds to which part of the jack.
brentonlatour
Daydream Beleiber
218 IQ
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

i have an old behringer wah i want to convert to volume!

is there anything else cool you can do with a wah chassis?

i made a tone pedal with my broken crybaby. i put a big cap in it. sounds cool.
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
So lemme get this straight, there will only be one jack in the expression pedal?
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Remember a volume pedal can only cut volume.

You'd want a couple separate circuits, and a 100k/200k Wah Pot of some sort probably. You'd need it wired as a variable resistor for the expression pedal and a voltage divider for the volume. It'd probably require a lot of creative switching...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
has anyone here made an expression pedal from scratch?
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
brentonlatour
Daydream Beleiber
218 IQ
i'm not sure if you fully understand what expression pedal means. an expression pedal is any kind of effect pedal with a rocker pedal on it designed to be rocked whilst playing. types of expression pedals: wah, volume, whammy, ive seen some other uncommon ones too. i made a tone pedal myself.

you will need two jacks on your pedal, input and out put; unless you are going to do something unconventional.

my tone pedal was directly based upon a guitar circuit, o pc board or anything like that.

guitarelectronics.com has a ton of schematics to look at, maybe you will get some inspiration there.
BrokenStrings
Slash'd Page w/ Cream
145 IQ
I know what it is but i need to connect the pedal to my holy stain and therefore the expression wud ONLY be connected to the holy stain, am I wrong?

Like this almost
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
EHX Holy Stain
Last edited by BrokenStrings at Jan 17, 2008,