Okay, I've been using reaper but it seems slightly complicated for someone with very little experience like me.

Is there any other simple free programs that will do a good job of hosting and playing VSTi's?

Thanks.

Audacity? I don't know if it will run VSTi's tho. If not you're going to have to spend some money.

DS
I think you can do it with Ardour. Check it out. Audacity definitely won't work.
There is poetry in despair.
is ther one for windows? it says that ardour is for mac only.
Up the Punx!
Hmm, I didn't know it was for Mac only. In that case, I don't know of a free one, but if you dont have any money then I really suggest sitting down and really trying to get to grips with Reaper, using the help manual and such. I'm sure people here would be happy to help you with any problems you have.
There is poetry in despair.
If you cant work it out with reaper..youll never figure it out with another program..reaper has to be the simplest one to use IMHO.
all of them work the same way...maybe what you need is a MIDI keyboard so you can play them with your hands instead of programming them beat per beat

i would suggest you stick with Reaper or something that uses very little resources while running...VSTs rack up the RAM & CPU usage. the last thing you need is a DAW taking up half of that on itself