i can play fall out boy, green day(not all the old solos) and pop punk stuff easily. what can i play that is a step forward but wont leave my completely out of my depth?
yeah like he said...learn scales and theory. i would say start with your basic pentatonics, and learn them up and down the neck.
how about don't play fall out boy and green day?

learns scales theroy and chords the interent has a wide variety of lessons use thoughs and also get a teacher
What do you play?

Guitar/bass/drums/keyboard/...koto??!?

I'm gonna assume guitar.. So I'd probably say something along the lines of:

Kiss
Presidents of the USA (they use wierd tunings :p)
Queensrÿche
Savatage

I can't really think of anything else that actually relates(at all) to those genres at all, plus i'm also trying to push you towards a better genre

Edit: To all you other guys, theres no point in him learning theory when he can't actually play guitar that well yet, there's not even a point if he's just gonna play punk.
Quote by Drakaru

Edit: To all you other guys, theres no point in him learning theory when he can't actually play guitar that well yet, there's not even a point if he's just gonna play punk.

Quote by Horlicks

Wtf man, atleast give a decent reponse rather than a pile of **** smily...

Basically there is NO point in learning theory of music for punk when he's only a beginner at guitar. What's the point in learning some scales when you're not going to be able incorporate them into your music?
Quote by 5dilloneastoe
I can do pentatonic scales, i learnt it two years ago, they are simple

but can you use them? Ton's of amazing guitarists use penatonics and use them amazingly well. work on emotional expression through solo's and such
|
Quote by Jamingguitarist
but can you use them? Ton's of amazing guitarists use penatonics and use them amazingly well. work on emotional expression through solo's and such

We're talking about punk here....

From my experience with punk, you play power chords and **** about on stage, thats about it
^ Depends what you mean by punk, even green day have ''solos''. Listen to something like NOFX, they have lots of lead work