My apologies ahead of time if this is the wrong section.

So, I decided to seriously attempt writing a song after discovering an obscure method of playing the guitar. I was fooling around with, I think, the Byzantine scale in the D position, and found something I liked. Basically as follows.

D A D(octave below) G

That's the basic riff, each of those notes taking up a bar of 4/4, slowish tempo. Maybe that'd be used as a chorus or something. I like the mood, somewhat ominous and brooding, yet a bit happier with that final note.

So, basically, what key(s) would this riff actually fit into? or, just any info that would help me develop a chord sequence for the song?

It's vague, I know, but it's all I got so far, and I'm very much inexperienced at songwriting. Any help at all is appreciated.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
So, yeah, it appears this was moved. so, any additional advice or help?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Since you're starting on a D note, I think it would be a good idea to extend the song in the key of D minor. D major could also be used, but, as you may know, major keys and notes sound brighter, and probably wouldn't fit with the ominous mood that you've described. The notes in the D minor scale are : D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C. This gives you the following chords :

D minor
E Half-Diminished (You probably wouldn't want to use this one, but if you like, you can)
F Major
G Minor
A Minor
Bb Major
C Major

So, you can either make another riff, with the notes in the D minor scale, or create a chord progression with the chords above, good luck!
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Actually so many scales would work. D functions as the tonic, with A as the IV, and G as the V. This leaves the scale very open, and you can choose : mixolydian, ionian, dorian, aeolian, phrygian, harmonic minor, melodic minor etc...
Quote by isaac_bandits
Actually so many scales would work. D functions as the tonic, with A as the IV, and G as the V. This leaves the scale very open, and you can choose : mixolydian, ionian, dorian, aeolian, phrygian, harmonic minor, melodic minor etc...

I think it would be better to start off simple because he is new to this.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
I think it would be better to start off simple because he is new to this.

All I was saying was he could use pretty much any scale, due to the fact that most scales will contain a perfect fourth and fifth. He just needs to keep D as his tonic.
Ah, thanks for the posts, guys. gives me a lot more to go off of than the first two guys.

I'll see how things go with this.

And, to Alter, variations of those basic chords will work as well, right? 7ths, 9ths, sus, and all that?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by Wulver
Ah, thanks for the posts, guys. gives me a lot more to go off of than the first two guys.

I'll see how things go with this.

And, to Alter, variations of those basic chords will work as well, right? 7ths, 9ths, sus, and all that?

Here are the 7th chords you can use in D minor.

Fmaj7
Gm7
Am7
BbMaj7
C7
Dm7
Em7b5 (Probably best not to use this one either)

As for the other ones, just look at the notes you're adding. If you make a variation to a chord, and a note in the chord isn't in the D minor scale, you might have some trouble soloing over it. However, if you're just sticking to a progression, chords that are out of key can make it sound more interesting.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
ah, again, thank you. I do have some lessons on my computer as far as chord construction and such, I'll see if I can actually understand them now.

And, well, I suppose if anyone else wants to help, feel free.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay