i understand that knowing your scales is an essential part to learning the guitar.....i taught myself how to play by tabs....i learned some technical stuff from my uncle....i know chords and stuff but i'm having trouble understanding how to read the scale lessons....maybe its that i don't know something that i'm supposed to...can somebody give me some advice
What is it precisely that you're having a problem with? Is it that you don't understand a particular direction in the lessons? Is it playing them that's the problem, or is it the application?
My gear:
Ibanez RG350DX - Vintage VR3000 - Squire Telecaster
Marshall 15W
RAT distortion pedal - Boss Compression\Sustain pedal
in the lessons it talks about root notes and octaves.....i understand whole and half steps, but i dont have them memorized for each string...should i memorize them?
yea, thats probably the best thing to do.

im not sure the actual notation, whatever it is, for ex W W H W W H W H (dont laugh :p)
then learn that on every string, and you will hear it sounds like an actual melody (vs chromatic scale or whatever) its better to do it that way than this :
------------------------------------------2-3-5
------------------------------------3-5-----
----------------------------2-4-5----------
--------------------2-4-5---------------
-------------2-3-5-----------------------
---2-3-5---------------------------------

coz the 'W H W' stuff gives you a propper understanding of scales, which is essential
This site has a video tutorial on scales and working out where notes are. Not the greatest tutorial, but you get the idea. The central problem is not the logic, but why it is important. When you have the fretboard map worked out then you can play around with notes/chords and - having something pleasing you can write it down and transcribe it to another key. Crudely play the same thing higher or lower. Without this knowledge you are stuck with following someone else's work to the letter.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.tv/guitar_lessons/figuring_out_notes.html?voted
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by strat2010
in the lessons it talks about root notes and octaves.....i understand whole and half steps, but i dont have them memorized for each string...should i memorize them?

Yup - you can't learn scales without knowing the notes they contain, and you can't use them effectively without knowing where those notes appear on the fretboard.

Read "The Crusade" articles in the columns section, they'll help...a lot
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com