ok, so I have a pair of studio headphones that I use for music and games and stuff late at night. well after a week of not using them (they've just been sitting on my desk), I picked them up again today and I discovered that one side of the headphones doesn't work anymore. they're fairly old, but idk how this problem could happen so suddenly, i don't know squat about wiring, but does anybody know how I might fix this
you have to try opening them up and finding the break in the wire. Chances are it will be at a solder joint like at the speaker or at a pivot joint in the structure of the phones.

Somewhere theres a break, good luck finding it
and what do I do if I find a break? i've never used a soldering gun. (like I said I know squat about wiring)
erm were they expensive headphones?

do they have a warranty, if you should get them fixed.

if they were not too expensive... get a new pair
Quote by petrina_678
erm were they expensive headphones?

do they have a warranty, if you should get them fixed.

if they were not too expensive... get a new pair

I'll probably end up getting a new pair anyway, I was just wondering if there was a quick and easy way to fix it.
youtube or google something on soldering 101 and get a fairly good iron/solder.
its not too hard but takes a little while to learn.
I suggest getting some wires and practicing before trying your phones cables.

also some cables in headphones will have nylon strands in them so you may have to trim that out of the way before soldering.
that sort of thing doesnt "Just happen". you got a brother or sister who could have yanked on the chord by accident and not told you?
nope, i'm an only child, last weekend they were fine, then they sat on my desk for a week, and now the one side doesn't work
same thing happened to me for my earphones... but they were kind of old. how old are your headphones? more than 2 years?
yea they're pretty old, but idk for sure. my dad had them before me, and I've sort of been "borrowing" them for about a year.
well i'd say your problem is pretty common for old headphones and earphones.... sad though lol
yea soldering joints are weak connections and over time, handling the phones will cause a break at one of the joints.
Its probably easier and best to upgrade to new phones.

If you have the cash, Grado Labs SR-80 phones are good, also are the Sony MDR 7506
its probably not worth your time to try to fix them. Most headphones/earphones have microwires in them that are ****ing assrape to try to solder. I'd recommend just buying new ones.