Poll: Does Really low Vocals Ruin Songs For You?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does Really low Vocals Ruin Songs For You?
Yes, I Hate It
61 40%
No, I Like The Dark Feel
67 44%
I Don't Really Care, I Listen To It For The Instrumentals
24 16%
Voters: 152.
Page 1 of 3
I thought i'd ask this because, everytime i try to get into a death metal band or something (say, Behemoth, I don't know what genre they are), i was listening to song, i thought "this is pretty good" thinking about the guitar, bass and drum parts. Then the singing came in and i was like "W........ T.......... F?"

Seriously, the vocals ruined it for me, it's like this with most songs, i listen to the intro, i really like the guitar parts then the low vocals come in and i can't stand it.

Are you like this with some songs?

EDIT: i mean like supersonic low, like levels that are almost impossible, like Behemoth or Canibal Corpse, there are some examples
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Last edited by Dimster Ds at Jan 26, 2008,
It's all opinion I guess, but I agree, sometimes the vocals can ruin the song
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
its cos of all those ****s that scream on records, ruin it

and people who think fast music = good music and dont actually put any effort into making it sound good

pff, ****ing metalheads
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap

Put this in your sig if you realise this is because rock has become stale and unoriginal, while hip hop is continually evolving and truer to it's roots
Yeah, growling sucks.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
try out "giving up hurts the most" by Underoath. yea I know theyre screamo now but this is back in 03 when the were straight up death metal(kind of has a higher scream.)
i hate nile and necrophagist for this reason exactly
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Quote by frusciante39
its cos of all those ****s that scream on records, ruin it

1.and people who think fast music = good music and dont actually put any effort into making it sound good

2. pff, ****ing metalheads

1. I dont think anyone actually does think that.

2. Way to generalize and stereotype. Ever heard of speedcore?
nile are insaneeee!!
behemoth are awful for this reason though
theres a limit, they blew it over!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
yeh COB's vocals are a bit annoying..same with as i lay dying in their early stuff
Firstly, growls, grunts and screams are all different techniques.

But the fact is, most death metal music would not work without death vocals. There is no way Nile could really use any othewr style of singing.

Understanding and getting used to the vocals is simply a matter of time. You learn to pick out key phrases and words. Soon, it simply becomes more or less normal. The vocals are simply another instrument in the music.

i hate nile and necrophagist for this reason exactly

Nile is a classic example of really low vocals, but it works. They aren't difficult to make out for an experienced listener, and by being so low, it helps to put the emphasis on the other instruments.

However, Nerophagist have increadible vocal work. It isn't much lower than your average speaking voice. He just maked them feel natural.

Death vocals will feel akward to begin with, but stick at it. Soon, you will be unable to imagine some bands without them.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Jan 26, 2008,
I like some.
I like Job For A Cowboy, Glen Benton's Annihilation off Roadrunner United, and a few pretty heavy bands.

Nile, not so much.
I like Cannibal Corpse though.
R E G G A E
gm jack hit it on the head, getting used to vocals. 3 Inches Of Blood I couldnt stand their singing now i love em.
I listen more to the music than the lyrics, so growls are fine, even when they're incomprehensible.

It really depends on the way it's done.
I like Michael Akerfeldt's (Opeth) voice. I also like the use of both screaming and low growling in "Six" by All that Remains.

Whereas Chuck Schuldiner's scream just hurts my ears. Sorry, but it does.
Quote by Dimster Ds
EDIT: i mean like supersonic low, like levels that are almost impossible, like Behemoth or Canibal Corpse, there are some examples

1. Cannibal Corpse wouldn't be Cannibal Corpse without the low vocals. Chris Barnes sucks, but since Corpsegrinder is actually comprehensible, I like them.

2. I, for one, think Nergal's vocals are amazing, layered or live. They're also not low, he has more of a mid-range thing going on.

Honestly, low vocals are used where low vocals are necessary. Imagine Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Decapitated (sort of) without low vocals. They'd suck.

/thread.

EDIT:

Quote by frusciante39
pff, ****ing metalheads

Fucking corporate, mainstream, radio-shagging, bigoted, narrow-minded imbecile.

See, us metalheads can be dicks too. Do not try and put metal down, please.
Last edited by webbtje at Jan 26, 2008,
URRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Is not music, therefore should not be incorperated into music, it does not sound pleasent to my ears. anyone who aproves of this vocal form is downright strange.
Quote by webbtje
Honestly, low vocals are used where low vocals are necessary. Imagine Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Decapitated (sort of) without low vocals. They'd suck.

/thread.

Precisely, although Corpsegrinder sometimes goes quite high with his vocals.

EDIT

And you try to get good death vocals out without getting a sore throat in 2 minutes. It isn't easy at all. Especially when some bands pull of medoldies in death vocals as well.

Death vocals are what suits the music. Can you imagine Necrophagist with clean singing? The raw, aggressive vocals are part ofthe music.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Jan 26, 2008,
I'd love Nile, if it wasn't for the vocals. I don't mind most screaming/growling/whatever vocals, but sometimes it just doesn't fit.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Is not music, therefore should not be incorperated into music, it does not sound pleasent to my ears. anyone who aproves of this vocal form is downright strange.

That URRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is actually words, but your mortal ears cannot comprehend the awesomeness and therefore all you hear is UUURRRHRHRHRHRH.
i hate the the low vocals, but thats just me (i'm a big iron maiden fan, thats another thing)

I can understand the meaning of the dark feel to it but it just wreaks it for me
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
I used to dislike them, but over time they grow on you. You just have to ease yourself in with less extreme vocals, then work you way up to the more insane vocals to get used to it.

Still, I think supersonically low gutturals are a bit cheesy, and don't often add musically to a song. I prefer just some agressive growling, a good example being Exodus' current singer.
I like low screams and growls. Like ones in some hardcore bands and stuff. I also like growling in lots of death metal. But the really really low and fast growls that are impossible to make out are just plain ugly to me.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

You've just won yourself an idiot award. Congratulations.
Nah, low vocals are awesome, imagine Jonny Cash without his deep, masculine, 'I smoke 40 cigarettes a day' voice...
I dont really like the vocals for death metal, but I wouldnt say all low vocals are bad. There isnt any problem with singing low, I just dont like growls personaly.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I'd just rather not have to spend hours listening to something to be able to eventually translate a single word.

A lot of them are perfectly comprehensible. Listen to Frantic Disembowelment by Cannibal Corpse, you can quite easily make out exactly what he's saying.
I'd just rather not have to spend hours listening to something to be able to eventually translate a single word.

Ohhhh! I see, You must be a Mika fan I assume? Wait... Fall Out Boy? My Chemical Romance?
See you can pay out our music for the vocals but we can easily bash your little mainstream, wanna be "music" which is only popular because ignorant douche bags like yourself like to judge every metal band off your opinion of one band you didn't like.

Growls eh? What about yours?
"I can be brown, I can be green**, i can be ignorant like Ichikurosaki!"

**- Insert testicle squeeze here.

Sorry, I don't know the real words.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by deathpidgeon
gm jack hit it on the head, getting used to vocals. 3 Inches Of Blood I couldnt stand their singing now i love em.

the rob halford-like singer is awesome but the screamo one sucks
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
Ohhhh! I see, You must be a Mika fan I assume? Wait... Fall Out Boy? My Chemical Romance?
See you can pay out our music for the vocals but we can easily bash your little mainstream, wanna be "music" which is only popular because ignorant douche bags like yourself like to judge every metal band off your opinion of one band you didn't like.

By saying that you just made yourself look like a douche, good job. Sure he shouldnt bash a whole genre, but you saying that back just makes you look like one of those pricks who think they are so cool because they dont enjoy mainstream music and enjoy going into every UG news post that has one of them involved and going "OMG FALLOUT BOY SUCKS HOW CAN YOU LISTEN TO THAT ****?". Guess what, I dont like death metal due to the vocals, I respect the music but I cannot listen to it because of the vocals. Just like you cant listen to mainstream music because its overplayed.
Quote by Feel bad inc.
By saying that you just made yourself look like a douche, good job. Sure he shouldnt bash a whole genre, but you saying that back just makes you look like one of those pricks who think they are so cool because they dont enjoy mainstream music and enjoy going into every UG news post that has one of them involved and going "OMG FALLOUT BOY SUCKS HOW CAN YOU LISTEN TO THAT ****?". Guess what, I dont like death metal due to the vocals, I respect the music but I cannot listen to it because of the vocals. Just like you cant listen to mainstream music because its overplayed.

wha?

I listen to mainstream music, I was saying he is one of those people that only listen to mainstream and think every other genre or bands that isnt on the radio is ****.

Sorry if that got lost in my little rant.

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

I don't mind growling, screaming, etc.
Don't judge me.
I just prefer to be able to understand the lyrics.
Metallica, Trivium, Atleast they form plausable sentences.
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX

And A7X (which is your avatar) is so underground and cool, right?
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
wha?

I listen to mainstream music, I was saying he is one of those people that only listen to mainstream and think every other genre or band that isnt on the radio is ****.

Meh by the looks he likes the more old mainstream metal and hard rock as well as the chillies. But yeh wasnt sure if you were being one of those metal elitists who are the reason i stay out of the metal forum now or not...
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I don't mind growling, screaming, etc.
Don't judge me.
I just prefer to be able to understand the lyrics.
Metallica, Trivium, Atleast they form plausable sentences.

No one is judging you.
I was just saying you could of just said yes to the poll even posted saying that you dont like them, but you dont have to go band/genre bashing just because you dont happen to like a particular style of vocals.

Quote by Psychedelico
And A7X (which is your avatar) is so underground and cool, right?

Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
wha?

I listen to mainstream music, I was saying he is one of those people that only listen to mainstream and think every other genre or bands that isnt on the radio is ****.

You missed a bit.

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Jan 26, 2008,
Dude COB isn't the low his talking about, cob is a lot higher pitched.

I dont really favour those lows, where u cant distinguish their voices from the bass line, sure it gives a real epic, evil feel to it...but u know, im not into that ****.

Although i do like dethklok

but u know cause they sing about coffee and **** its ok.
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Well thats your choice but there is no need to flame the genre just because you don't like it.
Page 1 of 3