I've got a DS-1, but I think I could get much better tone out of my guitar. I've got no big music stores anywhere near me, so I can't try any pedals out. I usually play blues, classic rock, and 70s-80s metal. Does anyone think that I could get a better sound from a different pedal, or is the DS-1 ok? I'll spend around $50-$120.
Quote by DevilsDance76
rigeljs is on the money...

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
try getting a blues driver pedal
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
depends on the type of sound you want. and your gear, of course.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
I play the exact same types of music (especially 80's Metal) and use a DS-1, but it's slowly falling appart right now so do any of you know any pedals which can do all those genres, but especially 80's metal (Dokken, Quiet Riot, Van Halen style)
Well, I'm looking for something kinda versatile, that can go from srv-blues tone to GNR/ACDC type metal. Right now, I've got the DS-1, a Dunlop Slash Wah, and a Roland Cube 30x. Do you think those blues drives have a high enough gain?
Quote by DevilsDance76

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
I have the Ds-1 too (doesn't everyone do?) and I performed the Keeley mod on it a few days ago, and my mediocre sounding Ds-1 now is a really usable distortion, it's amazing what a few resistors and caps can do. If you are alright with soldering I recommend it, it's certainly the cheapest way to get a good sounding pedal.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Are there any pedals which just sound great for what I want without having to mod them?
Quote by icon_player_5
try getting a blues driver pedal

+1

Depending on the sound your looking for, I'd suggest a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, EHX Sovtek Big Muff, or MXR Distortion III.

Yes. THe Blues Driver has QUITE enough gain. It's no metal pedal, but max gain is too much for me. My BD-2 + MXR Micro Amp=amazing. The best part is if you set it correctly (Volume at like 10-11 o clock, gain at 11 o clock, and tone whereever, I prefer it straight up or between 11 and 1, it is amazingly dynamic. You cna lightly pick and get a clean tone, or strum hard and get great dirt. I set my gain like that, and then if I ever need more gain, my Micro Amp is there for me.)
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet at Jan 26, 2008,
Ok, so far I'm looking at either the OS-2 or the BD-2. But are you sure I can still play my Ozzy songs with these?
Quote by DevilsDance76

Yes the BD-2 offers a lot of gain.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Alright, thanks.
Quote by DevilsDance76