So I'm pretty much set on a new amp, the Carvin bx600, but I'm not sure what cabs to get.

I would get a pair of Carvins, but I'm looking for a 4x10 and a 1x18, and the Carvin 4x10 is 8ohms and the 1x18 is 4ohms, so I don't think it would work.

I'm looking for something between the price range of £200 to £400 for each cab, and I was thinking maybe a pair of Eden or Avatar cabs. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to get or any opinions on what model cabs to get? Also does anyone have any experiences with the brands?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jan 26, 2008,
Quote by fleajr_1412
So I'm pretty much set on a new amp, the Carvin bx600, but I'm not sure what cabs to get.

I would get a pair of Carvins, but I'm looking for a 4x10 and a 1x18, and the Carvin 4x10 is 8ohms and the 1x18 is 4ohms, so I don't think it would work.

I'm looking for something between the price range of £200 to £400 for each cab, and I was thinking maybe a pair of Eden of Avatar cabs. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to get or any opinions on what model cabs to get?

The 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab bring the ohmage down to 2.66666 I think, and according to carvins website, the head does run 600w at 2ohms, so I believe you should be alright.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Ok thanks, but do you have any suggestions on what other cabs to get other than Carvin, Avatar or Eden?
Quote by skater dan0
cmon guys, is anyone gonna help?
Quote by skater dan0
Trace Elliot are good. They have celestion speakers in which are gorgeous.

There's the Neo Ashdown cabs that are very good too.

Typically both manufacturers make ~300W 8ohm 4x10s.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Why would I suggest other cabs when you have three of the best cabs in the business picked out? If you want my true recommendation, I would say get the Avatar or Carvin neo 210 and a Carvin 115. You'll be running at 2 ohms, full capacity, 600 watts, with 2 very nice cabinets covering a very full range of sounds. The other idea that you might want to explore is the Avatar 212 and Carvin 115.
I have the BR-118, and it is very very nice. But it's an extension cab, I think you've got that figured out though. And a 4x10 would be overkill if you're going to add an 18" or a 15". I would say go ahead and get the 18" because they're the same price It doesn't come with a tweeter, but if you ever pick up 5-string then you'll be in good hands.

So my suggestion is a 2x10 and an 1x18.
I've been converted to 12" speakers in cabs today, I bought I GK head and 2x12 cab with neodymium speakers, and I am amazed, like tens but with more clarity and low end response, so I reccomend any number of 12" cabs. You won't be dissapointed.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
I've been converted to 12" speakers in cabs today, I bought I GK head and 2x12 cab with neodymium speakers, and I am amazed, like tens but with more clarity and low end response, so I reccomend any number of 12" cabs. You won't be dissapointed.

12" cabs will come back in favour with the emergence of the Neodymium speakers, weight was always the problem with muti 12" cabs especialy 4x12s.

I do believe that Celestion speakers are now being made in the far east.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Why would I suggest other cabs when you have three of the best cabs in the business picked out? If you want my true recommendation, I would say get the Avatar or Carvin neo 210 and a Carvin 115. You'll be running at 2 ohms, full capacity, 600 watts, with 2 very nice cabinets covering a very full range of sounds. The other idea that you might want to explore is the Avatar 212 and Carvin 115.

I have yet to be convinced about Bass amps being run down to 2 ohms even if the manufacturers claim it, as a manfacturer of stands I visited many shops with Peavey power amps that had cooked through being run in to 2 ohms even though peavey claimed it to be ok.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I have yet to be convinced about Bass amps being run down to 2 ohms even if the manufacturers claim it, as a manfacturer of stands I visited many shops with Peavey power amps that had cooked through being run in to 2 ohms even though peavey claimed it to be ok.

Yeah thats what I'm worried about.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by John Swift
12" cabs will come back in favour with the emergence of the Neodymium speakers, weight was always the problem with muti 12" cabs especialy 4x12s.

I do believe that Celestion speakers are now being made in the far east.

4x12" are not fun to carry anywhere.

It takes three of us to haul my lead guitarists up on ENGL 4x12 onto the stage. And it doesn't do stairs. Thankfully it has got casters so as soon as it's on a level ground you can just roll it

I have a Celestion in my now practise amp. It's a gorgeous speaker. Shame the amp isn't upto it for live stuff.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
^Neodymium is a far lighter magnet material than ceramic.

Quote by John Swift

I seriously doubt that the Peavey's were made with the quality of the Carvins. I know Carvin isn't as attentive to the little things as a boutique company, but they're still fairly, smallish in in terms of their quality and seemingly genuine care for their customers.