hey
i asked the other day how to do drop d tuning
and i got replies bak say that all its is, is the top e become a d and that i can do it on a guitar tuner but my tuner wont let me tune my e down to a d.
the tuner only comes up wit 7B when tunin 6E down

can any1 help

thanx
Its very simple to tune to Drop D even without out a tuner. You know how, when in standard tuning, your low E string played at the 5th fret is the same tone as your A string?
All youve gotta do, is tune your low E string down so that when it is played at the 7th fret its tone matches the A string.
Another way to look at it is octaves.

E - 6th string
A - 5th string
D - 4th string
G - 3rd string
B - 2nd string
e - 1st string

You want to take the low E (6th string) to D. So if you pluck the E string while fingering the 12th fret and start to tune down it should match the same note as an open 4th (D) string
Instead of using a tuner, use your ear.
Start by playing an A on your low E string (5th fret) in Standard E tuning, while playing the A string below it open. You should be able to tell the notes are the same (assuming the guitar is in tune). Now, start turning your tuning knob for the low E string down, the goal is to make it flat a whole step. You can tell when you hit D because in drop D, the 7th fret is an A so it will sound the same as an open A string.
Hope this helps
Quote by nuttypom
reply to acoginthesystem
yep i have a button for flats

Okay then here's what you do. Take the flats and hit it twice. Your tuner should read Ebb.

That means you're taking the E note down two steps, from E to Eb/D# to Ebb or just D. Now once your tuner reads Ebb then pluck the E string until it tunes. You can also use my previous comment and the comment before mine to check to make sure it's in tune correctly.
Last edited by acoginthesystem at Jan 26, 2008,
Hello! This is my first time posting here.

I'm still a beginner and had the same problem. This site helped me out alot! It's an online tuner. Just pick your tuning on the right and click PLAY beneath the D string. Try to match the sound up with your guitar. It may take a while to get your ear trained but, you'll notice when you play.

I hope this helps:

http://www.get-tuned.com/guitar_tuner.php
The way i drop D tune is i keep tuning down till your low E strings 7th fret sound like the A string.
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
thanx every1 for that i finally got it
usin the 7th fret way and eventually gettin it rite wit my tuner
thanx heaps