when I play 5
5 on my guitar theres to much sustain after it. how can I tackle this problem? thesong I'm playing is dying in your arms by trivium.

(the 5's are meant to be lined up)
Too much sustain? Elaborate, and which part of the song are you talking about, exact time in the song... e.g 2:30 or something.
TOO much sustain? I wish i could get MORE sustain, lol. Yeah anyway, is it staccato picking (letting go of the fret fingering right after the note is played)?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Never heard of this problem What a strange world...
I'm sorry for my bad English
Errr...

take your finger off the strings/mute it with your picking hand to stop it sustaining....
I'd imagine what you mean is that the note continues ringing for too long after you play it. There's a technique called staccato, where you lift your finger off of the fretboard while still keeping it on the string, which cuts off the note.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by StonaLemons
Errr...

take your finger off the strings/mute it with your picking hand to stop it sustaining....

That and if I'm right about what you're playing that part of the song needs to be palm muted which should cut the sustain to almost nothing anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you want to mute string in non-aggressive way, use PM... Staccato is often to much "staccato"? ok.. can't find the word to express myself...
I'm sorry for my bad English