Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω
2,087 IQ
is it in standard notation, and is there a way i can get it in a different format if it is?
i know that getting more fluent in standard notation would be good for me, but i'm trying to progress with jazz, and getting standard notation in the mix right now would just put way too much on the table.

on a separate note, is standard notation a much used thing in jazz music? is it necessary to play with other jazz artists?
Nick_
as I sd to my
38 IQ
Standard notation is used in jazz music. You won't find tablature, except in technique exercises specifically developed for guitarists (like Zucker's Sheets of Sound). To play jazz and communicate it's necessary.
RhoadsSRV8290
Junko Partner
193 IQ
Yea there is no real book in tab. The Real Book is a universal book for all instruments.

Yes it is essential to read music to play jazz. As the gentleman above me said, it is difficult to communicate otherwise.
If everyone liked what I did, I probably wouldn't be playing anything of depth.

—Joshua Redman
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω
2,087 IQ
awww... is it still worth getting if i'm only halfway decent at reading sheet music? or would it just take me forever to figure one song out?
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
awww... is it still worth getting if i'm only halfway decent at reading sheet music? or would it just take me forever to figure one song out?

Of course it's worth getting. Just start off with the easy ones... Or don't. Either way, you'll always have a use for it, be it now or in 20 years.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.