i just can't seem to make it work... like i can with real basic progressions n stuff, but once u break out o like really basic strumming and really easy chords, it gets like impossible. any suggestions?
play really slow and sing slow with your playng do it as slow as you must so your doing both then gradually increase speed. so basicaly (Practice)
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
the way i do it is i sing first and get it to almost a subconcious level then i play guitar on top. You can do it vice versa as well but it takes a little practice
focus on the part know know worst.. like i if you know the words of the song perfectly, but the guitar is a bit of a challenge, focus on learning the words good enough to not need to reallt think of them.
You like it
ok here's what i do. first i make sure that i know the riff perfectly...so just kinda play along. when you've got that (and i'm guessing that you do...) just break the song down so you know which syllables (sp?) start during which strum or note you play on the guitar. kinda just match 'em up until can play and sing a little faster, until you have the tempo that you want.

another plus with this method is that if you mess up, you know where to pick up 'cuz you kinda made a mental note on where to start each phrase...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
well, I'm either not experienced in it, but I'd suggest that you learn the parts you want to sing to so well that you can even play them while you are sleeping
at least that's the way I learned how to sing while playing the main riff of come as you are... you're fingers should know what they have to do so can concentrate on singing
but that's only what I think^^
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Write out the rhthym of the guitar, and the rhythm of the vocals, ontop of eachother. Allign them so that each 16th note (or whatever the smallest note value is) and then you can see when to strum and when to sing at the same time. Practicing the song slowly should now be very easy, then you can speed it up.
Quote by linus.d
focus on the part know know worst.. like i if you know the words of the song perfectly, but the guitar is a bit of a challenge, focus on learning the words good enough to not need to reallt think of them.

Thats what I do.
just break it up into sections...i'd say learn the riffs first, then learn the vocals over the riff...?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
hum first, then work up to singing the notes or chords you're playing, then work on the lyrics.
I always have trouble answering this question specifically when people ask me. You have to realise that singing comes as natural as talking. Play a song, and have a conversation with a friend at the same time. Learn the song, no matter how hard the riff is, until you can play it in pitch black or with your eyes closed. You should get it to the point where playing your instrument is just an extension of yourself, and everything should be able to work on autopilot, leaving you only to concentrate on pitch of your voice and the words.

Cheesy? Yes. But it's the best advice I can give about it, it takes a long time to do it well, but once you get it you'll wonder how you couldn't before.
Learn the guitar part so well, that you can have a conversation while you play it. Then learn the lyrics so well you can recite them without thinking. Combine the two. I've never utilized these directions, but a good friend told me them. I will use them soon though.