I've been wondering for awhile now...I have a lot of different places to change EQ settings (my bass, amp, and effects pedal). They all have bass, mid, and treble knobs. When dialing in a tone, what should I do with all these knobs? Should they all be turned the same way to emulate each other? (i.e. if i turn mids up on my bass should i turn it the same amount on my amp/pedal?)
The way I like to put it is that the last EQ is the one that really makes the difference. I consider it the gate keeper. All EQ's before the final gate keeper EQ is more of a 'balance' - it's the shape of the final EQ that'll more-or-less determine your sound. When you, say, cut all the treble on your amp EQ, but boost the treble by a certain amount on your pedal EQ, it's not the same as a flat treble on your amp EQ. Pedal EQ's before amp EQ's basically balance the sound a certain way - if you boost the bass and treble but scoop the mids, it'll just balance itself that way (as if it had naturally less mids and more bass/treble), then to be "actually" EQ'd by the amp's EQ.

I don't know if that made any sense.

You can set them the same and will probably like it, but the point of 2 EQs is to mix it up. If you're doing the same thing, just use 1 EQ. Ya dig?

Also, if you put the EQ pedal in the dedicated effects loop, you're actually putting it AFTER the amp's EQ. IMO, if your pedal has a bunch of bands, you'll want to do that, as it'll have more overall flexibility on your tone. The amp's EQ would almost act like an EQ onboard an active bass (assuming yout bass is passive).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
So let's see if I understood this correctly...

My setup is: bass -> pedal -> amp

So the amp is the most important EQ? Maybe it's just because my amp is a PoS, but changing the eq on it doesn't seem to do much. Changing the EQ knobs on my bass seem to change the tone more (it is an active bass btw).

Also, I'm not entirely sure what a dedicated effects loop is or how many bands my pedal has.
Quote by barb3rman

Also, I'm not entirely sure what a dedicated effects loop is or how many bands my pedal has.

Normally, people go guitar=>effect=>amp.

Some people like their effects between the pre and power amps, so after EQing by the amp. If your amp has effect send/return jacks, you can have a dedicated effects loop if you so desire.

The bands is how many ways you can manipulate your EQ. e.g. a 2 band eq will have bass and treble controls. 3 band will introduce a mids band, and even higher has inbetween and beyond.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I don't think there is a way for me to do this. My amp has an input jack in the front and a line out in the back. I don't think there is a way for me to make my effects last in line. How could I go about wiring this so it works?

Oh and also, my amp, bass and pedal all have a 3 band EQ
Dedicated effects loops are generally only used for certain pedal which work better behind the EQ (e.g. delay and reverbs are often put after the EQ in the effects loop). Some pretty muc have to go before the main EQing (esp. distortions).

Use the EQ on the pedals to mainipulate the sound the pedals produce. The main EQ os for sculpting your overall tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by FbSa
You have a line out, but not an effects loop? That's foriegn to me. But I usually set my EQ's on my bass and my amp. I usually don't use my pedals EQ.

My SVT-Classic has no effects loop at all, but a balanced line out and speakon jacks. That's my only gripe about it, the lack of an effects loop. TS, Try setting the EQ on your bass and pedal flat, and using the EQ on your amp for everything. That's what I do. It may be right, it may be wrong, but I get the tone I like out of it so that's what matters.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Do any all tube heads have effects loops? I can imagine it being an impedence nightmare.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Do any all tube heads have effects loops? I can imagine it being an impedence nightmare.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Marshall VBA400.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Marshall VBA400.

No kidding. Then again, impedence is that least of a Marshall Bass amp's problems.
Quote by Cody_Grey102