I went to a guitar shop that is about an hour away, and played an Ibanez RG series of some sort. It was the best guitar I've ever played. I've played a couple gibsons and a fender, and this was the best by FAR. But I cant find anything in the reviews, so could someone tell me things about them??

Here's a link:
http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG370DXL
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Last edited by Angus_Junior35 at Jan 26, 2008,
the Ibanez RG series is like really versatile, and they have like imo the best necks in the world, they are Wizard II necks, theyre super thin and fast. And the RG series usually come with pretty good stock PU's, i myself have a RG321 and i love it, its also one of the best guitars i've ever played
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
That has an Edge III bridge, which is crap, but an Original Floyd will swap just fine.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I played the exact one last night at L&M. It was used, $350 CDN. Should I maybe look into getting this beast? Is it possible to switch the Edge 3 out?

yes and an OFR will drop right in.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
So is $350 used a solid value for this thing? 'Cause I can easily afford it. What's it worth new, do ya know?

Try to bargain with the salesman, see if you can get it for 300, if you can, which is a sweet deal, then if you can get an OFR cheap, you'll have a great guitar in the long run.
Quote by Eric 666
Try to bargain with the salesman, see if you can get it for 300, if you can, which is a sweet deal, then if you can get an OFR cheap, you'll have a great guitar in the long run.

Well, I am trading in my Epi LP towards it; so $300 for LP apparently, pays for most of the guitar, plus I have an $80 giftcard for L & M. So...it's not like it's a big deal; by the way...what is an OFR exactly, and can you tell me the advantages of having that over an Edge III? I'm kinda new to the whole Floyd Rose/Ibanez thing.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, I am trading in my Epi LP towards it; so $300 for LP apparently, pays for most of the guitar, plus I have an $80 giftcard for L & M. So...it's not like it's a big deal; by the way...what is an OFR exactly, and can you tell me the advantages of having that over an Edge III? I'm kinda new to the whole Floyd Rose/Ibanez thing.

The Edge III is a machine made of putty and tin foil http://lawl.net/gtr/trems check that site out, very useful, but the Edge III wont last very long unless you set it up right. And the OFR is the Original Floyd Rose which is the original locking tremolo system developed in the late 70's by....you guessed it, Floyd Rose himself.
Great guitar, only lacks good pickups and a good trem. Can easily swap the trem to an OFR, no problem there. And the pickup too are up to you should you decide to change it. Cant go much wrong with an RG.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
So could I get a different bridge put in it then?

yeah in this case the Original Floyd would fit right in without unnecesary routing and modifications...which is a very good thing, if you wanted an Edge Pro/Edge/ZR/Gotoh, then that's a different story.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
So is this OFR a good tremolo, and it will be good compared to the Edge III?

again, the OFR is the Original Floyd Rose tremolo, arguably the best tremolo system there is, and made of heat treated steel, which makes it very durable.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Any idea how much that might cost to get it installed? Canadian funds, preferrably?

well an OFR costs (in USD) 179 for the chrome, 189 for the black one I believe 199 for the gold one, and installing it, you can probably take it to a luthier and see how much is costs.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Hmmm, well they can't be much more here in Canada. I might go and check that option out; during a setup do you think they'd install it for me?

probably but for an extra fee of course.
Ugh, extra fees. Oh well I did have 800-900 bucks to spend anyways. What do you suggest I swap the pickups for? I like metal, rock, (Iron Maiden, Zep, Megadeth anything really) and uhhh yeah. I was thinking maybe EMG's but I dunno.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Ugh, extra fees. Oh well I did have 800-900 bucks to spend anyways. What do you suggest I swap the pickups for? I like metal, rock, (Iron Maiden, Zep, Megadeth anything really) and uhhh yeah. I was thinking maybe EMG's but I dunno.

DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans might be the best choice in this case.
well Seymour Duncan JB and a 59 set would be good, and that runs I believe about 150, DiMarzios are on the same vein.
Alright well this is definitely a good, good option. I shall pursue it. I thank you very much for your help. I will make more posts eventually, about how my endeavour is going.

P.S. - To Threadstarter

Sorry I kind of hijacked your thread. It just seemed like it would be easier than making a near identical thread.
Quote by one vision
Edge 3 dude, rethink it.

+1
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Oh well I did have 800-900 bucks to spend anyways.

If you have that much don't get an Ibanez with a crap trem, either get an RG1570 (which is made in Japan and far better quality than the 370), or an S470 (which has the same neck as the 370, and a better trem, but only 22 frets). There's no reason to hassle with replacing the trem when can get a better guitar with a better trem for the price of a 370+new trem.
But if I can make this guitar decent for a smaller cost?...Everyone is saying it's a good guitar...ugh, I suppose I shall look at the 1570, I guess. Does it even come left handed? In more than 1 colour option?
Dude, the edge III is fine as long as you get it set-up right and don't abuse the **** out of it. It will wear out eventually, but all LFR's do.

Quote by Fl0ydR0se
Lol, edge 3 sucks, i have Ibanez GRG270B ( http://j0r0.hit.bg/IbanezGRG270B_body_front.JPG ), but i have there ILT (Perfect floyd rose copy) and its good. It's the same bridge than floy rose, but made by ibanez.

What?!?
Quote by JD Red LP
Dude, the edge III is fine as long as you get it set-up right and don't abuse the **** out of it. It will wear out eventually, but all LFR's do.

What?!?

not quite man. Hardened steel makes a big difference. I have an original Edge from 1993, and the edges are still perfect. It's seen plenty of abuse too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
not quite man. Hardened steel makes a big difference. I have an original Edge from 1993, and the edges are still perfect. It's seen plenty of abuse too.

I know, I was talking about generic LFR's, not the edge. I personally think of the edge/lo-pro/edge pro as being equals to the OFR.
I've owned my 370dx(basically the same guitar just minus the pickguard) for over a year now and love the guitar but also absolutly hate it as well. Heres all the work you have to put into to it make it 100%

Normal setup stuff:
Adjust Truss Rod for neck relief
Intonation adjustment
Bridge height adjustment
Had to tighten all screws
Neck screws need to be retightened once a month and check after playing heavy.
Also neck and boddy will creak when doing tremolo acrobatics so if your recording might be an issue. Because it is loud..

Now the fun stuff:
The guitar does not come shimmed so you we have to insert a shim in the neck or you will never get the relief and bridge angle correct also fixs alot of the buzzing issues.

Routing of the trem cavity so you can Get your pull on!(In the words of Dimebag)
Basically you can only pull the trem back a quarter of what you should be able too.

Shim the locking nut as well. Was too low and caused buzz.

Also the pickups were decent but had to be replaced and depending on the pickup you might have to route out to make a slightly bigger hole for the pickup.

Tremolo after one month had knife edge wear and that was with minimial use.

Also. If your changing tunings at all do not go with a Floyd based gutiar!

Stretch the hell out of your strings before you lock it down and tune it or you will get the wrath of retuning the thing 50 times before it sets it place right.

Now for the good stuff:

It plays like a dream
Extremely low action with no buzz
Fast neck and comfortable
Stayed in tune (Altough now i have it locked down in the current configuration)
Still some minor tweaks need to be done but all in all its pretty good.

But on the other hand i will never buy a low end RG again.

So if your keen on doing all of the above and wasting alot of time then go for it you will love it.

Also this guitar was purchased brand new and was never played straight from the factory in the box.

And heres a link to a good place to purchase guitars with a payment plan, no credit needed. This is were i buy all my stuff online.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-RG350DX-WH.html
Quote by Fl0ydR0se
Lol, edge 3 sucks, i have Ibanez GRG270B ( http://j0r0.hit.bg/IbanezGRG270B_body_front.JPG ) with ILT 1 (Perfect floyd rose copy) and its good. It's the same bridge than floy rose, but made by ibanez.

Thats worse than the Edge III dumb ass. The LO-TRS is the worst trem ever made. The Edge III isn't even that bad, if you know how to take care of a trem, and know how it works, it works good.